Hunsaker Griddle Plate - Game Changer

That's good info. I know that Crisco is a higher temp oil, so that's why I went with it instead of just olive oil. I suppose I could use olive oil at the lower temps instead, right?
You could, but you'd still need to get it up to the temp where it polymerizes. There are charts out there that give the smoke points and polymerization points of oils.

I season my cast iron using Buzzywax now. But in the past always used Crisco. I'd recommend getting a hot fire or fire up your oven and run 2-3 coats of Crisco before your next cook. You'll be good to go after that. Wipe on super thin coat. Then take dry cloth and wipe, then season. Let cool enough to handle repeat.

I've been eyeing this griddle for months - I'm thinking it'd also make a good 'lid' for the Pizza Kettle to deflect heat back down.

Jim, for $40 I think these are carbon steel not stainless. I made a carbon steel one for the top of my pizza cooker and thought I could use it as a griddle too. Nope, it gets too hot and burns off the seasoning when I use it for pizza and you have to reseason it again. Might make another for a griddle as it costs too much for the Hunsaker here in Canada.

Today in Mike Lucky's Griddle adventures, we did sliders....

Charcoal is lit and warming up the griddle and the press.

1604815518112.png

Mushrooms and onions on first with a little bit of butter.

1604815562633.png

1604815592303.png

Burgers smashed and cooked "animal style" with mustard.

1604815638846.png

Cheese melting and buns toasting.

1604815682586.png

Favorite part about the griddle is after I take the food off and even before I go inside with it, I scrape the griddle clean with the spatula and deposit all the stuff into the handle hole into the coals, then spray a light layer of oil on the cleaned griddle to add another layer of seasoning while it's still hot.

1604815825250.png

Homemade special sauce and all the fixings, including air fryer crinkle fries. 12 minutes and nice and crispy.

1604815869577.png

I make one slider that is a In-N-Out Animal Style copycat with lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, grilled onions, and special sauce. The other slider is my self proclaimed French Onion slider.... grilled onions, grilled mushrooms, and Hiland French Onion Dip as the spread. As much as I love the In-N-Out copy cat burger, the French Onion burger is next level good. Get the Hiland French Onion Dip if it's available. It's seriously the best version of the dip I've ever found. I slice up carrots and cucumbers and dip it in that stuff as a snack all the time.

1604816049287.png

1604816071858.png

Every time I use this Hunsaker Griddle Plate I love it more and more. Oh, and that was the first time I used my Lodge cast iron press. It worked out so well. Between the griddle plate and the press I could pound out 100 burgers without even trying.

Last edited:

Back