I will just leave this here

Here is an example of my local market for Silver B grills. I'm guessing this will take weeks to sell at this price or they will lower the price.

Not much price headroom to buy parts and paint and barely break even.

20220803_113658.jpg

Last edited:
Here is an example of my local market for Silver B grills. I'm guessing this will take weeks to sell at this price or they will lower the price.

View attachment 56738
My father grabbed one with that lid color for me off the side of the road yesterday! too bad it's lived on the beach for some amount of time, the salt air probably beat it up pretty badly.

there have been a few similar to that for sale in my area that haven't moved. I really think I got lucky on my Silver C. We will see how the next one goes!

and this one has four weber carb's with an asking price of $62,500

Luckily weberitis is helping to keep me away from vintage cars...

View attachment 56245

Dan, you would really enjoy cruising in that 3 window coupe!

I am actually going to pick this one up in about a half hour. The selection has been pretty sparse this summer. I am getting it for $20 with a 30 mile drive one way. No way I would pay over $50 for a standard Silver B or Genesis 1000. By the time you pay for paint, supplies and new guts for the grill, the profit margin is pretty small. Which turns into sub McDonalds wages.

View attachment 56738
I think, with the abundance of low cost and free grills in your area, that you live in an area of affluence. Either that, or for whatever reason people in the area are getting out of outdoor grilling. I could be wrong, but neither one of these scenarios seems to bode well for the rehabber.

When I saw the listing last week for my “new” grill, my first guess was that the previous owner had gotten a pellet burner. I was correct. As I’ve gotten into my refurb, I’ve come to the conclusion that he was never really concerned with maintenance and cleaning. It looks like, at some point, there was a fire in the box that was hot enough to leave a few dime-size craters in the aluminum.

I would think that as the market cycle continues trending toward pellet grills and kamados, there will continue to be a glut of cheap used gassers available. If my experience is any indication, they won’t necessarily be the best-maintained grills anyone has ever seen.

I think, with the abundance of low cost and free grills in your area, that you live in an area of affluence. Either that, or for whatever reason people in the area are getting out of outdoor grilling. I could be wrong, but neither one of these scenarios seems to bode well for the rehabber.

For some reason there just doesn't seem to be as much interest in Silver/Gold B/C grills here.

I've picked up free or nearly free from all over the area. Some in a very nice areas, gated communities, others in regular neighborhoods.

Most often the people giving them bought a new grill. I usually ask what they replaced the weber with and most times it has been a pellet. Once they moved into brand new house and had a built-in installed.

Some times they moved from a house with NG, and their new house does not have NG service. A couple of miles away is "country living" where houses have propane tanks and do not have natural gas service. Sometimes they moved into a house with NG and they upgraded to an NG grill and are selling off the LP.

Pellet Grills are moving much faster. I sold my Pit Boss at asking price in 10 hours.

WSM took a week or two but it sold at asking price.

I think a Genesis 2000/3000 with nice wood and new internals will sell for $300, but the same layout Silver/Gold will be lucky to sell for $100 to $150. With prices of parts going up, this is definitely not a money making venue right now.

hey @Jon Tofte ( or anyone that has it bookmarked ) I remember a post comparing SS rod grates but cannot seem to find it.

Searching the forum for "stainless grates" is like going to the beach looking for sand...

Can you post a link please ?

"This was the last year they made them with two rolls of flavorizing bars."

Shot Flavorizer Bars 2.jpeg

Well, yeah, but it would be nice if they were still intact:rolleyes:...

"This was the last year they made them with two rolls of flavorizing bars."

View attachment 56797

Well, yeah, but it would be nice if they were still intact:rolleyes:...

Rotted out flavorizer bars are merely for illustration purpose. I've been running into this all year on these Genesis 1000 grills, which is why I haven't been able to buy any. I just can't see paying anything more than $50 for one, and then driving to get it knowing it needs $100 in parts and many hours just to make it look decent again, let alone trying to restore it.

There were decently price parts for the Genesis 1000 grills a few years ago, but it seems the manufacturers are quickly putting that generation of grill out to pasture. I can see it happening with the Silver B generation as well. I suppose it could be partly due to Covid/Inflation/supply or other external factors, but it does seem that restoring the older/simpler Genesis grills is eventually going to become less and less feasible.

I've been looking for a silver C or a 3000 to pirate the side burner off of it for my jumbo joe cart. I've spread out my search to include Phoenix which is 100 miles away...nothing.
Guess I'll just put the shelf back where the side burner would go. Not many of the old grills left.

Last edited:

Back