Beautiful grill there Joe, you seem to be in the position I find myself in all
to often. You simply can't keep them all. I would
need a warehouse store all the grills I would like
to keep. Parting with my Glen Blue Platinum was
not easy. Until the guy handed me the $$. That
softened the blow a little. Take pics, make a scrap
book, and send the unpractical grill for your needs,
down the road...
That describes my problem, too. I think my wife has “persuaded” me that a THIRD shed/building on our property is a non-starter, so no way for a dream “grill museum.” There are so many interesting things you could collect and some especially beautiful grills...Joe, this one you did certainly is at the top of that heap. If you can’t display it, don’t want to turn it into a daily driver (and see it get dirty and worn), then put it up for sale now at a price that will soften the blow as Dave says. Be patient and advertise it as broadly as possible. This is a grill that the right person would pay for but for which it will take time to find that buyer.

Last edited:
Ahhh, yep, that grill would be hard to put on the auction block. But, like Jon and Dave say, there is no need to have it just to have it. Take good photos, put it up for sale and start looking for your next project.

Beautiful grill there Joe.
As per usual, this thread drifts off with grate talk.
Opinions on grates are like a certain body part...
everyone has one, and they all stink.
Joe, you seem to be in the position I find myself in all
to often. You simply can't keep them all. I would
need a warehouse store all the grills I would like
to keep. Parting with my Glen Blue Platinum was
not easy. Until the guy handed me the $$. That
softened the blow a little. Take pics, make a scrap
book, and send the unpractical grill for your needs,
down the road.
As for my worthless opinion on grates ... you already
know what to do ... stay original, stay cheap, as the
new owner will want something different anyway.
Thanks Dave - Those are some wise words. I keep thinking, do I even want to mess it up by cooking on it? Maybe I should list it a a fairly high price, and use it until the right guy with cash comes by to "soften the blow". You know, out of all this rehabs I have only cooked on the Q320s and Genesis 2s, never even tried any of the E/W ones I flipped. I used to have a 3 burner silver about 7 years ago, (picked up from the curb) before I knew much about grilling, but it never stole my heart because the knobs where where a table belonged, and it frustrated me. I sure never had a deep box, and can see why Weber went changed to the 5 bar shallow box. Saved them a ton of production money on steel and aluminum. Maybe I should give the grill a few dates and at least try a few cooks, even though I am sort of engaged to my Q320 (I did just buy her a new cover).

If you have designs on selling it, I wouldn't cook on it. The few cooks you do will likely take a big toll on the price you can realize by selling it. You have done a great cleanup and restore on the grill, but as soon as a couple burgers hit the grates, it is going to go from refurbished to used in minutes.

Grab yourself a Genesis 1000 and give it a go. It will cook the same as the 5000.

Would anyone know where I could buy just the rotisserie rod for this grill? I have a couple of brackets from old flippers, a motor and forks from my kettle rotisserie. Just need the rod. That would be a good thing I have always wanted to try on one of these, and with a drip pan under, will not make a big mess.

Just the rod might be tough to find, but you can find the old Roto's they made for these grills on Ebay and the local sale sites fairly often. You would be looking for Weber #9890. You should be able to get one for under $50.

Otherwise, you could find a place that sells metal and get a piece of SS solid square stock and have it machined with the correct notches in it. I would just find one of the complete sets and then you have spares for it. Roto cooking on these old E/W grills is is awesome.

But, I still want to caution you, even roto cooking with a drip pan will spread gunk around.

I would just chime in with Bruce and recommend you try to sell this one spotless as long as you are OK with parting with it. As Bruce said, just get a used 1000 and you can get the same 13 bar cooking experience. I doubt a rotisserie will increase the selling price, but maybe.

You guys are making it tough to try out. I figured I cleaned it up once... I could do it again. It is hard to fall in love without dating;-) If I was to list it, what do you guys think would be a good starting price? Maybe offer a discount to tvwvbb members to try and keep it in the family:) I just checked to see what happened to the one on eBay but could not find it. I did find this though https://www.ebay.com/itm/254440372107?hash=item3b3dd3f78b:g:EPIAAOSwZ5Ra0oKs

I got one of theses last year and eveb resurrected the flame check. I can get the amazon number for you if you want . Mine did not have the nice glass doors. this is the link to the thermocoupler. easy to install and just worked for me. unfortunatley if you want to run just the back heaters you have to have the front one on so the thermocouple is kept hot otherwise it shuts the gas off.

Aupoko Universal Gas Thermocouple, 600 mm Length, M8x1 End Nut and Head Tip Fit for BBQ Grill or Fire Pit Heater or Gas Water Heater​

I wrote a few weeks back on @MarkSiebel restore thread about his 5000 and never got a response. I asked if he is using it or what. Never heard back. He has not been on Since March. Maybe his restore was the end of him.....

I got one of theses last year and eveb resurrected the flame check. I can get the amazon number for you if you want . Mine did not have the nice glass doors. this is the link to the thermocoupler. easy to install and just worked for me. unfortunatley if you want to run just the back heaters you have to have the front one on so the thermocouple is kept hot otherwise it shuts the gas off.

Aupoko Universal Gas Thermocouple, 600 mm Length, M8x1 End Nut and Head Tip Fit for BBQ Grill or Fire Pit Heater or Gas Water Heater​

Thank you but the link does not work. I may pick one up, but I really like the bypass I did. It keeps the valve and button, but you don't need it to light the grill, and you no longer have to keep the front burner on.

Yah, nothing wrong with keeping it and using. But if you plant to sell it, I think you are best of selling it without grilling on it. Not worth having to clean up a whole grill to the point it is now for just a few cooks.

But, if you really want to, it is your grill and have at it. When you own it, you can do whatever you want with it. As for price, I would probably start at $600 or so, maybe $700. It is the right time of year. But, it is hard to say for sure since there are not a lot of comparisons and I have no idea what your market is like.

Mark wrote me back about his Gen 5000 restore:
This grill will NEVER see the light of day (in personal collection in my living room) so that's why I choose indoor paint. It by far is the most viewed grill in my collection.
My wife already said that aint happening.

Well it is more or less finished. I sent back the grates and am waiting for new ones as the ones I got looked painted as you may notice in the pictures. If you look at the picture outside you can see in the upper right my wife's cook box planter. It took me about 2 weeks of a lot more work than I have on any other grill, by a large margin. I had never taken apart a frame or done woodwork on a grill before. Besides the internals such as tubes, flavorizers and grates, the grill is almost 100% original. The wood and everything else was in overall amazing shape for being 30 years old. Only a little surface rust in a few spots that I treated and painted.
View attachment 27610View attachment 27610View attachment 27611View attachment 27612View attachment 27613View attachment 27614View attachment 27615
beautiful

Back