Injection Experiments?

Rev. Mark L

So my fourth smoke and I did a 9 lb. Pork Butt overnight (the darn coals did NOT keep going and it was around 100 degrees by morning--but that's a different thread) and tried injecting for the first time: an apple juice/vinegar/Worcestershire concoction I found on the Net. In spite of the charcoal failure and the injection process making a lot of puddles, it all ended up delicious! Ridiculously moist and tasty!

Here's my question: What can I inject various meats with?
Cola? Root Beer?
Flavored vinegars? (Blueberry Balsamic Vinegar, for instance?)
Honey?
Maple Syrup?
Flavored Liquors? (Like, Honey Jack Daniels?)
Any number of sauces?

As you might be able to tell, I favor sweet things. But I don't know all the chemistry rules when it comes to smoking meat.

Thanks for your wisdom. ---Preacher

I used to do deep fried turkey long time ago, I injected the turkey with Bernstein's Italian dressing. It turned out great, very juicy and didn't taste like salad dressing.

I can give you one experience I have had. I tried using apple Jim beam one time on some pork ribs. Did not like the finished product at all. It ended up making the ribs taste like jolly ranchers. I have had success with flavored balsamics, thinned out a bit of course.

For injections, I would stay away from pineapple and papaya due to their tenderizing properties.

I always inject turkeys......tony chacheres creole butter.....or my own chicken broth/butter/garlic

Back