I will just leave this here

I remember reading somewhere about not divulging a cell phone number when using Facebook marketplace unless you are certain it’s a legitimate seller- not exactly sure why but for the most part the Facebook messenger seems to work sufficiently so I don’t use my cell #/ text.

Fwiw
Yea, I believe they try to convince you to send your phone number associated with facebook account. Next they try to reset your password. When fb sends you the 2factor code, the scammer will claim they're sending you a code to text back to them so they can verify that you're a real person...

CharQ for $80 cad!

And a nearly new Canadian edition q1200 for $50

Exactly. There is no legitimate reason to provide your cell number. Any requests for it are 99.9999% chance scam artist...fact.
I admit that I have given my number and asked for one with a few sellers where I rrky we had established a reliable connection. I want people to text me addresses rather than use FB Messenger. After reading all this I guess I will stop and put up with the inconvenience of Messenger.

I admit that I have given my number and asked for one with a few sellers where I rrky we had established a reliable connection. I want people to text me addresses rather than use FB Messenger. After reading all this I guess I will stop and put up with the inconvenience of Messenger.
Trouble for me is Messenger only works about 60% of the time

Perhaps the 99.9999% chance scam artist is a little too high.

Maybe factor in a little common sense and that percentage will drop.

But better safe than sorry should rule the day in my opinion.

Read up.
Not that particular article but that’s what I remember reading.

Knowing that the nameless faceless interwebs are full of ever evolving sophisticated criminals is the starting point for me.

Common sense has served me well throughout my life. No reason to change now regardless of all the scary stories…

Not that particular article but that’s what I remember reading.

Knowing that the nameless faceless interwebs are full of ever evolving sophisticated criminals is the starting point for me.

Common sense has served me well throughout my life. No reason to change now regardless of all the scary stories…
Common sense would dictate one not providing their cell number to a stranger via Facebook. It's not that prolific.

I had someone try that exact scam on me. I played cat and mouse with him for 20 minutes acting like I wanted to comply but it wasn't working. I probably shouldn't have even played the game at all but I never gave out my info and I felt good about wasting the moron's time.

I'm already killing myself for not grabbing this myself, but a rusted out firebox is more than my skill set lol
Screenshot_20230520-214656.png

Back