I will just leave this here

Jason, he responded back that he takes VENMO. I guess that is kind of like paypal or something. Anyway, I am just going to ignore him from now on, but if someone else really wants a #9890 Roto, then have it. $32 would be a good price for a new roto. I just don't really trust the guy or I would pursue it.

Bruce, I just now got the same message from him. Followed by a message from offer up safety tip "sending money through external wire Services can be risky". I don't know what venmo is, but I'm not sending him money through it. He also said I could resubmit the original order. That's not going to happen either. That sucks because I was looking forward to it,. But I don't think I want to deal with this person in order to get it. Even if I drove to his house and paid cash I could get it for $25. But then I would have to see him and I really don't want to at this point. And I decided after you responded with that venmo thing and he got back to me with it that I'm not going to repost it in the buy-sell section. I don't want to be responsible for a wire transfer going bad on one of our members. I could be misjudging this person and I always like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but I'm not going to take the chance.

Jason, I am with you. There will be more. There always is, you just have to be patient and another one will pop for you. I am getting screwed around bad by an auto parts outfit right now, but I paid them with my credit card and my bank is going to dispute the charges, deny the transaction and fight it out with the company for me. In fact, the whole thing is very similar to your deal except I didn't get a refund they promised me and that is why the bank is involved.

Yeah, stay away from that! Basically, if you list an item for sale on OfferUp and check the box for shipping, then OfferUp assigns an arbitrary shipping price. It may be that they have some limited agreements with the Post Office, but if a seller actually tried to ship for that price they will be turned away. The whole shipping thing on OfferUp is pretty much a work in progress that needs a LOT more work. Like it or hate it, at least eBay has that part all figured out. It shows when you see the shipping prices on Weber Kettles or other large items!

You fellas are in luck... ill be in roseville tommorow, ill be checkin in on a nice cheap redhead for parts i can grab this and ship to you if you all want... i can do paypal and ship.. its safer :) let me know

I can be in Roseville and about a half hour from my house. Just done dealing with this person. If you grab it let me know.

Not so much because I need that rotisserie. I would be more curious about your first impressions when meeting and dealing with the seller.

Venmo is legit. Infact it is owned by Paypal. It is very popular with millennials. It adds
a social interaction to exchanding $$ electronically, allowing users to interact, comment and
rate each other. However, there needs to be more of a trust factor involved when using Venmo
than Paypal, as the transactions can not be undone by them. You would have to get the 2nd
party to agree to refund the $$ to you. Certainly not the type of payment system you would want
to use with Sketchy McSketcherson that was pictured in the ad.

I am sure when he took that thing to the post office/feded what have you and found out shipping that size box would be more like $35 he balked. Doesn't mean he's shady (though that still may be true) but $7 to ship that is stupid cheap and cannot be done. I'll lay odds the seller had no clue about shipping larger items like that

Well, the fact that he just backed out and didn't respond is reason enough for me to consider him shady....the photo didn't help either, LOL. But, then he goes and relists it for the same price and SAME shipping cost. And then he accepted my offer to pay the $25 plush $7 shipping. So, maybe "stupid" is the word that you used that fits him best and not a seller you want to get into a financial deal with.

Yeah, stay away from that! Basically, if you list an item for sale on OfferUp and check the box for shipping, then OfferUp assigns an arbitrary shipping price. It may be that they have some limited agreements with the Post Office, but if a seller actually tried to ship for that price they will be turned away. The whole shipping thing on OfferUp is pretty much a work in progress that needs a LOT more work. Like it or hate it, at least eBay has that part all figured out. It shows when you see the shipping prices on Weber Kettles or other large items!
I always wondered how these shipping charges are calculated. I have seen tons of large Weber grills being offered with $5 shipping around the country. I wonder if the seller even get notified on how much the shipping is in their ad.

Not sure Stefan, but it just seems weird that Offerup doesn't correct it. I am sure they realize the issue and have probably dealt with thousands of complaints and bad reviews because of it. Maybe they want to keep shipping costs down to promote sales, but it seems that it would just create problems and bad experiences much like have already been described above.

Not sure Stefan, but it just seems weird that Offerup doesn't correct it. I am sure they realize the issue and have probably dealt with thousands of complaints and bad reviews because of it. Maybe they want to keep shipping costs down to promote sales, but it seems that it would just create problems and bad experiences much like have already been described above.

I think OfferUp has its definite positives, and I have enjoyed using it for local stuff much more than Craigslist. However, the shipping thing needs a lot more refinement.

That one looks pretty nice, but make sure you check out the firebox. I would still try to hold out for a Platinum version with the all stainless frame and cabinetry.
I don’t plan on buying it. I don’t really need a grill that big for the 4 of us. In case we need to cater for more I rather have a few smaller ones.

I don’t plan on buying it. I don’t really need a grill that big for the 4 of us. In case we need to cater for more I rather have a few smaller ones.

Stefan,

That has been something I have advocated in the past. Two regular Genesis grills can do way more than one Summit. I guess it is in part a "status" thing that these big grills bring. They do look substantial and eye-catching.

Back