I saw something today that will BLOW YOUR MIND!

C Lewis

TVWBB Super Fan
It never stopped PK from selling grills with no built-in ash collection method. Two vents that open to the bottom. The "New PK" does include an aluminum bottom shelf that at least keeps the ashes off the ground. Many users put a large foil pan there to catch the ash. I have a very old PK that has no such provision.
The main reason that I never bought a PK.

C Lewis

TVWBB Super Fan
That's a valid point, who knows if they will release this model, perhaps as a modified version of this replica. I would actually prefer an ash catcher & some way to hang the lid, I could always as add my own thermometer.
I'd still like it to be original though, and add my own pan or whatever underneath. Never happen though, not in this sue-happy world.

Jon Tofte

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Definitely a design shortcoming, but they are still really nice grills that last forever. My restored one is at least 50 years old. With virtually everything made of aluminum (even the hinges are cast into the design of the top and bottom), these things are impervious to the rust monster that bedevils old Weber kettles.

IMG_7284.jpeg

IMG_7096.jpeg

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB Olympian
They were based on buoy design, that was a fairly normal “top” shape, it was the improved higher done lid that was the stroke of genius! The original is kind of cool but, no. I will continue to enjoy the last time anything was “New and Improved” which was actually true.

Jon Tofte

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I agree, Timothy. But, I admit having one - even black - that LOOKS a little like the original would be a cool conversation piece to have in my office :smilekettle: !

Kyle in Woodstock

TVWBB Guru
The PK360 has a plug you can remove. Makes it easy to clean out the ash. Just hang a bucket underneath, sweep the ashes in the hole. If it didn't have the plug/hole, it would be a pretty big pain....guess using a shop-vac would be the way to go.

The Weber one-touch blades do make it easy, but those are just another part that you'll have to replace every few years if you use the grill regularly.

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB Olympian
I don’t understand how people need to replace ash sweeps “every few years” my grills see pretty heavy action and I’ve only replaced the ones in the overperformer once in 20 years, I just don’t get it.
I guess it must be the protective layer of chicken and pork fat!🤣

Andy Linn

TVWBB Fan
I caught the Harry Soo video (love his channel) and thought the 'replica' looked cool. Super cool that he gave Chris and his site a shout out.

In my opinion - that stand could be modified slightly and paired with the jumbo joe to create a really neat portable option. That would probably motivate me to open my wallet a bit and displace my smokey joe.