I will just leave this here

13 bar Platinum I
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/app/d/yorba-linda-weber-grill/7145863573.html
00000_1eeoSrXhz7E_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Love that brick red color. I would have to seriously consider the $75 for that grill. I would probably offer $50 and see what happens.

I could not resist. This is about 30 minutes from me. He's going to deliver it for $10. It appears to been very well cared for, 2nd owner, been in storage, the burners and bars are very nice.
It's close to me as well. My first (and only) resto took me six months, and I don't think my DW would appreciate me doing another one anytime soon. I'm very glad it went to a good home. Have you thought about the grates? Dave Santana could probably make you a special set if you want to keep and use that smoker box.

I would love to get a hold of one one those to see if I could shoe horn a 13 bar cook box in there and make it all work. That frame and cabinet with an aluminum cook box is where Weber missed the boat.

It's close to me as well. My first (and only) resto took me six months, and I don't think my DW would appreciate me doing another one anytime soon. I'm very glad it went to a good home. Have you thought about the grates? Dave Santana could probably make you a special set if you want to keep and use that smoker box.
DW? Around here, we call her SWMBO, but I do know what you are saying. I'm going to have to stop looking, too. 4 Webers are enough. Please, somebody tell me, 4 is enough.

The FBs are a lightly used Weber stainless steel set. I'm going to clean the grill some because it is dusty from being in storage and then use it as is. This grill has been used very little and would be a relatively easy resto, I think. Smoker boxes are a necessity IMO...do 13 bars make a difference?

Last edited:
DW? Around here, we call her SWMBO, but I do know what you are saying. I'm going to have to stop looking, too. 4 Webers are enough. Please, somebody tell me, 4 is enough.

The FBs are new on this one but plain steel and I ordered a set of the FBs for the Silver C from Dave this weekend. I'm going to clean it up some because it is dusty from being in storage and then use it as is because the hot weather is about to set in. This grill has been used very little and would be a relatively easy resto, I think. Smoker boxes are a necessity IMO so when the time comes I'll have Dave make me a set of grates and replace the FBs at the same time...do 13 bars make a difference?
DW=Dear/Darling Wife. I have a 13 bar Genesis 1000 that I restored. I love the deeper box for more rotisserie room. Supposedly, a 13 bar deep box heats more evenly and there is less chance of flare up. Mine heats very evenly. I can't attest to flare up performance because it's mostly used for rotisserie chicken, drip pan potatoes and veggies. I did cook burgers on it once and was able to induce some flare up, I think, because the burgers were 80% chuck roast and 20% pork belly. From what I've read, the 13 bar takes longer to pre-heat because of the extra metal, particularly with Dave's bars and grates. I bought a V shaped smoker box that rests on the flavor bars. I put hickory pellets in and it gives a hint of smoke flavor.

I would at least be tempted by that one. As Bruce pointed out, Weber was so close on that grill and the Genesis Platinum of that same two year period. The perfect grill would have been a marriage of the Summit’s cabinetry and the Genesis all aluminum firebox. I wonder if you wouldn’t have a better shot at adapting a Genesis 300 series firebox with front controls. If you could somehow also save and adapt in the infrared rear burner it would still be a great rotisserie grill. I think, though, the more realistic plan is to have thick stainless patch panels made and riveted to shore up the problem areas of the Summit’s firebox.

DW=Dear/Darling Wife. I have a 13 bar Genesis 1000 that I restored. I love the deeper box for more rotisserie room. Supposedly, a 13 bar deep box heats more evenly and there is less chance of flare up. Mine heats very evenly. I can't attest to flare up performance because it's mostly used for rotisserie chicken, drip pan potatoes and veggies. I did cook burgers on it once and was able to induce some flare up, I think, because the burgers were 80% chuck roast and 20% pork belly. From what I've read, the 13 bar takes longer to pre-heat because of the extra metal, particularly with Dave's bars and grates. I bought a V shaped smoker box that rests on the flavor bars. I put hickory pellets in and it gives a hint of smoke flavor.
So how does one go about model identification on these gas grills?

Last edited:
Find the serial number on the data sticker. It can be inside the cabinet if it has one. On the back side of the panel that the propane tank holder is on. It can be under the control panel. It can be on the right side of the control panel between it and the handle. Or, it can a number of other places. A lot has to do with the model of the grill as to where you "might" find the sticker. On many, the stickers are already unreadable. But, if you find the serial number, you can plug it in on Weber.com and find out what the model is.
If you post up a photo, we can probably give you a pretty spot on model ID and reasonable date range.

We have a stainless steel refrigerator and now I know why people who bought the DeLorean when new were having them painted.
the firebox looks like it is rusted. If you could get a warranty firebox and lid (I just got warranty coverage for my non stainless version) it would make a good keeper but not a flip. I love mine - gets 700 easy but can also smoke and rotisserie with the IR burner. I have put a lot of money into over the years but it is a very versatile grill.

I think, though, the more realistic plan is to have thick stainless patch panels made and riveted to shore up the problem areas of the Summit’s firebox.

the firebox looks like it is rusted.

What are you guys seeing that I'm not?

Ed, I think they are talking about a Summit grill that was posted earlier than this redhead Genesis 1000

it is difficult to tell but the discoloration on the front steel portion of the firebox looks to me like there are likely hidden holes below the control panel. That is how mine looked even though you couldn’t see the holes without removing the control panel.

Yes, and I'm not seeing it. Are you looking at the front of the firebox in the corners?
SummitPlatinum.jpg

There's a sliver of the front of the firebox visible above the control panel and below the grates. There is visible discoloration corresponding to where the burner tubes enter the firebox. That discoloration is likely the beginning of rust. Once the control panel is removed, it is likely there will be actual rust-out on the front of the box. But that area is only visible by removing the control panel. If I wanted a project, I'd arrange to view the grill, pop that panel off, show him the rust and offer him $50. Hopefully, he did not registered the grill.

Back