Hunsaker Griddle Plate - Game Changer

MikeLucky

TVWBB Pro
So, I got my new griddle plate yesterday and the wife suggested burgers for dinner tonight so that worked out perfectly.

Lit up a small chimney of coals and spread them out on the coal grate. All I have for oil is olive oil so I didn't want to use that for the first thin layer of seasoning. I took a butter knife and "buttered" a silicone scrubber and put a light layer of shortening on both sides before putting it on the grill.

First was the potatoes, one baked, one hassleback.

IMG_20201001_171354866.jpg

Then the mushrooms and onions

IMG_20201001_182123515.jpg

Burgers and buns

IMG_20201001_183340565.jpg

IMG_20201001_183909968.jpg

Melted provolone and wife made some animal style sauce... and dinner is served.

IMG_20201001_184523763.jpg

Wow, this griddle plate is amazing. I can't wait to make Philly cheese steak sandwiches and full on breakfast. Best $40 I've probably ever spent for my grilling adventures

Last edited:
I totally agree Mike! We love our Hunsaker griddle and have cooked bacon, eggs, hash browns, steaks and smash burgers on ours. It is fantastic!

I went to the website and started an order, and it looks like there's an option for free shipping.

Oh, and cleanup was amazing. Right after I took all the food off and the griddle was still hot I just scraped the whole thing with my spatula and put all the scrapings into one of the handle holes. I shut all the vents and went inside to eat. After I finished eating I took a wet paper towel out and the griddle was still hot, but not too hot. I cleaned it up with the wet paper towel. Then took another "buttered" silicone scrubber and added another very thin layer of shortening to the entire top surface. You want to add this layer on while it's still sitting in the heat to "bake" out on for a non stick surface.

Here's the silicone scrubber I use for seasoning all my cast iron and carbon steel items.

Silicone Sponges, Best Brands

It's perfect for applying that nice thin layer you need for carbon steel and the silicone can handle higher temps without melting or burning. I've even used them as pot holders. Then, you just wash the scrubber with some dish soap and shake dry and it's brand new again.

Last edited:
I've been eyeing this griddle for months - I'm thinking it'd also make a good 'lid' for the Pizza Kettle to deflect heat back down.

I read about it on this forum but do not recall from exactly who. Got mine right before Father’s Day. Here was my first cook on it on Father’s Day.
CF6CA4B9-A01D-4012-83F2-B1039B507F4F.jpeg3A22F6D6-5815-49F7-BB36-C80F4F2744F8.jpeg

Oh, and cleanup was amazing. Right after I took all the food off and the griddle was still hot I just scraped the whole thing with my spatula and put all the scrapings into one of the handle holes. I shut all the vents and went inside to eat. After I finished eating I took a wet paper towel out and the griddle was still hot, but not too hot. I cleaned it up with the wet paper towel. Then took another "buttered" silicone scrubber and added another very thin layer of shortening to the entire top surface. You want to add this layer on while it's still sitting in the heat to "bake" out on for a non stick surface.

Here's the silicone scrubber I use for seasoning all my cast iron and carbon steel items.

Silicone Sponges, Best Brands

It's perfect for applying that nice thin layer you need for carbon steel and the silicone can handle higher temps without melting or burning. I've even used them as pot holders. Then, you just wash the scrubber with some dish soap and shake dry and it's brand new again.
Just a quick note on seasoning. Depending on the seasoning you are using you want the iron to be hot enough so that the oil polymerizes. For Crisco you need the iron to be up around 500° and you need to keep it there for around a hour.

Wiping on thin layers after each cook and not heating properly will create a build up that will eventually have to be removed. Best to do 3-4 cpats using the proper temp, then start cooking. After you have those 3-4 polymerized coats all you will need t od oafter cooking is to clean it off.

Just a quick note on seasoning. Depending on the seasoning you are using you want the iron to be hot enough so that the oil polymerizes. For Crisco you need the iron to be up around 500° and you need to keep it there for around a hour.

Wiping on thin layers after each cook and not heating properly will create a build up that will eventually have to be removed. Best to do 3-4 cpats using the proper temp, then start cooking. After you have those 3-4 polymerized coats all you will need t od oafter cooking is to clean it off.

That's good info. I know that Crisco is a higher temp oil, so that's why I went with it instead of just olive oil. I suppose I could use olive oil at the lower temps instead, right?

Back