I will just leave this here

Seriously, you could buy that grill and resell it for close to 3X them price. Even with current gas prices, you will come out ahead pretty well.

John, I have that exact same grill sitting in my driveway now. I won't get to it until next year, but I look forward to fixing it up and reselling it.
I really don't think there is much special about them other than the unique lid. THey may have come with some SS grates or flavorizer bars, but the one I have were cheapo ceramic coated ones. Nothing else seems to be special about it.

John, I have that exact same grill sitting in my driveway now. I won't get to it until next year, but I look forward to fixing it up and reselling it.
I really don't think there is much special about them other than the unique lid. THey may have come with some SS grates or flavorizer bars, but the one I have were cheapo ceramic coated ones. Nothing else seems to be special about it.
Thanks Bruce.

I thought it looked in decent condition and the plastic wood whatever it’s called also looked decent.

And it just looks like it will sell for less than $65.

I appreciate the feedback as I am new to the game.

The thing I enjoy most about this forum is the idea of keeping these older classic grills in circulation- because…f**k China, lol.

Cheers

Oh, sure. The slats are called "Durawood". THey are actually made out of recycled plastic milk cartons.
The one I picked up was actually free but in pretty good condition. I also really enjoy the idea of keeping them out of the Landfills. A well rehabbed 25 year old Genesis will still be here and functional in 2040. I can't say that about the new Chinesium Genesis grills.
If the grill interests you, offer $25 for it. All they can do is say no. My thought is that they are trying to get rid of it before they have to store it another winter.

Oh, sure. The slats are called "Durawood". THey are actually made out of recycled plastic milk cartons.
The one I picked up was actually free but in pretty good condition. I also really enjoy the idea of keeping them out of the Landfills. A well rehabbed 25 year old Genesis will still be here and functional in 2040. I can't say that about the new Chinesium Genesis grills.
If the grill interests you, offer $25 for it. All they can do is say no. My thought is that they are trying to get rid of it before they have to store it another winter.
I built my deck in 1996, and at that time TREX was pretty new (and pretty expensive).

But I used it, and bought some also pretty expensive Western red cedar for the wood parts.

The Trex is still solid, but you can see little bits of aluminum on the surface- funny.

I am all about “buy once cry once”.

Here are a few recent pictures of the deck- the blue metal furniture on the deck is my parents old kitchen set that they bought in the 50’s- I like to take care of things because as you say, they don’t build them like they used to.7434909F-ECA1-4A4E-991F-88236C4348AD.jpeg2859A79E-E81B-4F3B-A16A-9EDEF04235B4.jpeg

When I was a kid growing up our house had an indoor charcoal grill. The vent was just part of the fireplace. I wonder if I have pictures somewhere.

Y
One of the best steakhouses in Detroit grills indoors over charcoal. As does every Weber restaurant.
Yeah, I have eaten at the Weber Grill in Chicago a couple times. The charcoal grills are behind glass so you can see but not choke while they are grilling. They have a stupendous ventilation system.

When I was young, my dad had a grate made for grilling in our fireplace. It was great
in the winter!

Back