I need to work on my presentation...

- Use natural light, if you can. Take the pic in front of a window
- I think your plate is a tad crowded. Use a bigger plate
- Cut off a piece of the fantastic steak to show off the inside
- Do not take the pic from above. Bend down, and reduce the depth of field a bit, shorter shuttertimes. Or you can blurr out the background in photoshop. Also, you make the colors a bit more vibrant than they are in this picture
- Place the plate on the middle of the table to get a uniform background

That's a start. I know afew more ticks, but I think I want to keep them to myself at the moment. ;)

Good luck. And by the way, the food looks delicious. After all, this is a food forum, and not a photo forum.

Thanks alot. I will try everyone's tips and hopefully my next post will be better

Can't help you with the plated shots Tony, since mine usually suck.
All your pics look fine to me.
You always give a run down on method, ingredients, etc, and to me that's more important than anything.

And, your pork steaks, and sides look terrific!!

sometimes the plain looking meals are best cant eat the plate your posts are some of the best on here

My critique- sorry I don't have a lot of suggestions for improvement:

There's one of each thing without anything to bring them together. Sort of like 5th graders at a school dance trying to avoid touching. The rice in the middle draws my eye, with the meat barely hanging on the edge. How about a bed of rice instead of a pristine mound, and make the steak your central feature?

I would cut the squash into spears, brush with oil, and try to get some carmelization.

Last edited:
Looks delicious!

Easiest things to try:
If you have a light you can use (ceiling, reflected light, flashlight, etc) use that and shut your on camera flash off. Photography is all about light, something as simple as moving light around can make a dramatic difference.

Angle the shot.

Look up the rule of thirds. (I prefer to call it the guide of thirds, but it is what it is.)

More effort:
Set the place on a piece of foam core (black or white depending on the look you want) and have the same color behind it as a backdrop, take the shot at an angle so there is only black (or white) around the plate (no floor showing, no counter, no wall, etc).

When you're ready for more, let me know... I love doing product photography, I just haven't done much with food yet, my wife would think I'm crazy. :)

Last edited:
Looks delicious!

Easiest things to try:
If you have a light you can use (ceiling, reflected light, flashlight, etc) use that and shut your on camera flash off. Photography is all about light, something as simple as moving light around can make a dramatic difference.

Ditto!!!
I'm not sure if you used the flash in this photo or not because I haven't seen the pic since like 4 o'clock this morning... But, I try every way possible not to use my flash on my camera because I have seen so many beautiful photos that have been ruined by a flash... Not sure if this is the case here though... I think that your presentation bothers you a lot more than it bothers us... I'm pretty sure that I'm speaking for everybody when I say that your plates always look damn appetizing to us... Don't sweat it bro... Keep it up...

What Jim said!! Your presentation always looks great and I really appreciate how you take time to say how you are preparing various dishes and your cooking methods. You do a great job always.

Can't help you with the plated shots Tony, since mine usually suck.
All your pics look fine to me.
You always give a run down on method, ingredients, etc, and to me that's more important than anything.

And, your pork steaks, and sides look terrific!!

i will echo what bob said. You are light years ahead of me ,brother. I learn something every time you post a cook.

a80a4b0ae889ae419b86779a034e1bc2.jpg

Just for the fun of it, I gave your picture a three minute treatment in Photoshop. It's by no means perfect, but it's a variation. Horizontal pictures works better in forums. As you might see, I even fixed that ding in our plate. Because of the time used, you can see it really well. It is not perfect, nor is the extention of your table. I hope you like it.

a80a4b0ae889ae419b86779a034e1bc3_zps8a589478.jpg

Thanks Geir. I will take horizontal pics with my iPhone next time. I don't use a regular camera.

Tony, my friend: I don't bump on the pics, cause I'm wishin' I had cooked what I'm seeing. As Geir said, this is food, not photographs. That being said, I don't have anything to add to the good advice you have received...

Tony your cooks look great no matter your photographic skill level. Now if only we could come up with a way to taste what you cook.

I was thinking about plate changes. I only have white or light green. I will buy new ones. Thanks.

Yep Tony I've got the same problem only white plates, wife is going to get some with a pattern and some color. But overall it's about the food and that looks great.

Back