Interesting water retention issue

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I was just visiting my brother who had moved his pit to the patio and noticed that the WSM was back in the garage. He said "Even with the cover on it was collecting water if it rained." Really find that hard to believe but, I have no reason to disbelieve is statement either. Any idea what may be the "problem"?
I'm going to see about a deal on a WSM come Monday just wondering if this is something he's got side way or is this common?

Mine has been sitting on the patio for years, and I've never had a drop of water in it when I open it up. I use the standard cover that came with it, and it has been through a number if tropical storms with no issue. Perhaps he may want to pull a large plastic trash bag over it before the cover goes on.

Perhaps he may want to pull a large plastic trash bag over it before the cover goes on.

That's what I would do. Easy, cheap and waterproof. If you use a plastic bag without the standard cover, put a bungee around it at the bottom to keep the wind from getting up under it and blowing the bag off.

He says it happens even with the (factory) cover on.
As it's not mine and I have not seen the problem, I will mention the bag but, he's pretty stubborn, my bet is it will live in the garage.
I will keep all this information filed for my own WSM when I get one.
Thanks folks.

Is it a 22? I can take it off his hands if he doesn't want to deal with it. :)

The factory cover isn't waterproof, particularly the seams. I just keep the trash bag on top and the vents all open so there is some airflow. The bag makes it easier to put the cover on as well, which is nice. It slides right over the plastic.

If you store your WSM with the middle section flipped you will never have a water problem. Even if you leave it uncovered in the open.

Back