It’s SmokeFAIL official... the UPDATE! Weber refunded my money and is picking up the EX6.

ClintA.G.

Weber just came out of radio silence... her is what they just emailed to my request for a refund...

Hi Clint,

Thanks for getting back to me. We designed Smoke Fire to direct ash (and grease) downward, avoiding food as much as possible. Wood naturally produces ash while burning, so there is a possibility with any pellet grill that some ash is found inside of and below, the cookbox. Weber engineers took great measures to uniquely design a pellet grill that directs ash down and into an enclosed system so that very little ash should ever reach the cooking grate area.

You'll notice more than usual the first time your grill is used, and that is okay. We recommend cleaning the burn pot and cookbox push the ash into the ash and grease drawer with the provided Weber scraper. See your owner's manual for more details. Please keep in mind the grill is designed for Weber all natural pellets for optimal performance.

As always please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thanks and happy grilling!

Sean M
Weber Consumer Care Team
Weber-Stephen Products LLC “

Second worst mistake than buying the smokefail was buying it from Weber so I can’t get a refund. After being one of the die hard idiots fighting wind, rain and cold competing for several years on all Weber products , this is the last product I will ever buy from this company!!!!
Oh and for whatever it’s worth I am going to file a complaint with the better business bureau for false advertising and hope some one takes legal action! Hopefully someone with enough financial means can hold them legally accountable for ripping off so many consumers!

Either they never tested this or they are even closer to bankruptcy than thought.
They need to stop selling.
Grab all out there
Re-engineer ....
Replace
Get rid of many upper management and overlords

Private equity only rolls headso_O of those BELOW them. You can bet that if someone in the higher ups of the PE overrode warnings from their engineers - and we don't know this to be the case - but it if it is, the engineers will be let go before anything happens to the PE elite.

Well, at least they managed to get a plug for their Weber brand pellets on the useless response.

You know we recommend you use Weber pellets in a grill we specifically said was designed to use pellets from any manufacturer with no problems.
I'll admit that this is a BS answer but I have seen some pellets that are HUGE compared to other brands (diameter and length) and logically I expect that they would feed and burn differently, right? Not making excuses for Weber but maybe someone with more pellet experience can weigh in on this issue specifically.

I'll admit that this is a BS answer but I have seen some pellets that are HUGE compared to other brands (diameter and length) and logically I expect that they would feed and burn differently, right? Not making excuses for Weber but maybe someone with more pellet experience can weigh in on this issue specifically.

That makes sense to me. It certainly is true that if you use pellets that have been allowed to get damp or maybe really poorly made ones you are NOT going to get as good results in ANY pellet grill. These problems, though, seem to exceed what can be explained by this. Most of the users seemed to be using new Weber pellets which I can vouch for how well they work in my grill. If the SmokeFire is recalled I hope they will keep selling the pellets anyway!

Who would have imagined the Achilles heel of something designed to run on any pellet would be,

A pellet.

Joking aside, this just adds to the list of what the claims are versus what reality is. It's a sad day for Weber. I'm curious to see what the response will be on other issues. And I have a feeling it will be a non-response just like what has come out already.

Hi, is the quality of the Smokefire really ant surprise when you consider the decline in quality in other BBQ types they make? Not only that, but even the accessories like spatulas and forks are so thin and flimsy. I thought it odd that so much of their promotional material for the Smokefire was around high temp cooking when nearly everyone who is interested in Weber products already own something that does that. The move into the pellet market and a product that was supposed to meet both needs of the BBQ market seems ill advised. The beauty of older Weber products is the simplicity of use and the quality of build. I think the idea of the Smokefire is too clever for its own good, is over engineered and which by law of averages will result in more technical issues.

The first thing they asked originally, “ what pellets did you use” answer:
Brand new bags of WEBER hickory and apple. That excuse handled, they go into “ very little ash should reach the food”. How isn’t that “ virtually eliminates ash” “ no ash in the cook box or on your food” plain and simple false advertising!

The first thing they asked originally, “ what pellets did you use” answer:
Brand new bags of WEBER hickory and apple. That excuse handled, they go into “ very little ash should reach the food”. How isn’t that “ virtually eliminates ash” “ no ash in the cook box or on your food” plain and simple false advertising!
I'm sure their legal team proofread the marketing and given the use of "wiggle words" gave them just enough room to spin it any way they want.

If you paid for it by credit card you can call the company and dispute charges and perhaps get their attention that way. I had to do that once with a tire/service center I once took my truck to. I was recovering from surgery and could not get under it and they sold me a bill of goods that didn't fix and worse yet much of which they didn't even perform then tried to tell me other parts were at fault. Took the truck to the dealer for final word and they proved the falsehood. I filed with the CC company and got a full refund
BTW I would post videos of the failures on Weber's own facebook page or at least links to YouTube ones you make and every time they try to remove repost it. George Stephens is turning over in his grave I am sure though this is the kind of thing I expected especially after my "experience" with them on my Summit "warranty?". Grill fails (under warranty) Weber response "Oh too bad so sad we don't carry the repair parts any more". Thank you very much, but never again will I spend hard earned cash on anything new from them. I will buy a used one now and then or something else new, but your experience just confirms how low a company they can be and have become. Would not surprise me one bit to one day see a big "For Lease" on the big Weber building at Rt 47 and Interstate 90 in Huntley IL

Last edited:
Private equity only rolls headso_O of those BELOW them. You can bet that if someone in the higher ups of the PE overrode warnings from their engineers - and we don't know this to be the case - but it if it is, the engineers will be let go before anything happens to the PE elite.
Totally agree.
What should be done is different than what will be done.
No P.E.'s were consulted in the making of this. Hah

Wanted to provide an update I just received from Weber....finally! They are going to do the right thing and take the EX6 back.

Sean M (Weber-Stephen Products LLC)

Feb 23, 09:44 CST

Hi Clint

I have arranged for the return and credit. Seko will be reaching out to you to arrange a time and date for pickup similar to the delivery. We ask to allow 7-10 business days for this process to occur. Once the grill is received we will then issue you a credit. I have also deleted your EX6 from your registration.

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Thanks again,

Sean M
Weber Consumer Care Team
Weber-Stephen Products LLC

Yeahhhh! Maybe Weber will do the right thing and get all back (recall shhhhh) and start over.
Re-engineer the whole machine. Do the fan different and especially the cage. Easuly redo the hopper all problems solvable. Make sure the electronics are dead simple. Do the software. Done. Beef up the body from the wheels up. Add lower shelf to stiffen. Extra shelves around. Beef up the materials. No galvanise all tough. Weber done right.
Their choice. Weber for ever or bankruptcy

Back