I will just leave this here

I guess I never really thought about this forum leading to people using the information to hurt those who share it. While definitely not a private site, it is off the beaten path for most people who buy grills. And, really, even if someone looked at posts here and told me that they knew I was (or more likely should be!) making a nice profit on a grill, that wouldn't deter me from asking the highest fair price I can. I am not talking about taking advantage of someone, but it is really no different then selling a used car or anything else. It is what the buyer feels they are willing to pay and the seller is willing to accept. That's the way it is supposed to be.

While I wouldn't share my personal income here, this is a hobby/side thing that I am happy to share about so that I can learn more form others here. Lately, I have been trying to build up my resolve to ask higher prices and encouraging others here to do the same. I want to see all of us be able to be fairly rewarded for the dirty, dangerous and time consuming work we put in, as Joe so accurately described.

Finally, some really cool old Weber grills DO go to the landfill all the time. Not only is that a waste from an environmental viewpoint, to me it is a tragedy when a special piece of Americana is lost and one more imported junk grill is purchased instead.

Yah, I was at my local county landfill a couple years ago and I was dumping some junk metal....probably grill parts. But there was a nice looking Genesis Silver B in the huge bin and it looked good except that it had been dumped in and fell probably ten feet and was pretty messed up. I talked to the lady running the place and she said they get grills all the time but didn't know if they were Weber or what brand. I told her if she ever sees any with "WEBER" on them to give me a call. She promised she would and took my number. I have yet to get a call, but every time I go there I ask and she says she has my number....:( But, yah, these grills do wind up in the land fills quite often.

No, nothing like that. I think a $10 Band-Aid surcharge on each grill will take care of it. Some grills I get lucky and barely hurt myself at all. So, I figure I can bank those surcharges for the occasional finger reattachment.
One of the few advantages of being old is that you hurt yourself and don't even know it until you see a blood trail.

Yah, I was at my local county landfill a couple years ago and I was dumping some junk metal....probably grill parts. But there was a nice looking Genesis Silver B in the huge bin and it looked good except that it had been dumped in and fell probably ten feet and was pretty messed up. I talked to the lady running the place and she said they get grills all the time but didn't know if they were Weber or what brand. I told her if she ever sees any with "WEBER" on them to give me a call. She promised she would and took my number. I have yet to get a call, but every time I go there I ask and she says she has my number....:( But, yah, these grills do wind up in the land fills quite often.
Maybe you should offer a $10 or $20 finder's fee for their time and trouble? Everybody likes to get paid, right? Or is it that not many vintage Webers make it to the dump these days?

that thing is super done
If that was near me, I would grab it. Many of those parts are totally useable and not available anywhere. If it weren't for the lousy firebox, that is one of the best Weber made.

If someone in NJ wants to grab and part it out, I would be interested in buying some of the parts.

I will be working on a solution for that firebox issue. Stay tuned...

1616773731976.png

Got this yesterday to compliment my Weber. Used it for the first time last night. I smoked Chix thighs to 165 f then I threw them on the weber for 3 minutes a side to crisp up the skin. They were awesome.
1616773852123.png

1616773870587.png

I have seen a lot of overpriced grills on CL and FB MP, but this is the first time I have seen a guy advertise his well used 20 year old grill for $25 less than what he paid for it new nineteen years ago.

Actually a nickel MORE, when you exclude the original sales tax. These things are obviously a fantastic long term investment ;)

No, it is a hobby and one that is constantly being revised to the point that I am able to rehab a grill and pay myself more than I could make at McDonalds. When I first started, I was lucky to earn $25 for all my time after grinding out the box and end caps, sanding, cleaning painting, disassembling, reassembling, replacing parts, etc..... I took out of pocket losses on some of my grills early on. I have since refined my methods and accumulated enough spare parts and found good sources for other parts that I can rehab a grill to the point I am not only feeding my hobby, but putting a few bucks in the back pocket while also upping my game. My rehabs today are much better than they were three and four years ago. Hence the price
No, I am not a worthy target of Uncle Sam and the IRS, but do have a hobby that pays for itself...unlike golf.If you are good enough, golf can pay pretty well😉. I have seen some big ski

Ok, here you go. This isn't discussing what we members here charge, but rather what others are trying to get for their grills. So here's a very nice later 300 series Genesis with the 4th "sear burner." Very nice, but NOT restored or overly cleaned up. Cast iron grates, but they look brand new.

So, what would one of these command if it were TOTALLY restored? What about if it had a NEW hood, stainless grates, and custom 304 stainless replacement bottom and back that matched the original pieces perfectly? OK, I am meandering now toward what WE should charge;), but, really? How much would a grill like this be worth if someone restored it to literally BETTER than original?

Here's another one cleaned up and a little less, but still looking for $400:

So, what would one of these command if it were TOTALLY restored? What about if it had a NEW hood, stainless grates, and custom 304 stainless replacement bottom and back that matched the original pieces perfectly? OK, I am meandering now toward what WE should charge;), but, really? How much would a grill like this be worth if someone restored it to literally BETTER than original?
Both are worth it and should bring at or very close to their asking prices IF the unseen floors
are still in nice shape. The add-ons you mention would greatly increase the value to most of us,
but I doubt that they would mean much to the average used grill buyer. I highly doubt you
would be able to recoup the added cost.

I would not bother with either one honestly. At least not at those prices. YMMV but I just don't like those grills

Both are worth it and should bring at or very close to their asking prices IF the unseen floors
are still in nice shape. The add-ons you mention would greatly increase the value to most of us,
but I doubt that they would mean much to the average used grill buyer. I highly doubt you
would be able to recoup the added cost.
Bruce - I guess $350 for a restored maroon Silver with a rotisserie doesn't seem to much to charge any more.
Dave - I think you are correct. I find people generally don't know or really care what kind of grates, flavorizers, etc they are. They just want clean and decent looking. Just look at all the people buying "Big box grills". Are they checking for 304 SS grates, etc? At least if they are buying a used Weber over one of those cheesy new grills they are at least a little bit "smarter" about their grill;-)

I pretty much agree with all of the above. I have never had a customer ask if grates were 304. I have never had one bring a magnet to check them. It is all about looks and presentation IMO. Half of them decline when I offer to fire the darn thing up.

I pretty much agree with all of the above. I have never had a customer ask if grates were 304. I have never had one bring a magnet to check them. It is all about looks and presentation IMO. Half of them decline when I offer to fire the darn thing up.
I never offer to fire it up, I just do it. I demo everything I sell. I want them to know that everything I sell works as described when it leaves my house. That way there is no possible disagreement down the road. It is funny how many people buy the sofas I sell just on looks. I make sure to encourage them to sit and try them out to make sure it is comfortable for them as I would never buy furniture without trying. I have had only 2 returns of all the things I have sold. One was an elliptical that a woman insisted on paying in advance, and picking up when I was not here. The other was a patio heater. Before coming I asked what kind of vehicle she had as I wanted to make sure it was capable of transporting an 8' heater. She said a PU truck. She came with a small SUV with another lady and kid in the back seat. Well they jammed that heater in and surprise it did not work when she got home. I demoed it working before she took the heater. Big argument and I finally took it back -$10 "restocking fee".

Back