I will just leave this here

Gutted out Ol Rusty 3000 and transformed it into a temporary rolling work bench for now. If I get a Weber Q grill I might make a nicer version out of a smaller frame or maybe just use this.

View attachment 101252View attachment 101253
I like what you did there but can't see any rust on that frame to speak of unless it's on the zbars. Edit: Ok, I see it now. The crossmember that holds in the cook box is rotted.

Last edited:
I like what you did there but can't see any rust on that frame to speak of unless it's on the zbars.
Frame has rust and weak spots everywhere and a hole where the left side of the cook box meets the frame so hopefully I get a pass. I won't ever use this frame but maybe the tables and swing tables eventually. Propane hanger and level indicator is quite rusty also.

See, that's just the thing. It seems all the stuff Josh picks up is in better shape than what we find.
Not this one lol. Hole in the cook box also.
This one did come from California though. Some of this stuff on it that it's in really good shape seems strange though like the grease pan and the lid. This Grill also came with two full sets of stainless flavorizer bars

Did you figure out what caused the cook box hole? I like to know these things.
Yes @Steve Hoch
At some point the bolt rusted off that holds the cook box to the frame and the rust spread from there. Also the wing nuts that held the manifold to the Cook box were rusted in there and just snapped off.
20241004_203911~2.jpgVery smart of you too be curious about this. That way we can be proactive in restoration to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I meant the hole in the actual cook box, but I already pretty much know what causes those. The crossmember rotting out is pretty common as we all know by now. This is where knowing how to weld would come in handy.

I meant the hole in the actual cook box, but I already pretty much know what causes those. The crossmember rotting out is pretty common as we all know by now. This is where knowing how to weld would come in handy.
20241004_204854~2.jpg20241004_205017~2.jpg20241004_205059~2.jpg20241004_205256~2.jpg
Biggest hole was on the back right under where the burner goes into the cook box. Small hole also front left probably from where the cross member disintegrated. Burners were in bad shape also rusted through. You have definitely taught me the importance of inspecting and using good burners.

Not this one lol. Hole in the cook box also.
This one did come from California though. Some of this stuff on it that it's in really good shape seems strange though like the grease pan and the lid. This Grill also came with two full sets of stainless flavorizer bars
This isn’t the one from the 92 year old, is it?

Back