I will just leave this here

And I just saw this one. Someone in South Texas restoring a Summit? Brand new firebox for a Summit S670 for $50.
Wow, that's a steal for someone.
Crazy to think that Weber ever allowed that horrible design to
be put into production. Simply insane knowing they are STILL
doing it all these years later.

Wow, that's a steal for someone.
Crazy to think that Weber ever allowed that horrible design to
be put into production. Simply insane knowing they are STILL
doing it all these years later.
Yep, think about it this way. The Summit is like a luxury car. It's really not as good as a Ford or a Chevy because it's going to cost a lot to buy and cost a lot to fix. You are more cool for owning it though!

I’m floored that they still continue with that flawed design, maybe it’s cheaper to manufacture an extra cookbox for every Summit than to redesign and retool.

Lots of things Weber does that confounds me. But, they are the king of grills, so I tend to think that they probably know more than I do when it comes to grill design, marketing and sales.

Lots of things Weber does that confounds me. But, they are the king of grills, so I tend to think that they probably know more than I do when it comes to grill design, marketing and sales.
We have said this before here, but the truth is that our standards and expectations are very different from the market Weber is aiming for. We are an off the beaten path, tiny minority. Most people seem to want flashy looking grills that look great, cook well and last for 4 or 5 years. We may think that is crazy, but it sells a lot of grills for Weber. That's not to say that Weber doesn't have challenges. I think some of the cheapening of materials will hurt them if they go too far. People have to continue to believe the Weber logo means something better in terms of quality.

Pretty cool. It looks just like the one Rich Dahl is selling. There are definitely some unique differences from the newer ones we're used to seeing. The wheels even look a little different to me.

Pretty cool. It looks just like the one Rich Dahl is selling. There are definitely some unique differences from the newer ones we're used to seeing. The wheels even look a little different to me.
it is an early Genesis 2. I'm guessing first or second year with the wide slats and the different tank gauge.

Wheels are like my 1990 Genesis 3

That is a great specimen for that model/year of grill. I guess he is going for the "all original" approach like on cars where keeping it as original as possible makes it more valuable. I don't think that holds quite so much with grills however and it would be interesting to know he sells it for the $275 as is.

I picked up one like this a few years ago for a fraction of that price. But brown is not my favorite color. Anyhow all the parts have found a good home now.

Rare find the Bay Area. Nice looking black hood and wood slats. Not seeing many of these anymore.

Redheads are certainly beautiful, but give me a brunette Weber with nice wood slats! That one needs work but looks to be a great candidate.

this one popped up near me.

This guy often has nice refurbs. This one he's left un-restored it seems.

View attachment 50303

View attachment 50304

I am probably the biggest pushover for these first Gennies on this board. I agree his price “as is” doesn’t work. But, what is a fair price for this same grill nicely restored?

Brown isn’t a stunning color but it dates back to the very first Genesis grills and is pretty uncommon to see today.

Hello all, Im the member that posted the OG brown grill. The approach of sale was to leave as original as possibly targeting the Weber enthusiast or semi collector. Although limiting my # of potential buyers, Im ok if it doesn't sell quickly. I can always lower my price or restore it as I had planned to when I first picked it up. Like some of you on this forum, too many projects at the moment. Question I have for the forum members is : Is it the price, color of lid top( I have other lids I can place on it but not original to the grill) or the decision of not restore? I welcome any form of advise.
Thanks
Vic

Hello all, Im the member that posted the OG brown grill. The approach of sale was to leave as original as possibly targeting the Weber enthusiast or semi collector. Although limiting my # of potential buyers, Im ok if it doesn't sell quickly. I can always lower my price or restore it as I had planned to when I first picked it up. Like some of you on this forum, too many projects at the moment. Question I have for the forum members is : Is it the price, color of lid top( I have other lids I can place on it but not original to the grill) or the decision of not restore? I welcome any form of advise.
Thanks
Vic

Hi Vic, welcome. I posted the link here.

I have admired a number of your refurbished grills and posted some of them here. I'm about 20 to 30 mins east of you in EDH.

I'll leave the advice on how to best restore these to others. I am somewhat of a rookie when it comes to restoring these.

Dan

Hi Vic, welcome. I posted the link here.

I have admired a number of your refurbished grills and posted some of them here. I'm about 20 to 30 mins east of you in EDH.

I'll leave the advice on how to best restore these to others. I am somewhat of a rookie when it comes to restoring these.

Dan
Hello Dan in EDH, and thank you for the nice compliment on my other grills. I have lots of love for all the grills I put out for sale and thankful to those who purchase them. My approach to each grill is to enjoy the process of bring back a solid working grill while giving the consumer an option from the regular store bought product. And obviously making a few extra fun $$ never hurts. I still consider myself a rookie and always willing to learn from others.
Vic

Hello Dan in EDH, and thank you for the nice compliment on my other grills. I have lots of love for all the grills I put out for sale and thankful to those who purchase them. My approach to each grill is to enjoy the process of bring back a solid working grill while giving the consumer an option from the regular store bought product. And obviously making a few extra fun $$ never hurts. I still consider myself a rookie and always willing to learn from others.
Vic
I was hoping you would share details on the wide wood slats. Where do you source the wood, how you stain it, how do you seal it.

I have a 1990 Genesis 3 that I am going to restore as a personal grill and am thinking of doing wide redwood slats.

I think this is one you had listed on FBM last fall.

1651899980266.png

Back