I will just leave this here

A while back, I restored an odd, little Sunbeam grill - one of my crazier projects. I had never seen one like it before, and I really never expected to see another one. But low and behold, this identical one popped up on FB Marketplace:

RsB8XTd.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/814861828908165

Admittedly only a curiosity but mine turned into an interesting restoration. I only gave seven or eight bucks for it:

KIjFRQQ.jpg

It was pretty rough as you can see - a lot worse than this new listing. But, it made for a fun restore:

wRHiqcI.jpg

dRFHqrU.jpg

For you newer members who may not have seen this one before, I went a little overboard souping it up with a leftover Broilmaster burner that I shoe-horned into it. I nick-named my "muscle grill" creation The Judge

xepl5k.jpg

I also opened up the orifices to Broilmaster size, so it is a regular paint peeler now! Way too many btu's per square inch to be street legal, but also kind of a fun - if a little wild - challenge to grill on...I imagine a little like driving a Pontiac The Judge back in the day.

On my backlog of projects is to cut down a set of cast iron grates that I salvaged from someone's trashed grill. I have never been completely satisfied with the mediocre stainless rod ones I originally cut to fit in this small firebox.

2r3ytk8.jpg

Last edited:
Quick question; how tall is the 320 (side knobs version) without the lid? I'm picking one up, and I know the 1000-series fits in my car just fine, but the 320 is taller?

Mine is 39" at the edge of the cook box, but the lid pivots on the back are about another 1". So, just barely over 1 meter for you metric folks.

I used to have a set of ceramic bricks / tiles on an old gas grill from the late 1990s.

I thought they worked better than lava rocks.

I used to have a set of ceramic bricks / tiles on an old gas grill from the late 1990s.

I thought they worked better than lava rocks.

Rusty,

Yeah, I think they work well. The ones in my picture are called "Grill Greats." I got them on Amazon, but there are others available.

Both Pork and Beef ribs for dinner tonight to end the holiday weekend. Guess I should stop and pick up some sweet corn to go with it.

I haven't bought any sweet corn. The only stuff we get right now is from FLA and (I am sorry FLA folks) but the stuff is plain AWFUL. Something about the soil quality in FL and too much moisture makes things just not good. Fairly decent corn from Georgia occasionally, and CO but once it's coming in from CO we're getting our own superior Illinois grown stuff. Nothing matches it. WI and MN come close. IA too. But, nothing matches good old Illini Super Sweet variety grown in Illinois soil. It's about the only good thing left of our state :(

I've had corn for a couple of months. Wherever it is coming from, it's good sweet bi-color corn. Maybe the local farm stand has a good supplier? Still, I will look forward to local corn when it is available.

I haven't bought any sweet corn. The only stuff we get right now is from FLA and (I am sorry FLA folks) but the stuff is plain AWFUL. Something about the soil quality in FL and too much moisture makes things just not good. Fairly decent corn from Georgia occasionally, and CO but once it's coming in from CO we're getting our own superior Illinois grown stuff. Nothing matches it. WI and MN come close. IA too. But, nothing matches good old Illini Super Sweet variety grown in Illinois soil. It's about the only good thing left of our state :(

Yah, the corn crop up here is way behind this year. I am seeing a lot of fields that haven't even planted this year. I am still buying the imported stuff from the grocery store. It isn't top notch but it is better than the crap that comes out of a can.

A cheap way to try out kamado style cooking, although it is made of artificial material rather than ceramic. You can see he decided he wanted the real thing for himself. Still, if you wanted to experiment at least it is not very expensive. Hard to find a ceramic grill of any brand for less than $300.

I thought the Acorn brand was one of the top of the line. I am not really interested in buying it for personal use, maybe as an easy flip.

I wouldn’t recommend that one for a flip, even at that price. Akorn is Charbroil’s low-cost entry in this category.

Back