Kosher salt
1 onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 pound baby carrots, tops trimmed
3 ribs celery, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 pound cremini mushrooms, stems removed and quartered
1 cup red wine
2 cups rich chicken stock
2 bay leaves

So here we go in a Lodge 9QT Dutch Oven.

IMG_1488_zpsrw8k6ere.jpg

Nice looking rib eye roast.

IMG_1494_zpsionqnsvp.jpg

Ready for its adventure.

IMG_1496_zpsapewlzyw.jpg

The CHEATING PART i seared it in the oven at 450* for 30 minutes.

IMG_1498_zps98fehoyb.jpg

I stoked the WSM with Stubbs Charcoal, Mesquite to get the WSM to 350* and used a lot of Hickory wood for the flavor.

The end result was phenomenal, let me know if i cheated or not....:george: And thanks for looking.
IMG_1512_zpsniomcygx.jpg

Thanks JRAiona, Anne Burrell is annoying but this recipe is very tasty, i will tweak the recipe some more the next time i try it.

Jeff, as others have said, there's no cheating there at all - that was a helluva great cook! From my ignorant perspective, this looks like a braise procedure and searing always helps those. But can I ask you this, Jeff: Why did you choose to "sear" in the oven (i.e. indirect) instead of searing on the grill itself before reducing the heat to finish. I ask that from curiosity and not conviction b/c the color you achieved in the end is gorgeous. Absolutely beautiful presentation. I gotta assume the taste, texture, and flavor was equally as awesome. Great job with this, Jeff!

great great looking roast. I wish there was a sliced picture...med rare ? beautiful. no cheating here.

Great looking food, Jeff. Even annoying people have a good idea every once in a while.

No cheating here....unless you used lighter fluid you're not telling us about ;-)

Yes Jeff, that is cheating. I will have to confiscate your DO. Don't let it happen again or the BBQ is next :)

Nice cook!

Jeff, awesome cook and no it wasn't cheating. It's how we use the info and take it to a new level in cooking, and that is one you can have lots of fun with. Looking forward to your next cook and how you improve the dish.

Jeff, as others have said, there's no cheating there at all - that was a helluva great cook! From my ignorant perspective, this looks like a braise procedure and searing always helps those. But can I ask you this, Jeff: Why did you choose to "sear" in the oven (i.e. indirect) instead of searing on the grill itself before reducing the heat to finish. I ask that from curiosity and not conviction b/c the color you achieved in the end is gorgeous. Absolutely beautiful presentation. I gotta assume the taste, texture, and flavor was equally as awesome. Great job with this, Jeff!

Mickey

First time cooking this recipe on my WSM and didn't know how long it would take to get the smoker down from 450* to a constant 350*, so the oven was the likely choice.

great great looking roast. I wish there was a sliced picture...med rare ? beautiful. no cheating here.

You asked and you will receive. Guess i forgot the main one.

IMG_1529_zpsfhw42ety.jpg

Last edited:
Jeff, awesome cook and no it wasn't cheating. It's how we use the info and take it to a new level in cooking, and that is one you can have lots of fun with. Looking forward to your next cook and how you improve the dish.

Yes Jeff, that is cheating. I will have to confiscate your DO. Don't let it happen again or the BBQ is next :)

Nice cook!

Cheating, I think not. Just using all the tools you have available. Looks great!

Gosh darn Jeff!!! How could you have forgotten THAT plate shot? Gorgeous. Cheating.... No way, no how!

Thanks Rich and Barb for the nice complements, Barb, I really liked the Cayenne pepper in this recipe.

Cliff Bartlett
I had to go cook for one of my neighbors daughters 9th Birthday Party as i was posting this and forgot to post the plated picture as my phone was blowing up with text messages saying where are you.
She says the food i cook is yummy.

ChuckO
You always make me laugh with your posts and comments, that 9QT DO is a great addition to anybody's cooking arsenal.

What a beautiful day in the OC, time for another peddle down the Boardwalk.

Till next time.

Well Done! Would only be cheating if it came out of a box or a drive through window. I would love see alot more dutch oven cooks on this site. By the way, How long did it take? The color and texture look amazing in the meat and veggies

Last edited:

Back