I picked up two Genesis 1000s from

Larry,
I am glad you will be giving your Wolf a new lease on life. Sounds like a Genesis with side burner is a perfect fit for your other needs, so hopefully the Summit won’t be missed too much. It will be an easy sell.

Jon

I just moved the Summit to the garage. It will receive a good cleaning and scraping out, maybe a little paint, it will get the porcelain U shaped grates from that $20 Genesis I picked up yesterday and since that grill will become my go to daily driver on the deck it will get the heavy stainless rod grates off the Summit. Or maybe I'll snag a couple of those Amazon $32.00 grates you got Bruce so the Summit "looks" all nice and dolled up. Maybe I can get a couple hun out of it? Hard to say. I just figure to cut my losses and maybe pay for the RC grates for the Wolf. I have to look for the LP jets for the Summit also because I need to keep the hose to run the Silver B on since it originally is a NG unit anyway. We shall see. Dave said he's ordered all the materials for my new grates so they're in process

Sounds like you have a good plan lined up Larry. Keep us posted how it all goes.

I just moved the Summit to the garage. It will receive a good cleaning and scraping out, maybe a little paint, it will get the porcelain U shaped grates from that $20 Genesis I picked up yesterday and since that grill will become my go to daily driver on the deck it will get the heavy stainless rod grates off the Summit. Or maybe I'll snag a couple of those Amazon $32.00 grates you got Bruce so the Summit "looks" all nice and dolled up. Maybe I can get a couple hun out of it? Hard to say. I just figure to cut my losses and maybe pay for the RC grates for the Wolf. I have to look for the LP jets for the Summit also because I need to keep the hose to run the Silver B on since it originally is a NG unit anyway. We shall see. Dave said he's ordered all the materials for my new grates so they're in process

I think you will find some real interest in your Summit. I am glad I am not up there or it would be another temptation to resist :rolleyes:!

Check out this Genesis Jr.!

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/for/d/weber-grill-genesis-jr/6579636020.html

6FchLEj.jpg

I'm guessing these are super rare. It's a good thing it's not close to me LOL.

Those Juniors, while very interesting, are going to be money sinks. Let somebody else do those! They even look like they have deep fireboxes. Very interesting, but like old cars hard to find parts for!

Those Juniors, while very interesting, are going to be money sinks. Let somebody else do those! They even look like they have deep fireboxes. Very interesting, but like old cars hard to find parts for!

I think you are right because rcplanebuyer has a set of flavorizer bars on sale for the junior that have fewer bars but still two rows. What I understand the big issue to be is trying to find burners for this rare grill. It is definitely unique and of historical note, but not very practical in my view. If you want one for yourself it could be cool but definitely not a rehab and sell candidate in my mind.

Several posters on here have said those juniors weren't very good from a grilling standpoint? Not nearly as good as the genesis A which is also a two burner.

Hey everybody, my wife would like SS cooking grates for her Genesis 1000 LX, does anyone know if they are available and where I could get one?

For economy Stainless steel solid rod grates: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0798LMYGY/tvwb-20
For economy Stamped Stainless steel grates: http://www.bbqparts.com/cgi-local/wbpart.pl?7527-AM
For Premium Stainless Steel solid rod grates you want to get them from RCPLanebuyer. You should be able to contact him through this Craigslist listing. Don't worry what the CL add is for, just email him an tell him what you are looking for and he will give you a price quote. They are expensive, over $100 shipped, but they are the best.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/for/d/weber-flavor-bars/6545836481.html

Steve,
Bruce laid it out perfect for you. If you can splurge and get rcplanebuyer grates, I can guarantee you will be impressed. There are some other recent threads about grates, including pictures, that might help you in deciding. The stainless bars are a lot easier to keep from getting crudded up than the stamped stainless, and I personally think they make better sear marks.

RCPlanebuyer stainless grates ran me $120 plus shipping a year ago. I purchased flavorizers same time to lump in.

They are exquisite.

For economy Stainless steel solid rod grates: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0798LMYGY/?tag=TVWB-20
For economy Stamped Stainless steel grates: http://www.bbqparts.com/cgi-local/wbpart.pl?7527-AM
For Premium Stainless Steel solid rod grates you want to get them from RCPLanebuyer. You should be able to contact him through this Craigslist listing. Don't worry what the CL add is for, just email him an tell him what you are looking for and he will give you a price quote. They are expensive, over $100 shipped, but they are the best.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/for/d/weber-flavor-bars/6545836481.html

Bruce,
Do you have hands on experience with the economy stainless steel rod grates you linked to ? With all the talk about it, I'm now concerned with the bar spacing. I have a Spirit that I'm cleaning up for a family member and as of now, I'm looking at Weber #7586 GBS SS rod grates.

Sure Dave:
This is my thoughts. The amazon grates are good grates. They are stainless, although probably not 304 stainless. There are 13 bars per half grate. They are basically 7mm wide bars.
Comparing that to RCPLanebuyer grates that are high quality 304 stainless and have 15 bars per half grate and basically 10mm wide bars. I would guess that a set of RCP bars is basically double the weight of the Amazon grates.

RCP grates are much better quality than the Amazon grates but at only 1/4 the cost. For my personal grill, I choose the cost and quality of RCP. For flipping grills and budget concious individuals, the Amazon grates are a great deal. They are much more durable IMO than the stamped Stainless grates and will last longer. But, they do have a significantly bigger gap between bars than the stamped steel grates.

I will continue to use the Amazon SS Rod grates for all my rehab grills. Here are some photos and contrast/comparison to my RCP Grates.

Here is a side by side comparison. Amazon left RCP right
w0nJIn3.jpg

Amzon grate rod 7mm
D9JSl3a.jpg

RCP grate rod 10mm
iPVHa4W.jpg

RCP distance between rods 10mm

kFFiFVE.jpg

Amazon distance between rods 16mm

q5utn1R.jpg

There is a significant distance between rods on the Amazon grates. They could have added two more rods and made the distance much better at a small cost.

I hope this helps.

Bruce, how old is the oldest rehabbed grill out there among your customers with those Amazon grates? I would like to try those but I don't want to have them come back at me 6 months later to tell me that the grates warped or started to flake.

Thanks Bruce! I knew RCs were much better. I just couldn't tell from the stock photos how the spacing was on the economy grates. I'm leaning towards the Weber GBS grates for the Spirit 300. Not sure what the rod diameter is on them, but there's 16 rods to a half grate

Dave, you are welcome.

JKim: I just sold my first grill with them two days ago. If I thought it was going to be an issue, I would go for the SS stamped grates for my rehabs. But I really don't think the solid rod grates will be a problem. They are the same size 7mm as weber solid rod grates.

Back