I will just leave this here

I have seen plenty of older grills for high prices as well but hardly anything that would be a reasonable cheap candidate for a rehab. In general the old Genesis and x000 models seem have disappeared here. I don't even remember the last time I saw a x000 for sale. Now it is more 2 and 3 burner Spirit with the front controls and sidewinder and later Genesis. But all these like to rust and have to be cheap to make any profit.

I am seeing it right now with mixers. People asking insane prices for broken down junk. Beat to hell, missing accessories and so on. It's really cutting into my inventory of salable units. Right now I am down to 2 6qt machines pre sold. One I have to build and one is done, I just have to "detail" it to get all my paw marks off it and any residue from my daughter giving it a test bake. So it will leave me with one 6qt machine not built yet and one 5qt tilt head Artisan I just went to Madison to get on Wednesday that I need to rebuild yet. That one will cut a bit into profit. Owner said it was making a "noise". Usually just a minor issue. This time I have to replace the entire motor internals (armature and field coils). Thankfully I have a good stock of those items. I bought out a dealer and got a whole box full of each for the cost of one. But that's how you turn a buck. If I hadn't had them, I would have to part this one out and sell it for scrap. Nice unit otherwise though.
But sadly once these are gone it'll be a loooong time before I have anything to sell again. This hoarding culture has people thinking that these old machines are made of gold. And if they slap the word "antique" on it the price doubles. I guess I could hold out. Renege on the pre solds and raise the asking prices but I totally refuse to do that. I will close my shop before I turn to thieving
Larry, what kind of mixers are your estoring? Kitchaid? And yes that "vintage" or "antique" labeling is stupid.

Yes I rebuild/resell and repair KA mixers. I only do that brand as it's the only one actually built well enough to rebuild and keep going. You will see lots of folks who think they know about them posting their old beat up garbage online saying how they're so much better than the new ones because the new ones are "Made in China" and it is totally BS. The new machines are still built in the US. Most in the old Hobart factory in Troy Ohio. They still use the exact same parts and I can fully "mechanically" rebuild almost any machine made of the "K" series all the way back to 40's and some to the 30's. Sadly though in the mid 70's they went to a solid state type of speed control. While this benefited the machines the old ones electrically were than doomed to obsolescence. So while I can rebuild one mechanically (like I recently did with the over 50 yo machine that was my mom's) to hand down to my daughter, if the speed control plate, resistor or any motor part fails it's a paper weight (though I do have machines I have scavenged for parts) so I could keep it going for her if need be. I will take those old units on trade but I do not resell them. Some I do recondition and give away though. Most recently I gave one to my neighbor for his wife's b'day. But, I won't sell them because I cannot guarantee them. I give people a 1 year warranty on my rebuild and on their purchases.
Anyway the scammers are out there trying to get rich off of junk. I bet I could raise my prices 30% but I won't.

Yep, I'm out of the restoration business also and have been for a long time. Haven't seen a gen X000 up hear in two years and the ones down in Phoenix must be made of gold for what their asking if you can find one. Plus a trip to Phoenix is a 200 mi rt.
The the later sidewinder gens are rare also but because we don't have the rust issues they are good candidates for rehabs, can't say about the front control gens as I haven't done one but they would be hard to make any money on them because they are still pretty expensive.
My last restore will be my chocolate gen 2, I'm gathering parts for that and will start it in the spring but that will be a keeper.

Jon - I have been in awe of some of the rebuilds I have seen on this forum. I can not believe the level of detail in the restores I have seen and really enjoy them. Since I am basically unemployable in my career in computers at this age of 59, I really wanted to find a hobby I enjoy and can make money at. I have found that people around here are willing to only pay so much for an old Weber, no matter how great it comes out. They will actually pay more for a newer one that is an "upgrade" for them. It maybe that there are a lot of young folks moving in, and with student loans and home prices, I am not sure how much they are willing to dish out for a grill. I like fixing things and hate to see waste. So far I have fixed up and sold 38 grills and 48 sofas and pieces of leather furniture, as well as some lawn mowers, microwaves, mini fridges, vacuums, etc. In the last 2 years I have saved a lot of stuff from the landfill, and made over $15K. The amount of sofas probably will drop off as they are getting harder for my wife and I to move. Attached is a pic one of my leather sofas
Beautiful work! I would be very interested in hearing about the process used to transform that sofa.

Here are a couple examples of the range of things I am seeing:

That $25 Silver B is a good one for rehabbing IMO. The 3000/4000 is also good, but I would like to see a lower price. I would not make a drive for the E300 unless I saw some pretty nice looking photos of the inside of the cabinet.

I posted the 300 because I thought the price was ridiculous for what he is offering.

I agree with you on the $25 Silver. Just posted that to show I see bargains in our area from time to time on these “real” Genesis grills whereas others aren’t seeing any.

The older, extended cart Genesis holds more appeal to me. The side burner and possibly redeemable slats make it worth more - but maybe not the asking price. It’s been listed a long time, so possibly he would bargain. I am already overloaded, though, so not for me right now.

I am just putting this out there as a typical example of a grill I sell. This is a grill I got for free and put $45 into and about 3 hours of work cleaning and replacing grates, ignition, drip pan with holder, and rebuilt casters. I sold today for a $90 profit in less than a day.

Yah, that is just another level of restore. A quick clean and quick flip for a nice profit. That is about what I suggest for someone who just wants to rehab a grill for themselves. No need to blast the cook box and take everything down to nuts and bolts. It will just get dirty again anyway.

Why stop at $400?

We have had some interesting discussions about how high you can go on nice older Genesis grills. Here’s someone’s idea. I kind of like the “living room look” to the picture that helps convey that it is super clean. Of course who knows what lurks inside, and I can see the right side frame extension needs attention - like they often do on these stainless frame Platinums:

Yah, both above listings have significant information discrepencies with them. Very common really.

Back