I saw a woman the other night at Home Depot

Wow. LP exchanges are ALL under $20 per tank here. And I can get a tank fully filled for under $15. People using that much LP should probably consider 30lb tanks or even bigger. The exchanges only fill them to about 70 or 75% full.

Wow. LP exchanges are ALL under $20 per tank here. And I can get a tank fully filled for under $15. People using that much LP should probably consider 30lb tanks or even bigger. The exchanges only fill them to about 70 or 75% full.
LP has gone up like nat gas, last time I got my tanks refilled at Ace which was 3 mos ago got 2 done get me thru the winter they were under 14 bucks and exchange from Walmart might have been 16 bucks forget. The Ace guy was nice both my tanks are at the point even they won't refill them so its off to Walmart for exchange the next time.

Here in kalifornia, tank exchange is about $50 a bottle, granted you can get a tank filled for about $40 a bottle, but if the bottle is 10 years or older, they won't refill it. Her price of $255 for five bottles isn't too far off (imho)
That requirement is a crock. The way the regulation is written, all that's required is a visual inspection by a "qualified technician", which tells me the requirement was likely written for the propane exchange company to enhance their sales.

Propane tank pressure is about 175psi on a hot day, not nearly enough to cause a tank rupture. Ever notice that there is no pressure release relief valve on a small propane tank, unlike on the big ones? Anyway, if a refilI station gives me grief about filling my tanks I let them know I'm taking my business to a refill station that doesn't bother with such silliness. Find out where the motorhomes go and go there.

Last edited:
Under $20 here last time, I think I have two needing to see the supplier. They used to weigh, fill to proper status and only charge for the actual amount refilled if they were previously done at the same site. That seems to have changed along with some staffing shake up at Ferrelgas on Shaver road in Portage, MI. The older gent has been replaced with younger ladies who have never filled a tank of anything (speculation on that) so, now they treat refills just like exchanges. I liked getting a partial fill if that was all I needed but now, I’ll simply run them totally dead, I may start exchanging anymore.

Yah, Walmart is a crap shoot on getting a new tank that is still officially certified. If Walmart gets an out of date exchange, they inspect it and do an in house certification that is only recognized by them. They don't do a regular recert that other outfits would accept. But, if you are lucky, you get one in exchange that still has many years left on the original certification.

By the way, if you get a hold of a tank that has one of the old style POL or quick connects, the refill places many times won't refill them. But, Walmart takes them in exchange every time, no questions asked.

Got 3 tanks and a partial refilled at the end of November, $77 and change, propane at $4.09/gal + tax. I went to Rite-Aid the last time I exchanged a tank because it had a cracked seal. I went to Rite-Aid and it was obvious the clerk at the store had no idea what propane tanks were used for and couldn't care less. Nice enough guy, though, just wanted to get back to his main duties.

This sort of “BIG Brother” certification oversight that makes me happy to use charcoal as primary grilling fuel! That,and, the seemingly constant repair and restoration involved in gas grills.
I say that with some reservation to be sure. I like my old Genesis but, it seems that my 28 year old kettle only needs periodis cleaning, I don’t need to too worried about anything but fuel.
As a “digital” buddy of mine says.
“Using the Orb, is simply fueling the thing, when using Satans flatulence, there are many more pitfalls.”
I use a kettle 10/1 over the Genny.
I guess it’s just my comfort zone.
No one looks at tanks around here.

Last edited:
That requirement is a crock. The way the regulation is written, all that's required is a visual inspection by a "qualified technician", which tells me the requirement was likely written for the propane exchange company to enhance their sales.

Propane tank pressure is about 175psi on a hot day, not nearly enough to cause a tank rupture. Ever notice that there is no pressure release valve on a small propane tank, unlike on the big ones? Anyway, if a refilI station gives me grief about filling my tanks I let them know I'm taking my business to a refill station that doesn't bother with such silliness. Find out where the motorhomes go and go there.
It is most definitely a crock. We have an abundance of crock here on the left coast

I have a guy who does FULL exchanges (not the Blue Rhino or WM partials) for $23/tanks.....and he delivers. :)

I have 9 tanks, I call him when four are empty.

R
Dang, and I thought I was getting deal at Tractor Supply, last time I paid $20-something for a bottle was a president ago

For whatever it’s worth I started using Cynch, they came out with an app too. I think it’s $24.99 but I’ve gotten discount emails all 3 times I used it. I think it was $5 off Black Friday, nice clean new tanks, really like it so far.

Dang, and I thought I was getting deal at Tractor Supply, last time I paid $20-something for a bottle was a president ago
LP gas prices do fluctuate quite a bit. It is fairly high right now. I remember filling up for $2.59 a gallon 2-3 years ago. It is probably $3.50 or so now.
1 gallon is a little over 4 lbs of propane.

I don't know why, but I just can't help trying to make up a limerick!

"There once was a woman from Jersey,
Who didn't know how to curtsy.
She bought 5 tanks full of propane
People saw and thought it was profane
And wondered who was held at her mercy."

I'm switching to decaf.

EDIT: Rewrite 2!

There once was a woman from Jersey
To Home Depot she went, in a hurry.
Gimme propane! 5 tanks!
No questions! No thanks!

And left people wondering WTH and posting on TVWBB.com wassup with that.
[rimshot]

All in good fun! Make up your own last verse...Jersey is not easy to rhyme!

Last edited:
Seems most of you are paying more to exchange tanks or refill that I had paid down here but again this was months ago. Dan I get your people don't care about the 10 year thing and until my last refill Ace did not either they did refill them and as I said they won't do it again its liability for them and I totally get it. When I get an exchange tank Walmart is always the cheapest they are clueless so I will just check the date and make sure I am in a range that I can get them refilled last time I did an exchange which was years ago I picked my own tanks out the poor girl they sent out to give me my tanks said pick anyone you want so I did get the newest one but they were pretty old in certs also.

Seems most of you are paying more to exchange tanks or refill that I had paid down here but again this was months ago. Dan I get your people don't care about the 10 year thing
The refill folks care, and check the dates on the tanks.
The exchange places don't even look.

For me its convenience. I can drive about a mile and get a tank exchanged quickly. The longest part is going inside to pay for it.

The refill places have been short staffed or are a bit of a drive so the time and gas cost to save a couple of bucks on propane is almost a wash.

Interesting, here in California, I have a neighborhood Walmart that has an Ameri gas kiosk that I was simply purchase or exchange a tank. 15 bucks last time I passed by it for exchange. 49.95 for a new one.

I actually need to refill/exchange one of mine, Interested to see what I get back.

LP gas prices do fluctuate quite a bit. It is fairly high right now. I remember filling up for $2.59 a gallon 2-3 years ago. It is probably $3.50 or so now.
1 gallon is a little over 4 lbs of propane.
Natural Gas & Propane are now considered evil here on the left coast. It's always something

We have a garden center here (for those of you who are from this area originally) you may recall the old Fritchen's on corner of Mulford and Linden. They have a Tuesday special to refill for $12.50. I have one empty tank and keep forgetting to take it. And fwiw they don't even look at that date code thing. Unlike Cherry Valley Garden Center. Last time I went there they refilled but scolded me for having old tanks and said "last time". I never went back either
Also FWIW, I doubt she was doing anything nefarious. Ever think maybe her furnace went out and was using one of those propane forced air heaters?

Back