ill never use newspaper in the chimney again

Sandy B

TVWBB Super Fan
Previously I had always used newspaper as a starter for my chimney. Woke up around 4 to set up the wsm, could not find any ( I suspect it all went to recycling). Debated a store run to get a paper but tried the paper towel with a little oil ( olive and canola mix).

I suspect this is like a poor mans parrafin cube, it burned way longer, the chimney was going really hot lots of flame and I was getting lots of pops from Kingsford blue briquettes. The chimney was ready faster and the coals were a lot more uniformly lit, rather than completely ashen on the bottom and barely lit on top. The best thing is a whole lot less paper ash.
If parrafin is better than the paper towel/oil , its surprising anyone uses newspaper.

Another case where necessity is the mother of all invention.

I use both paper towels and or newspaper sprayed with Pam, I also use the cubes if I have em. Don't see a huge difference other than the paper tends to light the bottom more spread out unless you use cubes and rotate the chimney, which is what I do. Wind has more effect for me than the heat source.

Once I tried the Weber paraffin cubes I never looked back. Just takes one and always a great start.

I am firmly in the camp of Weber starter cubes. I've used them through several boxes. I keep several boxes on hand (all bought on sale) so I don't run out:rolleyes:.

One cube does it for me, too.

Keep smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Never tried the cubes or paper towels, but the side burner of my gasser is awesome for lighting a chimney. :D

Used to use the paper towel sprayed down with Pam. I bought the paraffin cubes and like them a lot better. I HATE the packaging Weber puts them in, but they work great.

I personally see no reason to rotate the chimney anywhere with the paraffin cube. I just put the chimney over the cube right in the middle and let it go.

Yeah,I've used the oil and paper towel trick many times! But I have a nice stock of newspaper. Last weekend,there was a guy at the grocery store giving them away. I had to listen to,and decline,a subscription,but well worth it for free fuel starter!

Used to use the paper towel sprayed down with Pam. I bought the paraffin cubes and like them a lot better. I HATE the packaging Weber puts them in, but they work great.

I personally see no reason to rotate the chimney anywhere with the paraffin cube. I just put the chimney over the cube right in the middle and let it go.

Hate the packaging also, but all manufacturers seem to be just as bad...

Imho diamond strike a match are the best chimney starters and the weber cubes are a close 2nd.

I used to run out of newspaper till I realized....."hey why not grab a few free clasifieds when I go to the grocery store?" I spray with pam and Iike how this works.

I used to run out of newspaper till I realized....."hey why not grab a few free clasifieds when I go to the grocery store?" I spray with pam and Iike how this works.

Aren't those all in color? I thought the conventional wisdom was monotone was better. Plus the paper towel/oil left a lot ash and because it burned longer it was more "flamey". I never used Pam but just newspaper the bottom coals would light and slowly spread up. With the paper towel it was screaming hot and faster.

I might end up with parrafin, but if I don't its paper towel/oil for me from now on.

Too much ash from the newspapers, was enough to get me to stop using them. Then someone stole my chimney right from the top
of the grill in my fenced yard. Back to my old dependable electric starter for now.

Had always used newspaper in the chimney starter until today. Picked up some Weber cubes on an impulse during the week @ Lowe's. Clean, even burn ... Don't think I'll be going back to the newspaper any time soon!

Use the PT dipped in oil to clean and lube the grate after brushing. Save that and use to light the chimney, no waste and the best of both worlds.:)
For the record I use a propane torch or the Weber cubes, but lately have been using the PT more cause I hate tossing anything useful in the trash.

Tim

Sure was! The dirty birds in Atlanta are falling even further behind. Should be fun football weekend coming up. Tigers are going to Georgia for a #6 vs #9 SEC match up. Then the Saint are on Monday night football. Hope the cajuns clean up again this season.

Back