InstantPot

Richard Garcia

TVWBB All-Star
I have a hardly used 2 year old InstantPot that I would like to incorporate into my BBQ/Grilling Sessions. So, will appreciate hearing your experiences on using the Instantpot as a BBQ Accessory??

Last edited:
I use mine with Grilling and BBQ mostly for sides and desert. Mac & Cheese, various rice dishes, potato salad, refried beans, Mexican pinto beans, a couple of different cheese cakes.
Main dishes mostly in the winter.

We use ours to make Mongolian chicken, red beans and rice and cheesecake. The cheesecake is nice after a big plate of BBQ.

I've never used it as an accessory, but that's an interesting thought. I use sous vide as an accessory, for ribs and roasts mainly, sous vide them until fall-off-the-bone tender then finish them on the grill but yeah...that's a good idea!

I never pre cooked anything on it first ( well I did try some bratts once) then BBQ'd but it does make a mean stock with leftover bones.
I did see a video where a guy pressure cooked his wings for about 5 mins and finished on his pellet grill.
Now you got us thinking.;)

Guys: Thanx for the replies; why I am asking this InstantPot Question is when I fire-up my Cajun Bandit Rotisserie on my Weber Performer Deluxe(WPD) there will be no space to place additional grilling items, i.e. Corn-on-the-Cob, Potatoes, Chorizos, etc. Not too interested at-the-same-time in also firing-up my WSM or Weber Smoky Joe to grill additional items. That's where a gas grill will solve this problem and I may purchase one in the near future. So, that got me thinking maybe it's time to take that InstantPot off the shelf and put it to some use to cook-up some BBQ Sides and Dessert when I go the Rotisserie Route??

Last edited:
We use the Insta-Pot to make "re-fried" beans. So much faster and healthier than doing it the old fashioned way.

I've actually never used it, wife does.

We store it on the top shelf in our pantry. Last time we were done with it, my wife stored it away and didn't latch the lid in place. So when I went to pull it down for her to use it the next time the lid fell on my barefoot, I lost hold of the Insta-pot and it landed on my head. So now there is a huge bent area on the side of it, LOL. I have a love-hate relationship with that thing.

We use the Insta-Pot to make "re-fried" beans. So much faster and healthier than doing it the old fashioned way.

We store it on the top shelf in our pantry. Last time we were done with it, my wife stored it away and didn't latch the lid in place. So when I went to pull it down for her to use it the next time the lid fell on my barefoot, I lost hold of the Insta-pot and it landed on my head. So now there is a huge bent area on the side of it, LOL. I have a love-hate relationship with that thing.

Side of the Insta-Pot or your head? :ROFLMAO:

Damn that's some head you got. Back in my mechanic days, I dropped tons of stuff on my noggin. Thanks to not having lifts in the building due to it being multi level (this was before 2 post electric ones) so we did ALL work flat on our backs. Even heavy trans, engine and differential work. And let me tell you. Back in those days (late 60's early 70s) those Caddy pieces were HEEEEAAAAAVY!

I use my instant pot quite a bit during cooler weather. This summer I used it to make Aaron Franklin's bbq bean recipe and it worked really well, but I did that inside. I never thought about taking it outside, but I guess I could do that! I could see doing corn on the cob, or bbq sauce, beans, potato salad, or any variety of dishes that are "wet". Aside from pressure cooking, you can boil, simmer and saute in that thing, and I agree it would be better than firing up another grill.

If you don't already have an instant pot, or another outdoor burner, I could also see using an induction hot plate to cook outdoors with along side a charcoal grill. The only disadvantage vs the instant pot would be no pressure cooking capability.

Made this recipe recently and even cooked the eggs at the same time, six minuet hard boiled eggs.

Instant Pot Hawaiian Potato Salad

What You Need

1 cup water
1 1/2 lb. Yukon gold potatoes (about 3-1/2 inches long and 2-1/2 inches wide), cut crosswise in half
3 eggs
1/2 cup Mayo Homestyle Real Mayonnaise
1/4 cup milk
2Tbs. Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 stalk celery, chopped
1/4 cup shredded peeled carrots
2 green onions, chopped

Let's Make It

Place steamer rack in electric pressure cooker. Add water, then potatoes, cut sides down, to pressure cooker. Place eggs (in shells) on top of potatoes. Close and lock lid. Turn Pressure Release valve to sealing position. Cook 6 min. using HIGH PRESSURE COOK setting. (Or for softer potatoes, cook 7 min.)
Meanwhile, mix mayo, milk, vinegar, sugar and pepper until blended.
Use Quick Pressure Release to release pressure when timer goes off. Turn pressure cooker off. Slowly remove lid. Transfer eggs to bowl of ice water to cool. Meanwhile, transfer potatoes to cutting board; cool 20 min.
Peel potatoes; cut into bite-size pieces. Place in large bowl. Peel, then slice eggs; add to potatoes along with the mayo mixture and all remaining ingredients; mix lightly.
Refrigerate 2 hours.

I’ve used my 8 qt instantpot to make some pretty good weeknight St. Louis ribs before.

Simply prepare as usual and rub, put1 cup of water and the rack in the bottom along with the rolled up rack of ribs. Pressure cook for 20 minutes letting it naturally release for 5-10.
Take them out and finish in the oven at 400 or use your grill.

Got my wife one for Christmas last year and it quickly earned a spot on the kitchen counter. I do chili and BBQ beans in it mostly, but can see using it for sauces and sautéing mushrooms, onions, peppers, and other additions for burgers, brats, etc. I've also used it to sterilize canning jars and process canned jams and jellies. Would be great for canning BBQ sauces that don't keep well too.
I can see smoking a small pork butt or chunk of brisket for a couple of hours and then braising in the pot to finish. It's amazing how versatile these things are.

Sorry to bring up this painful memory but it gave me a good laugh this morning.

Back