I will just leave this here

This was one of my early rehabs. I just came across it on FBMP. Not sure how. But, I remember selling this grill to a guy who said he was buying it for his hunting cabin. He paid the full $400, no questions asked back in 2018. I am sure the grill has been sitting out in the woods since then. He didn't seem impressed with the skyline, the rotisserie or anything else. He just wanted a good solid grill for his hunting cabin. I kinda wish I could see it today.

I'm new to the forum and have been inspired by some of the rebuilds I've seen.

I have an older Genesis E310 that needs some serious work. The box itself is in very good shape, but the insides need to be replaced, which is easy enough to do. My problem, and the reason for the post, is that the enclosed cart is completely shot. The bottom and back rusted out and are gone. The sides are hanging on by a thread at this point. Does anyone know if it's possible to find an open cart that would work for me? If not, any other suggestions? I'm not going to rebuild the inside without a cart. I'm also hesitant to spend about 800 or so to replace it when I have a Large Big Green Egg and a Blackstone. The grill certainly gets used, but I'm not sure I use it enough to spend that much money.

I'm new to the forum and have been inspired by some of the rebuilds I've seen.

I have an older Genesis E310 that needs some serious work. The box itself is in very good shape, but the insides need to be replaced, which is easy enough to do. My problem, and the reason for the post, is that the enclosed cart is completely shot. The bottom and back rusted out and are gone. The sides are hanging on by a thread at this point. Does anyone know if it's possible to find an open cart that would work for me? If not, any other suggestions? I'm not going to rebuild the inside without a cart. I'm also hesitant to spend about 800 or so to replace it when I have a Large Big Green Egg and a Blackstone. The grill certainly gets used, but I'm not sure I use it enough to spend that much money.
Welcome Mike, please post some pictures of the grill. There’s plenty of information on rebuilding Genesis grills here.

Welcome to TVWBB, Mike!

Sounds like the rust monster has really done your grill in. Any chance you could post some pictures?

Depending on how far gone yours is, you may be better off selling the parts that are still good and buying a better used grill. A classic Weber open cart grill would be a great candidate for something worth restoring without spending a fortune.

Welcome aboard. Re, your cart. obviously anything is possible. But it will depend on your personal skill level, your interest in learning new skills (welding, fabricating, etc.) and desire to do so. I.E. I just "gave up" on my old Genesis 2000 (ne, 3000) due to the frame being toast. I could have possibly built it out with new metal, maybe bought a welder and learned how to do that. But simply did not care to. Especially since I have my large Wolf gas grill with custom built (by Dave Santana) grates that is an all 304 stainless steel beast, my Q320 and 2 wonderful pellet grills.
I actually now rarely touch my gas grills, or even my Jumbo Joe kettle. So it just was not worth the effort to me to keep the Genesis going. Instead parts of it went to folks here, my son in law, and so on. So I had no desire to spend the $$$ on a welder, the time to learn it all for a grill I likely would barely ever use. I.E., All last year since acquiring my latest pellet grill (Z Grills 1100 2B) I think I used the Wolf twice, and could count on one hand the uses of the Q320 and none on the Jumbo Joe.
But, post photos. There are folks here like Bruce, Jon Tofte and so on with incredible skills and know how. If you want to keep your Genesis rolling (and honestly given it's the last of what I call the "real" Genesis grills I think you will find it rewarding.

I was in my local Lowes getting some fertilizer and checked out the grills. This one was new for them

View attachment 88144
Darn that looks like a nice piece. And 15 year bumper to bumper? Can't beat that. I was in Sam's Wednesday and saw these. Honestly only "bad" thing I could say was their heat tents (flavorizer bars) were porcelain coated steel. But then the pricing on them is only $299 and $399 easily 1/3 of what a comparable Spirit or Genesis would cost. The only exception I noted was on the unit with sear station burner the burners there had 304SS heat tents on them.

20240320_113419.jpg20240320_113432.jpg20240320_113439.jpg20240320_113521.jpg20240320_113712.jpg

Darn that looks like a nice piece. And 15 year bumper to bumper? Can't beat that. I was in Sam's Wednesday and saw these. Honestly only "bad" thing I could say was their heat tents (flavorizer bars) were porcelain coated steel. But then the pricing on them is only $299 and $399 easily 1/3 of what a comparable Spirit or Genesis would cost. The only exception I noted was on the unit with sear station burner the burners there had 304SS heat tents on them.

View attachment 88153View attachment 88154View attachment 88155View attachment 88156View attachment 88157
What's the cookbox composition of the bottom picture?
Seems the Sam's Club offerings for grills...both pellet and gas, are serious contenders at prices far below even discounted Webers of similar size and features.

What's the cookbox composition of the bottom picture?
Seems the Sam's Club offerings for grills...both pellet and gas, are serious contenders at prices far below even discounted Webers of similar size and features.
Cook boxes are heavy (really quite heavy) cast aluminum. Grates are VERY heavy as well but porcelainized cast iron. Lids are porcelain steel (like a Weber's but only in black). There are no colors available. Burners are 304SS as are the lower heat deflectors. I did not look any further though as in the lower drip tray and such. But it's VERY clear they have Weber in the gun sights with their products. Especially since the literature on the floor compares them directly feature for feature

I hate to say it, but if I was in the market for a new full sized gas grill, Sams Club would definitely be on my list of options...maybe my first stop.

Larry, do you know what the warranty is like on them?

LOL. I don't know, but he thinks it is now a Q1200. Kind of an interesting way to turn it into a "portable" grill though.

Welcome to TVWBB, Mike!

Sounds like the rust monster has really done your grill in. Any chance you could post some pictures?

Depending on how far gone yours is, you may be better off selling the parts that are still good and buying a better used grill. A classic Weber open cart grill would be a great candidate for something worth restoring without spending a fortune.
Thanks @Jon Tofte and @BPratt, I would appreciate any advice. As I mentioned, the inside needs work, but I've done that before. It only looks as bad as it does now becuase i planned to trash it until about 2 weeks ago.

Attachments

• IMG_4842.jpg
    IMG_4842.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4841.jpg
    IMG_4841.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4839.jpg
    IMG_4839.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 12
Welcome aboard. Re, your cart. obviously anything is possible. But it will depend on your personal skill level, your interest in learning new skills (welding, fabricating, etc.) and desire to do so. I.E. I just "gave up" on my old Genesis 2000 (ne, 3000) due to the frame being toast. I could have possibly built it out with new metal, maybe bought a welder and learned how to do that. But simply did not care to. Especially since I have my large Wolf gas grill with custom built (by Dave Santana) grates that is an all 304 stainless steel beast, my Q320 and 2 wonderful pellet grills.
I actually now rarely touch my gas grills, or even my Jumbo Joe kettle. So it just was not worth the effort to me to keep the Genesis going. Instead parts of it went to folks here, my son in law, and so on. So I had no desire to spend the $$$ on a welder, the time to learn it all for a grill I likely would barely ever use. I.E., All last year since acquiring my latest pellet grill (Z Grills 1100 2B) I think I used the Wolf twice, and could count on one hand the uses of the Q320 and none on the Jumbo Joe.
But, post photos. There are folks here like Bruce, Jon Tofte and so on with incredible skills and know how. If you want to keep your Genesis rolling (and honestly given it's the last of what I call the "real" Genesis grills I think you will find it rewarding.
Yeah that's not a skill I think I'm going to invest in either. I was hoping someone had better googling skills than I did and would know of a site that sold replacement cart. It's looking like that might not be the case

Some have fabbed in wood for th bottom. It won't solve or stop the rust, but it will keep it usable for a lot of years to come. The only other issue is the legs. If they are rusting out really bad, they could eventually fail as well.

You could fasten in four or five 1"x4" boards right to left across the bottom and that would shore it up well and even hide most of the existing rust.

You can still buy replacement backs and bottoms....the sides would be cost prohibitive for sure.
You could also look for a used on on the sale sites that is still in pretty good condition.

I hate to say it, but if I was in the market for a new full sized gas grill, Sams Club would definitely be on my list of options...maybe my first stop.

Larry, do you know what the warranty is like on them?
Honestly they don't list an explicit warranty. Only that it can be returned for full refund at any time. Bolding addend for emphasis as they stand behind their Member's Mark satisfaction policy. And you quite literally wheel it into the store and get a full refund on it.

Back