I will just leave this here

Does this similarity bother anyone else?

New Weber Genesis
Genesis Tech Grill.jpg

"Expert" Grill
Expert Grill.jpg

I have seen bigger copycats than that one. I think that in the ceramic coated lid market, they all tend to shade the weber design.

Oh well. I wasn't referring to copying. What I was getting at was that the new Genesis looks sadly a lot like a cheap Expert grill. Same concept on the side tables, color scheme and similar handle. Thankfully, the Weber does look better, and a cursory examination shows it has better componentry. Still, if a person looking for a new grill saw both of these side by side at Home Depot, I am wondering whether they would pony up for the Weber? Being a Weber fan (though not blindly loyal or non-critical), that does bother me.

Yah, that is the situation that weber is dealing with. Similar, but clearly lower quality for less than half the price. With the economy, I am thinking the off brands are going to be suffering less than the higher end grills like Weber.

I think I would like the new Weber a lot more if it didn't have those big, clunky side tables. It's just not a very pretty grill. Oh, and it's way too much money for made in China even if it does still cook better than most of It's competition.

As I think somewhere we discussed before, this new Weber was clearly aimed at the millennials who favor slick, uncluttered, high-tech look on everything. I have actually warmed up a little to this new style, but I have to say those tables feel really thin in person.

We just bought a new 2022 Genesis natural gas grill, to replace our aging propane Genesis 3000. It was our best option. I am not impressed with the new design style. I do not like the "riveted straps" on the new grills. They do not serve any purpose other than decoration, and it makes the grill look like a child's pirate treasure chest. Fit, finish, and overall quality are not up to the standards of our previous Weber grill.

To me, it reeks of "style over substance." It feels like Weber spent the bulk of the previous decade's engineering research money on manufacturing cost reduction. People seem to want the latest fashions and features, not quality and durability. Oh well. I am used to being out of step.

Emory: You are obviously not part of the Millenium crowd. And you mirror my thoughts as I am not part of that generation either.

We just bought a new 2022 Genesis natural gas grill, to replace our aging propane Genesis 3000. It was our best option. I am not impressed with the new design style. I do not like the "riveted straps" on the new grills. They do not serve any purpose other than decoration, and it makes the grill look like a child's pirate treasure chest. Fit, finish, and overall quality are not up to the standards of our previous Weber grill.

To me, it reeks of "style over substance." It feels like Weber spent the bulk of the previous decade's engineering research money on manufacturing cost reduction. People seem to want the latest fashions and features, not quality and durability. Oh well. I am used to being out of step.
I'll tell ya. I got a half a mind to grab this https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1449936192113092/ Honestly made so much better. My only thing would be the Member's Mark satisfaction guarantee (essentially a lifetime warranty). I would lose that and is it worth $200 to lose it. I really don't "need" my Genesis anymore for spinning food since I have the Wolf. So IDK this thing is truly tempting me rather than gutting the Genesis, welding in the new cross bar and generally futzing with it

So, if you don't need the Genesis any more, why would you need this grill?
They are probably going to have a tough time selling it since it is NG. You might be able to throw out a low ball offer and get it cheaper or wait a few weeks and then try a lower price.

So, if you don't need the Genesis any more, why would you need this grill?
They are probably going to have a tough time selling it since it is NG. You might be able to throw out a low ball offer and get it cheaper or wait a few weeks and then try a lower price.
The Genesis is a little smaller, easier to handle and wife can actually move it around and use it. She won't touch the Wolf. So the Genesis is my every day driver so to speak. If I snagged this guy's grill it would be the EDD and The Genesis would hopefully get picked up by someone on the group here. I'm just looking at the work involved, I'll need to get a welder I know to pick up the frame and get the new bar into it. Though I still have a lot of Genesis supplies and parts laying around. Some day I will find them all too :D I stumble into something I squirreled away so often LOL

Emory: You are obviously not part of the Millenium crowd. And you mirror my thoughts as I am not part of that generation either.
You're right. I like to buy quality and durability. Cry once. Then I keep it and use it until I can't fix it any longer. Just like me, I suppose - an oldie but goodie, but maybe not so durable. Still, my partner decided to keep me until she can't fix me any longer. :-o

I just thought that the "Expert" was so cheap as to have no doors and probably open in the back for access. Now, I am not so sure!

The panel hides the lower firebox stuff and provides some support to the frame. Lots of grills use the same construction.

Easy to assemble. They don’t weigh much either.

There are replacement parts available but it doesn’t make sense to spend more than $50 to keep them in service

End of the day it’s just heat to the meat. Lots of people seem to enjoy them.

Back