I'm buying the 22.5 WSM very soon... I'm stoked!

Leo Rousseau

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm buying the 22.5 WSM very soon... I'm stoked!$$ I placed my order!$$

After several years of grilling and slow cooking on my Performer I have decided to bite the Bullet... I made my best ribs yet this past weekend and it got me so proud of myself that I decided to move up... I decided to go with the 22 that way I know that I will not always be worried that I didn't go big enough and I can cook my ribs without curling them(I don't care for that look myself)... And brisket won't be a problem... I'm wondering if it's necessary for me to also get the gasket kit or if it's not really needed on the new 22... If there is any add-ons that you guys feel I would need, please share...
Thanks,
Leo

Last edited:
You will love the 22 that's for sure. The gasket kit isn't a must for the smoker as most seal pretty well by themselves. The doors usually come a little out of shape to seal right but can be easily tweaked to do so. The body may be out of round a hair but thats also a easy fix and once broken in the smoker kind of starts to seal itself. I went with the cajun bandit door and its been a great add on over the oem one. The new models come with grommet holes and handles on lower rack so no mods needed for that. Handles on the sides are a plus but also not needed but make easier to move around. Some also add wheels for mobility but that's a user choice too. Tying the charcoal ring to the grate also makes it easier to use and also easier to clean at the end.

You can look at some mods here if you want to check some out but they don't make the smoker do it job better than it already does :) Just makes it easier to use in some ways..

http://virtualweberbullet.com/tipsfaq.html
Congrats on the choice to move up..

Leo;
Welcome to the club! I actually have the 18.5", the Mini-Joe, and a new 14.5" WSM. The dedicated smokers are much easier to use (after they are broken in and have built up a bit of good grunge). The only thing I did to my 18.5" is to notch the barrel so I could pass the wires on my Maverick 732 through without damage. Your new model will have the silicone grommet so you won't even have to do that.

I WOULD suggest the Maverick (they now have a new model - the 733). It makes life SO much easier. The handles on the barrel would be nice but not something you NEED to do. I DID add grate handles on my food grates but, again, the new model has them (something else you don't have to do).

The main thing you have to do is to GET COOKING! Please, share pictures of your cooks with us. Rest assured, you will have one of the finest smokers, at ANY price. The Webers will allow you to reach your highest personal level of performance.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Last edited:
Congrats! You will be very happy with it. We've been competing with 4 bullets for the last two years, and they are awesome. I highly recommend upgrading to the Cajun Bandit door.

Congrats Leo. If you're like me, the anticipation was unbearable waiting to get mine once I knew I was.

Leo;
I got my new 14.5" through this web site to Amazon. Maybe a phone call to one of the Amazon providers will get you the information you need.

FWIW
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I have the older 22.5" and believe me the BBQ experience is awesome. It locks in on temps for hours. Two or three vent adjustments for LONG cooks. Welcome to the party.

You'll love the 22 1/2 WSM Leo. I would get a SuperFast Thermopen and a Maverick. I have the Maverick 732 and has worked excellent.

I am a couple weeks and cooks into my 22.5" WSM. The first cook, I had smoke coming from every seam and the fire didn't go out when I closed all the vents. I immediately decided it was worth it to order the seals. I tried adjusting the door before the second cook, it was better, but still leaked, so I order the SS door replacement too. I did notice that the second cook had less leakage and I was able to put the coals out.

I just install the gaskets last night and the door comes today. When I was doing the gasket install, I noticed that the center barrel was a little out of round, so I gave it a little hug and now that is better too. I am thinking after these changes and a couple more cooks, I'll have this think tight as a drum and then I can start figuring out vent settings...

I took a lot of pictures of the gasket installation, but it is kind of a pain to load here. In case anyone is interested, you can see it here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2802147#post2802147

Back