Jamaican Jerk Chicken and Caribbean Rice with Black Beans

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
Saw this recipe a while back and wanted to give it a try. It's another jerk chicken recipe and this one was a hit. Much tastier than the one I did last month. This one is Jamaican Jerk Chicken. Sided it up with Caribbean Rice and Black Beans. Lastly some grilled carrots.

Sauteed some chopped onion, sliced green bell pepper and some sliced roasted red pepper in my CI pan. Added garlic at end of sautee.

Added black beans, vinegar, tobasco and broth and brought to a boil.

Reduced heat to a simmer, covered and let cook for around 5 minutes.

Stirred in cooked long grain white rice (I cooked this earlier), cumin and oregano. Let it heat through and set aside.

Prepped the carrots real quick. I like these smaller organic carrots.

Used one of my favorite Weber recipes for the carrots. Brushed with melted butter, red wine vinegar and freshly ground nutmeg.

I had gotten the chicken going the night before. Put about 3 1/2 lbs. of wings in the marinade for 24 hours. The marinade consisted of onion, scallions. 2 chopped habaneros (recipe called for scotch bonnets, but I couldn't find those up here), five spice powder, allspice, pepper, thyme, nutmeg and salt. After processing, drizzled in soy sauce and oil. Bagged the wings and into the fridge for a day.

Chicken out of marinade.

Got the wings going over some direct heat.

Last edited:
Watched closely, turning several times.

Done.

Plated it up.

The chicken was fantastic. Heat level was perfect to our taste. I will however, pick up some Scotch Bonnets the next time we're in the Bay Area and use them as called for in the recipe. Skin was wonderfully crisp and overall and chicken was moist and flavorful. The rice and black beans complimented the chicken perfectly. Hope you all have a great Easter Weekend. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Wow Cliff, that looks delicious, I have to give that Jamaican Jerk Chicken recipe a try. Maybe the holy grail.

There's a restaurant in Huntington Beach called Long Boards that has the best Jerk Wings I have ever tasted.
I wanted to get a job there for a week or so just to find out their recipe.

Scotch Bonnets and Habaneros are very close in heat from my experience. Both will turn your taste buds on fire and tear you up for sure. Did you seed them or just dice them up whole? The dinner looks fantastic

Scotch Bonnets and Habaneros are very close in heat from my experience. Both will turn your taste buds on fire and tear you up for sure. Did you seed them or just dice them up whole? The dinner looks fantastic

Thanks Bill. I just diced them up whole, seeds and all and ran them through the food processor with the rest of the gang. I actually thought about doing three next time but I don't think I'll press my luck.

Those look incredible Cliff. Do you have the recipe? I love jerk chicken and would love to try it.

Cliff that looks wonderful. I was all in with the roasted red peppers in the side dish! My favorite! It looks like you cooked the chicken and everything else to perfection as usual! Beautiful meal Cliff!

Cliff, as always out of the ball park. That looks delicious but like Rich said just a little to hot for us. Thanks for sharing a great cook and Happy Easter to you and family.

I love Jerk chicken and yours sounds great. Rice sounds and looks divine! Can you post the details on that recipe? Thanks.

Thanks to all of you for the nice comments.

I love Jerk chicken and yours sounds great. Rice sounds and looks divine! Can you post the details on that recipe? Thanks.

Jim... Here you go. Here's what I used.

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 cup sliced roasted red pepper
1/2 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans (15 to 16 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained. (I used Bush's)
2 tablespoons white vinegar or cider vinegar (I used Cider Vinegar)
few dashes Tabasco
1/2 cup vegetable or chicken broth or water (I used chicken)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons dried leaf oregano
salt and pepper, to taste
3 cups white rice, cooked
chopped fresh cilantro for garnish, optional
sliced green onions for garnish, optional

How to Make It
Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet or saute pan over medium heat. Cook the chopped onion with the red and green bell peppers, stirring constantly, until the onion is translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.

Add black beans, vinegar, Tabasco, and 1/2 cup of broth or water.

Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes.

Check and add more water or broth, if necessary to keep the beans moist.

Stir in cooked rice, cumin, and oregano; heat through.

Back