Is the Smokenator worth it?

JDLones

I am curious to see what y'all, who have been using your kettles longer than I have, think about the Smokenator. My question is, is it with the $60 for the 1000 model? It seems like you could achieve the same effect by banking your coals on one side, and using fire bricks or something, for the indirect heat. Is there something else to it that I'm missing? I will soon have an Amazon gift card that I could use to get one, but I don't want to waste it if it's not necessary. Any thoughts?

Thanks! :)

I have the smokenator 1000 and it worked great when I first started using it with my kettle a few yrs ago before getting my WSM and finding this site. It has a small water pan to help add moisture during cooks but it sits in the coals so it steams right off pretty fast. You can pretty much do the same thing banking coals on the side like you said for the indirect cook behind blocks or using the Weber baskets. It does help keep more of the direct heat off the food from the coals since its contained behind the insert. It does need to be constantly refilled for long cooks and that's a downside and every time you lift the lid to refill you lose the heat you had built up..

Its a great concept but you can do the same thing for cheaper with other methods..

Two firebricks, and packing your fuel tightly, will achieve the same effect, while being easier to add fuel.

I like what the smokenator does. Sometimes I use it other times I use the snake method. It does create a very moist environment in the kettle.

I just purchased one of these. They said they go 5 hours out 25 briquettes. I will be using on my kettle this weekend. I tried on my ceramic grill last weekend.
www.tiptoptemp.com

I really like mine, I switched the small water pan out for a bread pan, swapped grills to one that lets me tip the ends to add fuel easier. I'll buy another when I move up to a webber 26

I bought 2 of the bigger one for my 26 OTGs. I used 2 times. I spent all smoking session reffiling water every h and briqs every 5/6 h. The scary thing was the increasing T when water was off. Around 50/70 F more in a moment. Then I started using the snake minion method with water pan on top, like this

12317688925_d634f5eecd_c.jpg
[/url]

12317799643_f8888e0c76_c.jpg
[/url]

I had one, and don't recommend it. It comes with a flimsy extender grate, and temps vary a lot from the main cooking grate. The water pan is a joke. I'd use the Minion method on one side with meat on the other, or for long cooks, the fuse method around a mixing bowl.

Ive owned one and no. The attention it commands isn't worth it. I bought the 18" WSM and life has been good. Good Luck!

I've got one. I got one without the hovergrill for around 50 bucks, I think. For me it held 225 so well I thought my thermometer was broken. The water pan is way too small. I suggest either using a bigger water pan (I got some cheap aluminum pans for this reason) or just going without it. For long cooks it really is a pain to reload but taking out the pan gives you more room for charcoal and a longer cook. I only used it for ribs and such before I got my WSM. I'm glad I have it, still use it, but I don't know if I would buy it again.

If you are reading this site, the answer is no. There is lot's of help here on cooking without it.

If you aren't reading this site, you can get it. Although not the best, without additional information, you should be able to do some short smokes. Don't even thing about doing a pork butt with it.

If you are reading this site, the answer is no. There is lot's of help here on cooking without it.

If you aren't reading this site, you can get it. Although not the best, without additional information, you should be able to do some short smokes. Don't even thing about doing a pork butt with it.

Before I got my WSM and found this site I started with a smokenator. I did quite a few pork butts on it with great success and even did multiples a few times as well as a Turkey and etc. It can be done BUT..Be prepared to keep adding charcoal into the insert every couple hrs at the least. The temps will also fluctuate much more than a WSM does but just keep a better eye on it and know how your vents work and react to changes. :)

I have a love/hate relationship with my Smokenator. I find it is great for short smokes (3 hours and less), but can be a pain on longer cooks. It is simple to use though.

I started smoking with my 22.5" OTG using a couple of fire bricks (thanks to my oldest son's suggestion) and I still use this method for a very workable two stage fire set up. I now do most all of my smoking on my smokers but have to admit that you can do really good work with the grill. However, it is much more work extensive maintaining temperatures. One thing, however, when doing ribs or an 8-9 lb. pork butt I have NEVER had to add fuel. Just use a Minion start with Kingsford Original and never a problem.

Regarding the smokenator - I would suggest if you want/need a smoker and have a budget problem to bite the bullet and build a Mini-Joe or buy a Weber 14.5. They will handle most all smoking you need with great efficiency. It is easy to do eight half racks of ribs at once or two pork butts at once without issue. It is considerably easier maintaining temps with the smokers than it is with the grill.

One exception to this - the old Weber grills with three vents in the bottom hold temps about as good as the smokers. I have a buddy who has one (bought it new many years ago) and he smokes regularly with his without issue.

FWIW
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Back