I will just leave this here

Dad made a chimney out of a coffee can on ours.
We always had a Weber kettle growing up and at some point a dedicated charcoal chimney. I learned how to cook on that kettle at a pretty young age because my dad had a tendency to undercook things. He didn't mind me taking over the grill duties and I would cook things until they weren't raw inside. I have a lot of great memories of cooking on that grill when I was no more than 12 years old. I also cleaned it and dumped the ashes.

My dad taught me how to light the grill at an early age.

1. Make a pile of briquettes
2. Douse with lighter fluid
3. Wait 10 minutes
4. Light charcoal pile
5. When the briquettes in the pile turned grey, spread them out and put the grill grate on.
6. Start cooking- hot dogs and hamburgers only. Anything else was moms job.

Maybe the food had a slight lighter fluid taste, it didn’t matter. Charcoal grilling was always connected to some type of party or family gathering.

Fun times.

Simpler times.

My dad was a veteran of WWII.

One of his old army buddies was in Japan for some reason, and sent my dad a (very large) package.

I guess it was an actual “big green egg”.

I don’t remember dad ever firing it up. If it had instructions, they were probably in Japanese.

We moved to a different house and my dad gave it to a neighbor across the street. For some reason, I believe that guy had a better idea what this hunk clay and steel was, and was glad to have it. I am pretty sure my dad didn’t know or care what it was.

It was around 1967-1968.

We always had a Weber kettle growing up and at some point a dedicated charcoal chimney. I learned how to cook on that kettle at a pretty young age because my dad had a tendency to undercook things. He didn't mind me taking over the grill duties and I would cook things until they weren't raw inside. I have a lot of great memories of cooking on that grill when I was no more than 12 years old. I also cleaned it and dumped the ashes.
That's fantastic, learning to cook at that age

My brother in law tells how his dad used to have to call the fire department when he started his charcoal. This is after they came out to his house one time. He said, growing up, he thought the lighter fluid taste was BBQ.
I called BS on the fire department, but he is adamant that they requested he call before lighting his grill after they got calls from the neighborhood a couple times and had to come out with lights and sirens blazing.

Growing up in the 'burbs of Chicago I learned to cook on an old tin grill in the 50s. My dad would supervise the placing of the charcoal and the amount of lighter fluid that was put on the coals. After that I was on my own mostly dogs and burgers and occasionally a steak or two. Standing out in the back yard in 90 degree temps with humidity to match swatting mosquitoes and flipping burgers I thought I was top dog. When I went inside I smelled like Kingsford lighter fluid...Good times!
Now I know why my dad went back into the house.

We had a Hibachi that my Dad used to make sirloin steaks on summer Saturdays or Sundays. I faintly recall him fondly wishing for a "Weber grill!":redmastertouch:

When I did a sirloin on my CharQ that old familiar smell came back to me from the distant past :coolkettle: .

IMG_1072.jpgIMG_1073.jpg

Yeah, if you use Kingsford briquettes there is a distinct "aroma" that brings back memories (with or without lighter fuel) that while "fondly" remembered are not real "tasty". I think the memory is why many still use it

We used to have one of those tin grills back in the early '70s. Back then, we had a travel trailer parked in northern Illinois at a trailer park (Timber Lake Park) and we would spend weekends up there. That is where Dad learned about the Weber kettles, because everyone had them, and the tin grill was relegated to the scrap pile.

Years later, my wife was lighting the grill on her own before I came home from work. I pulled into the driveway and there was about 6-8 feet of flames coming out of our poor kettle. I asked her why. She said it was because the fire kept going out...

ETA: Thinking about it, maybe that's why she bought me the Genesis gas grill in about '92...

Gerry

Last edited:
Seems the biggest reviewer issues are with poor assembly. Though I do know if they ship it with the same freight company that my Big Z was shipped with it's also likely due to shipper issues. Can you imagine this thing being stood on end and bounced around in a freight truck?

Assembled in and shipped from the People’s Republic of China, so lots of shipping and handling before it makes it to a household inside the United States of America.

And still relatively inexpensive.

Amazing how products produced inside a country actively seeking our destruction can make the owners feel so rich and powerful.

Almost ironic.

I don't know how well this thing would cook, but for less than the price of new Genesis, you can get a six burner that looks to be all Stainless steel and has a bunch of interesting extras.

Looks nice, but I would go over every piece with a magnet to see which ones will rust and which ones will not.

It does look like the vast majority of the grill is stainless. However, I suppose there are some clips, brackets, screws and other parts that are not. If something does rust and fail, at least it would likely be fairly simply and inexpensive to replace.

Also, keep in mind that not all stainless steel is Non-magnetic. While the magnet test is used to differentiate between "high" 300 series and "low" (400 series) quality stainless, it is not always 100% and for many grill parts, the lower quality 400 series stainless is just fine. Even 400 series stainless isn't going to have a rusted out cabinet in ten years.

Back