I will just leave this here

Or just find a 2005 Platinum SS frame and create your "Lifetime" grill. I have pretty much decided that I will be doing that with my SS platinum when I get around to rehabbing it. I love my 1000 and it is a solid grill, frame and all, but I just keep thinking I need to treat myself to the best. I already rehabbed and sold one SS Platinum and got a good return for it, but, now I am thinking it is my turn. In fact, I have a group coming over Sunday for dinner and I am going to press that grill into service even though it still has duct tape holding one leg in place...hahaha. I cleaned out the grease pan, scraped the sides of the cook box, brushed the burners and fired it up using the original SS stamped grates. It got over 650 in 15 minutes. I was shocked. It was still rising. I turned all three knobs down to medium and let it go for another 20 minutes to burn off all the remaining gunk and it was still at 580. It is a Platinum C with the extra burner as well.

If I make it my grill, the only things I will have to replace will be the igniter and a set of SS rod grates. But, I can swap over my RCPlanebuyer grates from the 1000 there. Then I will remove the back and side cabinet panels, doors and bottom tray and fab in a couple SS cross members in their place. Drop in a wire basket from another grill and I have a grill that will outlast even that brand new Silver C in the box. For under $150 all in.

Are the cabinets not your thing? Or do they just promote rust by trapping moisture? I think they look nice on the grill, but it seems like that's an issue.

Edit** Skyline out in Western, MA for those of you out that way: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/525086934891999/

Last edited:
Yah, I would probably be good with a cabinet grill, however, they are rust magnates. This is what my SS PLatinum looks like right now. As you can see, this is a shame for a grill that was marketed as Stainless Steel. But weber went cheap on the bottom and sides and this is what you have after 15 years in the midwest. But, I can assure you that the stainless frame itself will be in great shape and even that side cross member on the left will be fine under all that rusted cabinet steel.
Notice the Duct tape holding the left front leg on!

IpIVSho.jpg

THis is another Platinum Stainless that I did earlier this year. It was in similar rust condition and even worse overall condition when I picked it up:

kahTOFG.jpg

Yikes. That's probably want ruined the platinum frame I have, but it has a basket bottom as opposed to a solid bottom. That 2nd one is a great looking grill.

Weber only made the stainless platinum frame for one or two years. Otherwise they just used the basic steel frames like the other genesis grills. You need to find the SS platinum frames, and I know 2005 was one year. They might have used it on one other year. But, as you can expect, they are really hard to find.

Here is a before and after on that grill above. As you can see, it was in pretty tough shape, but the SS frame makes the rehab a lot easier.
BE72tEo.jpg

cr8ANx4.jpg

Last edited:
Weber only made the stainless platinum frame for one or two years. Otherwise they just used the basic steel frames like the other genesis grills. You need to find the SS platinum frames, and I know 2005 was one year. They might have used it on one other year. But, as you can expect, they are really hard to find.

Here is a before and after on that grill above. As you can see, it was in pretty tough shape, but the SS frame makes the rehab a lot easier.
BE72tEo.jpg

cr8ANx4.jpg

I would be tempted to paint the stainless black for the "classic" look, but hey that's just me ....

BE72tEo.jpg

cr8ANx4.jpg

That looks amazing Bruce! What kind of paint did you use to paint the weber kettle on the emblem? I saw a few pictures like that and want to do it for my 1000, looks super sharp!

Edd, you can go to your local auto parts store, buy a can of high temperature red brake caliper paint, and spray some into a paper cup then use a little paintbrush to paint it onto the kettle part of the badge.

Edd, you can go to your local auto parts store, buy a can of high temperature red brake caliper paint, and spray some into a paper cup then use a little paintbrush to paint it onto the kettle part of the badge.

Awesome, thank you. I figured it was this, I was just worried bc sometimes the caliper paints come out orange. If that's what it is, I'm going there on my way home from work lol.

Yep, I did exactly what THyde suggested. Regular Rustoleum Ultra High heat on the back ground and Red Rustoleum 900 Degree caliper paint on the kettle and then a couple coats of Rustoleum High heat clear gloss over the whole thing.

Wow. lack of rehab candidate grills is alarming. I am not in the market for any more grills this year for rehabbing, but I still keep my eye on what is out there and I haven't been tempted by anything for a good three weeks now at least. Any Genesis 1000's and Silver B's and similar are either two burners or priced way above what I am used to paying for them. I am seeing some grills, not really even scraped out or wiped down for nearly what I ask for a fully rehabbed grill. Maybe when the stores start getting serious with end of season sales, people will look to get rid of the old weber out back??? But this feels more like the December, January market right now.

Oh, and my last rehab has been sitting in my garage for a couple weeks now....I think the longest I ever waited to unload a Genesis.

Yep, I did exactly what THyde suggested. Regular Rustoleum Ultra High heat on the back ground and Red Rustoleum 900 Degree caliper paint on the kettle and then a couple coats of Rustoleum High heat clear gloss over the whole thing.

I haven't gone the high heat clear route yet. Bruce, does the clear add life and time to the finish? Meaning, if I redo my emblem (again) and clear coat it, do you notice a significant amount of time that it lasts longer for?

Slainte!

Tim

Peaks and valleys Bruce. I couldn't tempt flies with free sh!t 2 weeks ago, when I was crying the
blues about sales. But this week I have been selling ice to eskimos. Be patient. And remember
to preach patience back to me in a couple months when I start crying the blues about sales again. :D

I am not sure it adds life to the finish, but my guess is that it would. I have only done the red kettle thing a couple of times. The clear coat does add some "glitz" to the emblem overall though IMO.

Peaks and valleys Bruce. I couldn't tempt flies with free sh!t 2 weeks ago, when I was crying the
blues about sales. But this week I have been selling ice to eskimos. Be patient. And remember
to preach patience back to me in a couple months when I start crying the blues about sales again. :D

I will do that Dave. I have my skyline and hopefully, I will get the motivation to finish my bluehead silver B. Then I plan to end my season. I also plan to sort and organize my spare parts and store them away, but somehow, winter cuts those kinds of projects short.

Glad to hear things are moving for you lately.

Funny. My restoration season starts now. We are still in the 90s every day with high humidity and I am so looking forward for some temperatures where I will not be sweating as a pig... lol
I have a two Silver B to finish, one 3000 Skyline and a Summit Gold D4.

Last edited:
Do a build thread on the Summit Gold D4. I think a lot of people would be interested to see how that goes.

My problem is that I forget to take pictures along the way. Inside of the firebox is cleaned. Burners are cleaned. Replaced the push button igniter and one burner igniter and it fired right up on all burners. Need to clean the inside of the hood and cabinet which has another thick layer of rust protecting grease. This thing is pretty awesome. If it had a blue lid I might want to keep it. Lol
I wonder if one could use the smoker burner as a sear burner.

Back