I will just leave this here

I am surprised the gas company never brought the line down the street providing people were willing to convert to nat gas meaning furnaces, hot water tanks or whatever. What do you heat with propane?
Our house is all electric except that to please my wife and her 85-year-old aunt who lives with us, I switched to propane just for our range. I guess someday they will try to take that back from me. At some point I might try to get an LP gas insert for our fireplace.

Just an educated guess, but that is a coastal area and that explains it to a degree. But, Weber could do a little better to weather proof these grills.

I wonder how much more it would cost to make the exact same grill with 100% stainless in place of the carbon steel parts. I think maybe people living in these beach house areas would spring for the upgrade so their grill lasts more than 5 years.

Just an educated guess, but that is a coastal area and that explains it to a degree. But, Weber could do a little better to weather proof these grills.

I wonder how much more it would cost to make the exact same grill with 100% stainless in place of the carbon steel parts. I think maybe people living in these beach house areas would spring for the upgrade so their grill lasts more than 5 years.
That's why I have a Broilmaster at our beach house. After a Ducane and a Weber which I had to fully restore, I learned.

The grill was maintained about as well as the deck it's sitting on. I'm betting the insides are unforgettable.
No slats left on the bottom of the grill, but looks like maybe one good piece of the deck left:p!

I have thought that a cool restore on one of those Genesis II grills would be to eliminate the metal slats on the bottom and replace them with wood. Paint the gray metal black (and rust treat as much as possible) and you move it a little closer to a classic Genesis.:coolkettle:

I have always wondered and had great concerns as to how well the new frames of the 'II' series would hold up.... so many gaps and seams for water to sit in.... That grill can't be more than 5 years old.

I have always wondered and had great concerns as to how well the new frames of the 'II' series would hold up.... so many gaps and seams for water to sit in.... That grill can't be more than 5 years old.
That's why unless you live in AZ the cover vs no-cover debate never made sense to me. The only time water hits my grill is during a deep clean. No water = no rust IMHO. I remember once I forgot to put the cover on before going to bed and it rained over night, water got into the grease pan, overflowed and made a royal mess. If like a lot of people I had not gone to put the cover on and noticed, it would have contributed to a major rust issue in no time.

I do get the humidity trap argument, but I am in your camp, Joe. I keep my outside grills covered because of rain, sleet and snow. I also use the Weber covers that "breathe" more than the more rubbery ones. Hopefully, that balances out. Still keeps most water from getting in or making a mess.

I'm in the other camp..... Here in the PNW it doesn't matter covered or not --- its going to be wet/moist. My SilverB and Spirit sit on the deck year round uncovered --- even tho I have covers for both (they are both 'cabinet' models). I was noticing that even covered with weber covers there would be water getting in..... and if left covered for too long mold would be inevitable ---- plus the downside of mice and rats storing food in there over the winter too. The Performa gets the same treatment out in the driveway. Let it get wet - let it dry out (when it can) - god will take care of it. The WSM gets a nice cozy spot in the garage.

I wouldn't argue at all, Jim. In fact, given your climate, it is a whole different equation. I will say that I grill outside all year, icy cold temps notwithstanding, so my grills do get uncovered fairly often. Hopefully, that and the heat from grilling helps dry them out regularly. I also do consolidate and put some grills inside for the winter.

My two pellet grills, kettles, WSM project, and a prize all original ~1988 Genesis XXI stay inside and are only out when being cooked on.

If it was feasible, I would keep ALL my grills inside when not in use. My Weberitous makes that impossible! :coolkettle:

Yah, I would probably recommend a cover around me for grills stored outside, but I would make darn sure it is a well ventilated cover. I took the cover off my riding mower this morning after a cool clear night and it was soaked underneath. No rain, clear skies. But the seat was soaked and the front hood was soaked and the whole inside of the cover was wet. Just plain condensation. Some thing happens to grills if the cover doesn't breath.
I am lazy so I make room in the garage for my grill. I hate dealing with covers.

From what I've seen with all the grills I have run thru --- leaving ANYTHING in the cabinet or on the rack that can collect water or let it wick between WILL rust it out in that area. Removing pollen/pine needle/pine puffs/cottonwood fluff that accumulates is most important.

Well, I'm in a different position. Yes we get monsoons in the summer and snow in the winter but we really have low humidity here 90% of the time. All my grills are covered unless in use. I use heavy canvas type grill covers that have vents.
No Weber covers allowed, why because at 5500 feet and the dry environment my enemy is the sun. The sun here in the spring, summer, fall will destroy a weber cover in about 12-18 months. The heavy duty patio furniture ones I have some are over 5 years old.
At least rust isn't an issue as here it's not allowed under law. ;)

Luckily with my current crop of covers (honestly all from Amazon and all $35 or less) the most expensive the one I recently bought for the Flame. Otherwise What I have on the Wolf, the Q320, and Big Z all were under $25 and they are fantastic covers. Yeah weird Chinese names here today gone tomorrow brands but all very heavy weight material all "vented" to a point, and honestly all have worked great

Back