I will just leave this here

Why does the new one have to be bigger?
I don't think it has to be bigger. The copper lid above has some fine scratches outlining the current logo position.
I think I'll try a light sanding and see how it looks without the glossy.

I don't think it has to be bigger. The copper lid above has some fine scratches outlining the current logo position.
I think I'll try a light sanding and see how it looks without the glossy.
Fine steel wool and car wax does a great job on the lids as far as fine scratches. Buffing compound works even better but now you have to pay attention to how aggressive you're being. Buff the wax off the lid after it dries, it will look brand new at least for a while.

You might try spraying it silver and then sanding it like the old style. You would end up with the reverse colours, just “Weber” in silver instead of black like it is now.

Yah, I am kind of anxious to see how it turns out.

Here you go Bruce. Not finished, but it's all the time I have for this tonight.

The chrome plating is thick, and the logo plate is not very flat. Hand sanding would have taken all night.

Used 150 grit on my orbital and it took about 25 mins to take the chrome and copper layers off. I still have some work to do to finish the sides.

After the plating was removed, I hand sanded with 180 220 and 400. It could use a little more time with 400 wet to finish it.

20220808_185423.jpg

20220808_185542.jpg

I didn't take a before picture, but it was worse than the shiny one in this pic.

20220808_184611.jpg

I like that it doesn't reflect as much.

20220808_184659.jpg

Even here the logo get's a lot of reflection, and I prefer the matte finish.

20220808_184720.jpg

And it has a similar finish to KA

20220808_185644.jpg

I think I will finish it with high temp gloss or semi gloss. I need to read the other thread to see what was used.

and I might as well link it here so I can find it later

Last edited:
Well, this is a first for my area. If this town wasn't so far away, I would probably throw out an offer on this grill. I have never seen one up here without serious rust in the cabinet....Usually a large portion of the cabinet floor is gone.
293230862_5220748801313745_2298763306007683418_n.jpg

I prefer the matte finish over the chrome on the logo. I'm trying to decide if I want high temp clear, or semi gloss. I'm leaning towards semi gloss.

I prefer the matte finish over the chrome on the logo. I'm trying to decide if I want high temp clear, or semi gloss. I'm leaning towards semi gloss.
If you have to paint it at all, I'd definitely go semi-gloss. That satin finish looks awesome.

Seems like this style of badge would be extraordinarily easy to fill in the Kettle with red, too.

Well, this is a first for my area. If this town wasn't so far away, I would probably throw out an offer on this grill. I have never seen one up here without serious rust in the cabinet....Usually a large portion of the cabinet floor is gone.
View attachment 57105
Is that a good price? One popped up about 4 hours from me in similar condition for $250.

Yes, $150 is a great price for a stainless Platinum (‘04-‘05) given that the cabinet is not rusted. $250 would be fair if also not rusted inside and if for personal use. No room to rehab and flip at that price.

These are to me grills you want for yourself since the frame will last practically forever and for being fairly rare. Appreciated more by some of us who know the history than a typical buyer.

Too bad I’m not a charcoal guy....this gas assist Performer is pretty much right in my back yard.

Back