interesting findings kingsford vs stubbs

Just made a trip south into Bellingham a week ago and picked up 3x 2packs of 18lbs Kingsford Comp briquettes at Costo. You cannot find King Comp anywhere around here, further to that All charcoal is WAY over priced in Canada. With the boarder only being 30mins from my front door i'm going to make the trip south for the Memorial day sales in May and stock up.

Stefan, thats exactly what I do, and if you need any new cooking grates head to target.
Even regular price kingsford at Lowes is still way lower than what we can find around here.

Originally posted by Stefan B:
Just made a trip south into Bellingham a week ago and picked up 3x 2packs of 18lbs Kingsford Comp briquettes at Costo. You cannot find King Comp anywhere around here, further to that All charcoal is WAY over priced in Canada. With the boarder only being 30mins from my front door i'm going to make the trip south for the Memorial day sales in May and stock up.
What's the regular price for "K" blue at HD there?

Looking at the chart it looks like the Stubbs did better than the KC. I still like Stubbs better because the KC smells like plywood. I have much better results with Stubbs. When I run out I may just go back to KB and lump because of price and consistency.

Originally posted by Shaun R:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stefan B:
What's the regular price for "K" blue at HD there?

Looking at the chart it looks like the Stubbs did better than the KC. I still like Stubbs better because the KC smells like plywood. I have much better results with Stubbs. When I run out I may just go back to KB and lump because of price and consistency. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
HD does not sell blue "K", at Lowes its ~15$ per 16lb bag.

Originally posted by Dave O:
Stefan, thats exactly what I do, and if you need any new cooking grates head to target.
Even regular price kingsford at Lowes is still way lower than what we can find around here.
Thx for the tip Dave O!

Thanx for posting that Jay.

I haven't tried the Comp K before I'm going to have to try it when I can. I do enjoy stubbs though and I never had it stay that formed before when it goes out. Interesting.

Keep an eye open for sure, they just started selling it a week ago. It's on their website as of a few days ago. According to the site all of the stores in your area carry it in stock.

Originally posted by Mike Purnell:
Keep an eye open for sure, they just started selling it a week ago. It's on their website as of a few days ago. According to the site all of the stores in your area carry it in stock.
Cool i'll check it out. Pretty well stocked with K Comp which i hope will hold me over till the memorial day sales. Not a huge fan of the Canadian Royal Oak that Crappy Tire usually stocks.

I don't mind the lump but not a fan of the briquettes. I've tried to give them a good solid effort because they are so cheap but they just aren't making the cut. I will give kingsford a try. I've only tried it once way back and it stunk, will give it one more go.

I've used Stubb's and K Comp on numerous occasions in all three of my webers. I prefer the K comp for two reasons: (1) it is avail in the grocery store which is 10-12 miles closer than Lowe's which is the only place they have Stubb's here, and (2) it seems to give me less problems on the long, full ring cooks.

Welcome Jay, Great post. Very informative. On this end of the world I need a lower temp burn with slower combustion. Looks like the KC comes closer to that. I also noticed there is a considerable greater amount of ash left with the Stubbs. Ash = waste IMHO.

Originally posted by Dwain Pannell:
I've used Stubb's and K Comp on numerous occasions in all three of my webers. I prefer the K comp... it seems to give me less problems on the long, full ring cooks.

From the little I've used K Comp, I'd say the same thing. Hopefully the K Comp is more consistent bag to bag than the Stubbs.

Originally posted by Dave Russell:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dwain Pannell:
I've used Stubb's and K Comp on numerous occasions in all three of my webers. I prefer the K comp... it seems to give me less problems on the long, full ring cooks.

From the little I've used K Comp, I'd say the same thing. Hopefully the K Comp is more consistent bag to bag than the Stubbs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

32lbs + of pork butt on my 18.5" wsm Friday night with all K Comp, except for 2/3rds a chimney of Kbb lit on top. No Maverick alarms in the middle of the night waking me up because the fire was going out, and no refueling. Wish Costco wasn't the only place with a decent price.

Back