Huli Huli Real Close To The Real Deal

Rich Dahl

R.I.P. 7/21/2024
Barb and I are big fans of Huli Huli chicken, when we used to go to Maui a lot we would look for the roadside stands.
But the last few times we went which was about 15 years ago the stands were not to be seen going from the airport to Napili Bay.
So we started making it at home.
We have 4 or 5 recipes but this new one we found that Mark Foreman posted in the Greg in Utah thread on his Huli Huli cook, that was in the Hawaii Magazine is as close as I can remember it being at the roadside stands.
This one will be our new go to Huli Huli.

Sorry the pictures aren't real good did the photos as an after thought.

101_6713.JPG

101_6716.JPG

101_6718.JPG

101_6723.JPG

Rich & Barb - Good to hear you liked the recipe.

I stumbled into it quite awhile ago. We make Huli Huli quite often and this is our go to recipe.

Yes, even on the Performer, we Huli!

Looking good, Rich!

We lived in Hawaii when I was a kid and I still remember those stands. After that, my father spent years trying to get his own recipe right. I think I'll try that recipe from Hawaii Magazine just to compare (Dad's is pretty close). And I'll be looking forward to being at Mom and Dad's in two weeks when I know he'll be grilling the huli huli.

Rich,
I love this cook! Did you scale down the recipe since you were only cooking the four thighs?
Michael. I made the full recipe, It was enough for quite a bit more chicken. Note that the recipe doesn't say how much to reserve for basting I put aside about 1/2 cup for that from the total of a little over 2 cups of marinade.

Rich, thanks for the reminder. I made Steven Raichlen's Huli Huli Chicken From Paradise back in "06 and forgot all about it. You know what folder this recipe is going in. lol

One thing I forgot to put in the thread was the slaw we used. It is outstanding with the Huli Huli Chicken.

Easy Pineapple Coleslaw

Ingredients
1/3 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon seasoned pepper )
1 ½ cups shredded red cabbage
1 cup julienned carrots
1 cup broccoli slaw mix
1 cup finely chopped fresh pineapple

Directions

Step 1
Whisk mayonnaise, vinegar, lemon juice and seasoned pepper in a large bowl. Add cabbage, carrots, broccoli slaw and pineapple; toss to coat. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (and up to 1 day) before serving.

Back