I will just leave this here

So, a question for you flippers. I posted a grill yesterday, $300 for a refurbished redhead Genesis Silver B with all new internals and stainless rod grates. Do you guys get a lot of crappy posts with people laughing or commenting sarcastically on the for sale groups?

Last year I sold a silver c for $350 in an afternoon, so figured it was a good starting point.

I know it's the Internet and people are hiding behind a screen, but man it's annoying.

So, a question for you flippers. I posted a grill yesterday, $300 for a refurbished redhead Genesis Silver B with all new internals and stainless rod grates. Do you guys get a lot of crappy posts with people laughing or commenting sarcastically on the for sale groups?

Last year I sold a silver c for $350 in an afternoon, so figured it was a good starting point.

I know it's the Internet and people are hiding behind a screen, but man it's annoying.
Happens all the time. I sell mixers. When I get done with one, it typically has 5+ hours of labor in it, consumables, and shop supplies notwithstanding I generally have about $20 to $60 worth of things people don't even see. Then on top of that they get a year warranty. All the while I try to maintain the price at about 1/2 of what it would cost new yet still warrant it like new (maybe better). So if I rebuild and put for sale a unit that would sell for $450 I will likely ask $275 to $300. Yet I always get the clown on the market sites sending stupid remarks or offers like $75. I don't even bother responding. People who are that ignorant don't deserve my time

There are a lot of trolls out there. Post a link to your ad if you want an honest opinion from us on it.

I have yet to encounter this but I do copy and paste a pretty good bio and backstory of who I am and what I do into each posting. I also direct people to my FB page to learn more about what I do and to see past examples of my work. I think it adds credibility and allows me to charge a bit more than a one time flipper while keeping the trolls at bay. As far as pricing goes, yes, things can be very regional. Even with that, I always mention that my pricing is fair and firm and have still been able to sell every rehab project at full ask, usually within 48 hours of posting.

Thanks for the info guys. For conversation sake,

This is the listing I posted: https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...etplace/item/797309428432508/?mibextid=dXMIcH

I had more in there but pulled it down and relisted at $280. I didn't post it to the regional for sale groups to limit that garbage.

It's frustrating considering I listed what I did, were the new parts were, etc...

I sold the 2 grills I did last year pretty quickly. A silver c for $350 same day I listed it. And an e320 for $250 (asked $300) after about a week.

@TomRc that's crazy that you can sell them that quick.

I sell my Silver B/C rehabs for $300 plus. I have had little trouble moving them. Sadly, I still have not gotten a grill done and up for sale yet this year however.

This is the listing I posted: https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...etplace/item/797309428432508/?mibextid=dXMIcH

I had more in there but pulled it down and relisted at $280. I didn't post it to the regional for sale groups to limit that garbage.

It's frustrating considering I listed what I did, were the new parts were, etc...

I sold the 2 grills I did last year pretty quickly. A silver c for $350 same day I listed it. And an e320 for $250 (asked $300) after about a week.

I just checked out your listing don’t see anything glaring that’s hurting your ability to sell. It may just be a combination of small things that are holding you back. Here’s my 2 cents...
1. You’ve limited your audience by avoiding the local sale sites. Yes, the FB garage sale groups can be a PIA of noise, etc. However, things get seen and attention is drawn. I list on Marketplace and at least 10 local sale sites with the click of a few buttons with every grill.
2. A sandblasted cook box interior is a difference maker. Breaking the $300 barrier without a bare metal tub might be a tough ask and the cost to have it done usually pays for itself and then some on the sale end.
3. Pictures are free so load em up! Add some different angles. Side view, 3/4 views, close up individual shots of each of the new parts installed as progress pics.
4. Be repetitive and overuse key words like “new” and “stainless” in your descriptions. IE: new stainless steel burners and crosssover tube, new stainless steel flavor bars, new 7mm solid stainless steel grates, etc.
5. Don’t share what the parts cost you. By the time time they’re done reading your newly eloquent description, a potential buyer might’ve already convinced themselves that there’s $200 or more in parts there. Let them keep thinking that way.
Good luck. Your workmanship is on point. Now, you just gotta get some more people to see your handiwork while doing a little self-promoting on your abilities and talents along the way.

Last edited:
I just checked out your listing don’t see anything glaring that’s hurting your ability to sell. It may just be a combination of small things that are holding you back. Here’s my 2 cents...
1. You’ve limited your audience by avoiding the local sale sites. Yes, the FB garage sale groups can be a PIA of noise, etc. However, things get seen and attention is drawn. I list on Marketplace and at least 10 local sale sites with the click of a few buttons with every grill.
2. A sandblasted cook box interior is a difference maker. Breaking the $300 barrier without a bare metal tub might be a tough ask and the cost to have it done usually pays for itself and then some on the sale end.
3. Pictures are free so load em up! Add some different angles. Side view, 3/4 views, close up individual shots of each of the new parts installed as progress pics.
4. Be repetitive and overuse key words like “new” and “stainless” in your descriptions. IE: new stainless steel burners and crosssover tube, new stainless steel flavor bars, new 7mm solid stainless steel grates, etc.
5. Don’t share what the parts cost you. By the time time they’re done reading your newly eloquent description, a potential buyer might’ve already convinced themselves that there’s $200 or more in parts there. Let them keep thinking that way.
Good luck. Your workmanship is on point. Now, you just gotta get some more people to see it your handiwork while doing a little self-promoting on your abilities and talents along the way.

Are you "The Weber Guy" on Facebook?

Thanks for the tips, I really appreciate it!

I took down the local sale sites because I guess I let the dinks on the internet get to me, I should relist it in those areas, you're right. I usually have thicker skin than that, especially growing up with online gaming and voice chat. LOL

I have considered the sandblasting but I have been hesitant to take on the cost of that to risk not selling a grill. What should i expect to pay for this type of service? Is this something that should be 50-60 per box and end caps or more? I'm sure its regional to an extent I have ended up with pretty good results by using a grinder, but its such a messy operation that I don't much enjoy.

Are you "The Weber Guy" on Facebook?

Thanks for the tips, I really appreciate it!

I took down the local sale sites because I guess I let the dinks on the internet get to me, I should relist it in those areas, you're right. I usually have thicker skin than that, especially growing up with online gaming and voice chat. LOL

I have considered the sandblasting but I have been hesitant to take on the cost of that to risk not selling a grill. What should i expect to pay for this type of service? Is this something that should be 50-60 per box and end caps or more? I'm sure its regional to an extent I have ended up with pretty good results by using a grinder, but its such a messy operation that I don't much enjoy.
I am indeed “The Weber Guy”. I almost hesitate to ask how you tied me to my alter ego so quickly when we’re 3 hours apart, but maybe that is a testament to my efforts to be “out there”.
As far as sandblasting goes, I hire mine out. $50-$60 seems reasonable but can also be very regional as well. There’s only one person left in my area offering the service now and prices have climbed beyond those numbers here.

I am indeed “The Weber Guy”. I almost hesitate to ask how you tied me to my alter ego so quickly when we’re 3 hours apart, but maybe that is a testament to my efforts to be “out there”.
As far as sandblasting goes, I hire mine out. $50-$60 seems reasonable but can also be very regional as well. There’s only one person left in my area offering the service now and prices have climbed beyond those numbers here.
I found your Facebook page by chance at one point, then the way you spoke and the advice you gave seemed to lead me to that connection. Haha!

Thanks again for the info

I sell my Silver B/C rehabs for $300 plus. I have had little trouble moving them. Sadly, I still have not gotten a grill done and up for sale yet this year however.
It’s been a late start for me, too. Travel, a bout with Covid, and the weather all have me way behind where I usually am this time of year. Only 3 grills out so far, but I do have several pre-sale grills in progress.

Rich, You are on the right track, and the tips you have received will be a help. One less pricey fix might be to get a cheap grinder and 4” cup brush from Harbor Freight. Just doing the upper part of the firebox above the grates could give you a boost. Don’t do without having safety gear for your eyes, ears and hands.

Last edited:
Weber CharQ in Indianapolis Area

I posted this in the charcoal grill section, but will post here for those who have expressed interest in having a CharQ:

Back