I will just leave this here

When you say ceramic, do you mean only the ceramic "pyramids" or do you think the ceramic "tiles" with holes in them will also give that effect?
I am very interested, because I hope to wind up with a keeper Broilmaster and not sure which way to go. The ones I have refurbished and sold all had the tiles.
I tried them both ways. Very similar. I think the very slight taste nod went to the briquettes. But both gave better flavor than metal bars

I would be all over that Napoleon. Re the Broilmaster they're nice cooking grills They can put out fierce heat. I had a couple. One thing I noticed about them. When used with ceramics foods grilled on them tasted more like foods grilled over charcoal (real charcoal not that chemical stuff) than from anything off a Weber or my Wolf
When you mention ceramics, do you mean something like this

Brandon,
You need to grab that Broilmaster, load it up and go on a road trip to TVWBB Upper Midwest Meet! There is an idiot from Indiana who will be there who would probably pay you close to your "finished" price as is! No, don't do that, but DO think about doing a road trip to be at our First Annual Meet!
IF I buy all the broilmasters near me, maybe my wife will let me drive half way across the country just to get her deck back

@Joe Anshien @Jon Tofte @A Lee

I'm supposed to go look at the grill in the next couple of days. He is about 20 minutes from me and I won't have a truck till this weekend. He is only a week into selling it and made a point to tell me he was in "no hurry." He has it listed on LetGo, which almost no one uses down here, so I doubt he will ever unload it, so I may go out there and talk with him and then see if he wants to come back to me in a few weeks with an offer.

He said he broke 1 of the castors and removed the other 3 rather than buy a replacement. I'm leery that the cart is toast. If he is firm at $300 I don't know that it has any meat on the bone for me. Like-new Napoleon grills have just been sitting on marketplace for months at $500, so I think I'd need to sell at $400 tops after rescue. I'm also considering fixing it up and giving it to my friend so I can take back my Genesis 3000, but that is foolish.

I'm not sure how friendly Napoleon's warranty service is to the restoration community. He claims to be the original owner, so maybe I can get lucky and he will have a proof of purchase or remember where he bought it so I can try to take advantage of the lifetime warranty.

I think he's a little nuts and the rocks that close to the grates IMO not a good thing
After you mentioned you liked lava rocks and ceramics. It reminded me of my old 88 Sunbeam. I did a quick search and there seems to be a bunch of people that convert from flavorizers to lava or ceramic. I remember all the nooks and crannies in the old lava rock that would trap grease and flare up. I cleaned mine up once a year and replaced as necessary but most people never did. Most people only clean the grates on grills, if at all. People must thing grills are self cleaning or something. Be nice if there was a little grill fairy that went around cleaning grills when all the little boys and girls where sleeping. I can see the appeal of trying those ceramic briquets though. Maybe on the Q one day....

After you mentioned you liked lava rocks and ceramics. It reminded me of my old 88 Sunbeam. I did a quick search and there seems to be a bunch of people that convert from flavorizers to lava or ceramic. I remember all the nooks and crannies in the old lava rock that would trap grease and flare up. I cleaned mine up once a year and replaced as necessary but most people never did. Most people only clean the grates on grills, if at all. People must thing grills are self cleaning or something. Be nice if there was a little grill fairy that went around cleaning grills when all the little boys and girls where sleeping. I can see the appeal of trying those ceramic briquets though. Maybe on the Q one day....
I've been following a Embers Fireplaces & Outdoor Living youtube channel which has some fantastic videos on all the new BIFL grill brands.

A lot of their premium/luxury grills use the ceramic grates mounted to a SS plater. The guy recommends that people flip the plate upside down and do a burn-off at least monthly and has had complaints due to flare-ups from the bricks. I'd imagine loose bricks would be a real pain to flip that frequently on the older grills.

I'm supposed to go look at the grill in the next couple of days. He is about 20 minutes from me and I won't have a truck till this weekend. He is only a week into selling it and made a point to tell me he was in "no hurry." He has it listed on LetGo, which almost no one uses down here, so I doubt he will ever unload it, so I may go out there and talk with him and then see if he wants to come back to me in a few weeks with an offer.

He said he broke 1 of the castors and removed the other 3 rather than buy a replacement. I'm leery that the cart is toast. If he is firm at $300 I don't know that it has any meat on the bone for me. Like-new Napoleon grills have just been sitting on marketplace for months at $500, so I think I'd need to sell at $400 tops after rescue. I'm also considering fixing it up and giving it to my friend so I can take back my Genesis 3000, but that is foolish.

I'm not sure how friendly Napoleon's warranty service is to the restoration community. He claims to be the original owner, so maybe I can get lucky and he will have a proof of purchase or remember where he bought it so I can try to take advantage of the lifetime warranty.
Sounds like a plan. Keep us updated. That grill is too new to be rusted IMHO. Ask for more pictures. If you got the virus, you may want a hitch and cargo carrier. Makes life so much easier. Much lower lift than a PU truck.

Brandon - If you got the Prestige fixed up you could get that really nice charcoal tray to try out and report back;-) This group is so good at helping to spend other peoples money and time isn't it ;) ? Yesterday I was covered in saw dust. I never thought I would be doing wood work on a grill. *** has happened to me?

Found another interesting option. Guy can't give me the model, but it appears to be a 2017 Napoleon Prestige Pro 500, which is a $2500 grill with a lifetime warranty.

He claims it has an accessory that allows you to cook with charcoal right in the grilling surface, and sure enough, such does exist for it. Brand-new rotisserie and dual infrared sear stations.

He's at $300. I'm at $150. Guess we will see what happens next month when he still has it.

View attachment 27437

This BroilMaster is near my parents. For $30 I might take a shot at it and hope it's a scrape and sell for $100.

Anyone have any experience with these? @Jon Tofte
View attachment 27438View attachment 27439
That Napoleon is stunning.
Can’t believe I just described a grill as “stunning”

Sounds like a plan. Keep us updated. That grill is too new to be rusted IMHO. Ask for more pictures. If you got the virus, you may want a hitch and cargo carrier. Makes life so much easier. Much lower lift than a PU truck.
I'd like to agree with you, but IDK what a frame sitting directly on a concrete pad could do to it. I keep my grill(s) on a concrete patio and use a grill pad to minimize the acidic off gas that comes in contact with the underside of the grill. Even with that I usually have to repair my bases every 1-2 years.

I have no room for a trailer, but I do have a truck on pre-order and should be hearing from them sometime this month to schedule what I HOPE to be a June/July delivery. The rusty grill world is soon to be my oyster.

I'd like to agree with you, but IDK what a frame sitting directly on a concrete pad could do to it. I keep my grill(s) on a concrete patio and use a grill pad to minimize the acidic off gas that comes in contact with the underside of the grill. Even with that I usually have to repair my bases every 1-2 years.

I have no room for a trailer, but I do have a truck on pre-order and should be hearing from them sometime this month to schedule what I HOPE to be a June/July delivery. The rusty grill world is soon to be my oyster.
A cargo carrier not trailer (much less space). Like one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GJLYNVG/?tag=tvwb-20
A lot cheaper than a truck. I got the 24" deep one so the grills all fit..

Joe,

I think that ditching the lava rocks in favor of the ceramic "tiles" with holes in them worked very well on my Sunbeam "The Judge"

IMG_0651.jpg

I see that as a very nice "keeper" grill that would be fun to use and learn more about. I don't think it is a good flip candidate.

IF I buy all the broilmasters near me, maybe my wife will let me drive half way across the country just to get her deck back

That first one is a home run that I wish was close tome. The others are like what I see for sale around me. The pole mounts, I think, are not a popular option making them very hard to re-sell.

Well, with my move they haven't seen action in almost a year. They do hold up well. Pretty much you just flip them over when they start looking a little cruddy. They create a pretty interesting "infrared" heating pattern and do seem to hold down the flare-ups.

Even Burner.jpg

While I DO like how they work, I guess I am enough of a Weber junkie to have never messed with the flavorizer bar design which is the heart of Weber's creation of the Genesis. It would be interesting, though, to try and rig up a lower grate to hold these and try it out!

Last edited:
That looks really nice. I am guessing they are new there? How are they holding up? Would you ever consider doing that in a Weber?
From what I'm reading, they have been standard over the briquettes in the top-of-the-line Broilmasters for at least 10 years. To me it looks like a no brainer for $60.

Back