HOW TO: Remove Cook Box Slide Rail Screws - The Easy Way

Turns out, this isn't even just for "old" cookboxes.

I just inadvertently twisted a head off one of these on a cookbox from just 2019
In fact, I didn't even know I was doing anything wrong, I just was removing each bolt, and whammy, the head popped right off.

Yah, it doesn't take long for the heat cycles to cause those steel screws to react with the aluminum cook box to freeze them in there. It also doesn't take much to twist off those tiny screw heads. I hope you get it drilled out OK.

It sounds odd…. I used a multi tool with a dull blade to cut a slot in the rounded off head of the screw. The vibrating action seems to help loosen the screw.

Heat works too

I don't doubt that Bpratt. That is why the impact wrench works to get those screws out.

I mean, is it worth it just to always apply this Loctite Anti-Seize lubricant to a new purchase, every time, straight out of the gate?

1657635694486.png

FOr most people that will never take those screws out again, probably not. If you think about it, how many of those old Genesis Silver B's or 1000s have ever had those screws removed once they were installed? Maybe 5 out of 100??? I think these grills were designed with the intent that they would last 10-15 years and then people would simple buy new grills when stuff like drip pans, frames, cook boxes and the like would start to fail.
But, if it is your grill and you think you might want to remove those screws again 5, 10, 15 years from now, then that would be a good idea.

A little of that stuff goes a long ways and doesn’t cost much. I tend to be liberal with using it “just in case,” but like Bruce said it is probably rare that it comes into play. I think for firebox and manifold bolts I feel differently and think you should always do it on those.

FOr most people that will never take those screws out again, probably not. If you think about it, how many of those old Genesis Silver B's or 1000s have ever had those screws removed once they were installed? Maybe 5 out of 100??? I think these grills were designed with the intent that they would last 10-15 years and then people would simple buy new grills when stuff like drip pans, frames, cook boxes and the like would start to fail.
But, if it is your grill and you think you might want to remove those screws again 5, 10, 15 years from now, then that would be a good idea.
Might need an impact wrench to put new screws in the cook box for rails. They sure do not
go in easy.

Just to offer another option, I heated the area that holds the screw for about 30 sec with a propane torch. Sprayed on some rust remover (for thermal shock) then twisted them out with Vice Grips. The threaded portion of each screw was actually not rusty. My Weber is from 1999 and they were the original screws. Hope this helps someone.

Just to offer another option, I heated the area that holds the screw for about 30 sec with a propane torch. Sprayed on some rust remover (for thermal shock) then twisted them out with Vice Grips. The threaded portion of each screw was actually not rusty. My Weber is from 1999 and they were the original screws. Hope this helps someone.
I've used that method to remove a cookbox bolt that I couldn't get out any other way. It works, and fast.

Back