I will just leave this here

To be fair, most of my grills burn charcoal.
That's OK, I still like you. It's funny though, I just realized something. I always use the forum from my phone and it always goes to "new posts" which has all the content. If I go back and enter through the gas grill forum it eliminates a lot of content that I still like to look at.

Huh… I’m on Chrome on my iPhone, and except for the typical mobile UI quirks you’d expect, it’s not a whole lot different than the desktop version.

Huh… I’m on Chrome on my iPhone, and except for the typical mobile UI quirks you’d expect, it’s not a whole lot different than the desktop version.
I'm sure it's not that different. I don't have an iPhone and I wouldn't say I was the most computer savvy person out there. I didn't know how to cut and paste before I joined this forum, so don't let me confuse you. Alll I know is when I click on this forum it doesn't take me to the main page.

Nope… I land directly on the main Forums page. I see the link for New Posts hidden under the menu in the upper left, but I never use it.

To be fair, most of my grills burn charcoal.
It's hard to keep score.

If I count active grills that I've cooked on in the last month, it's an even tie. 2 to 2

If I count grills outside that can cook something in minutes, the coal burners are in the lead 5 to 2.

If I count total grills that can operate within an hour, it's tied up at 5 to 5

If I count grills that are likely to cook again this year the gassers pull ahead 8 to 5, and I'm not counting Coleman stoves that have a grill grate on them.

If I count grills that I have any chance of selling for more than three dollars, the gas grills crush the coal burners 7 to 2.

I guess it's 25 or 6 to 4...

If I count grills that I have any chance of selling for more than three dollars, the gas grills crush the coal burners 7 to 2.

I guess it's 25 or 6 to 4...
I'll bet you could get at least $50 for the one with black endcaps and that nice emblem, and that's definitely one of Chicago's best songs 🎵

So, what makes this grill a "Platinum" version of the standard Genesis 1000 aside from the special lid and maybe a set of SS Solid rod grates?
The cook box is standard 13 bar, correct?

00a0a_7PlQ3iXSbLoz_0CI0lJ_600x450.jpg

The Platinum 2000 I picked up sermed identical to a regular 2000 except it had durawood and the lid graphics. It was a 98 NG.

I think it had stamped stainless grates. No idea if they were orig.

20211016_160028.jpg

So, what makes this grill a "Platinum" version of the standard Genesis 1000 aside from the special lid and maybe a set of SS Solid rod grates?
The cook box is standard 13 bar, correct?

View attachment 57344
I have 1998 platinum series grill just like the one in the picture. I also have a 1997 Genesis LX. They are identical except for the graphics on the lid. They are both 13 flavorizer bar grills and came with cast iron grates.

Just a guess, but the timing of the Platinum Series (exclusive of the Platinum Series II, which is a different grill) seems to coincide with the introduction of Durawood. Maybe it was meant to showcase Durawood as an environmentally-friendly replacement for the wooden slats. Also, by promoting Durawood as being made from recycled milk cartons, that could demonstrate a concern for the environment on Weber's part.

I have yet to see a Platinum Series that did not feature Durawood.

It would be if free and you have spare parts. It is missing the bottom rack and it is really a Genesis 1000 even though it has a thermoset table on the left. All the wood shelves are missing as well. Then that thermometer on the lid is hideous. I wonder if they hacked the thermometer bracket. For some reason, they removed the spider guards too. Who knows what else the guy did to it.

Good eye Bruce. At first glance I thought it was a spirit because of that thermoset table. Now I see it's just missing original parts.

Yah, I wonder what other kind of cobble job surprises there are on that grill. I would be almost afraid to peek inside the lid.

I think it is a 1000. I'm mostly interested in the red lid, and propane manifold. I might be able to piece together another 2000 with this. I might be short a swing up table hardware, but c'est la vie

Last edited:

Back