I will just leave this here

Joe,

That GE grill might be a relatively low cost way into the league of gentleman fine grill owners! I don't know the history like Larry does, but I immediately saw the similarities to DCS and some other of the top of the line all 304SS grills. If you are up to the challenge and can invest in some pricey parts, you will certainly have one very fine grill. Just don't expect to flip it for profit.

That isn't going to be a headache if you like a big challenge and have a fat wallet. My guess is that the front panel in the cook box corroded out and it replacements are virtually non-existant. There may be other parts that would need replacing or modding, but they can usually be sourced through donor grills. I just wouldn't go into that grill expecting to have a fully functional grill by the end of the month.
The seller says he upgraded. When you are upgrading from a Summit, there has to be a reason.

Joe,

That GE grill might be a relatively low cost way into the league of gentleman fine grill owners! I don't know the history like Larry does, but I immediately saw the similarities to DCS and some other of the top of the line all 304SS grills. If you are up to the challenge and can invest in some pricey parts, you will certainly have one very fine grill. Just don't expect to flip it for profit.
Geez Jon, I thought I was already in the league with all of you. What league are we in, if not the one of "gentlemen of fine grill owners"?

Ah, so that front panel is a plague on summits of all generations? just seems like its in decent shape, though you can't see the front panel.

Yep, Rich, it isn't until people buy them and start cleaning them up and taking them apart that they notice the problem with the front panel. That is unless the corrosion is already so bad that flames are shooting back out through the burner holes and causing a potential nuclear meltdown.

Geez Jon, I thought I was already in the league with all of you. What league are we in, if not the one of "gentlemen of fine grill owners"?
Just having fun... I absolutely love my classic older Webers. Although, I have gone down some other rabbit trails, I will always be a Weber guy.

At the time, Weber's first Genesis grills were a huge jump in quality over the cheesy, mostly smaller competition still using lava rocks. To this day, the flavorizer bars and three E-W burner configuration are still hard to beat. I would call those earlier Webers the "Cadillac" of the industry. But, I have to admit that Larry makes a good point that some of the high-end grill makers such as Fire Magic, Wolf, Lynx, DCS and a few others have taken things to an extraordinarily high level. Now we are talking BMW or even Ferrari. Their solid 304SS (at least one company is now advertising all 316SS!) and attention to detail make them wonderful cookers with rust defying bodies. That doesn't mean they don't need cleaning or new parts. And, if you buy new you will be paying nice used car territory for your purchase! But, the opportunity is out there for the right person to grab something like the one you are looking at, put some money and elbow grease into it, and wind up with an exclusive, extraordinary grill. Whether that appeals to you - or anybody else - I guess just depends. But that's where my "league of gentlemen" off the wall comment was coming from.

Last edited:
Just having fun... I absolutely love my classic older Webers. Although, I have gone down some other rabbit trails, I will always be a Weber guy.

At the time, Weber's first Genesis grills were a huge jump in quality over the cheesy, mostly smaller competition still using lava rocks. To this day, the flavorizer bars and three E-W burner configuration are still hard to beat. I would call those earlier Webers the "Cadillac" of the industry. But, I have to admit that Larry makes a good point that some of the high-end grill makers such as Fire Magic, Wolf, Lynx, DCS and a few others have taken things to an extraordinarily high level. Now we are talking BMW or even Ferrari. Their solid 304SS (at least one company is now advertising all 316SS!) and attention to detail make them wonderful cookers with rust defying bodies. That doesn't mean they don't need cleaning or new parts. And, if you buy new you will be paying nice used car territory for your purchase! But, the opportunity is out there for the right person to grab something like the one you are looking at, put some money and elbow grease into it, and wind up with an exclusive, extraordinary grill. Whether that appeals to you - or anybody else - I guess just depends. But that's where my "league of gentlemen" off the wall comment was coming from.
Jon - I get it - I was just having some fun;-) My friend Jim has a Gran Turbo he pushed home when a neighbor put it on the curb. Huge hunk of SS that would be way overkill for me. Check out this post for a Turbo. It is a 7' long 4+2 burner. But being just the wife and I and my wife is just 5' with heals, and I had I think 8 abdominal surgeries, that isn't going to happen. A man has got to know his limitations... That kitchen Aid and Wolf continue to taunt me, but probably not meant to be, if I could thought I could make a few dollars on them I would be temped to try them out. To me any grill that is over $1500 new is another level that I am not likely to deal with. The nice thing about the Broilmasters is they have 1/2 the footprint of the old Webers.

Mystery Weber for free. Three pix in the ad, all with the cover on. I did message them for another picture or more info.
Mystery solved. A Spirit grill, with a griddle attachment. Owner sent me pix, and was going to save it for me, but it was poached before they could bring in from the end of the driveway. Oh well. spirit.jpggriddle.jpg

Last edited:

Back