How to get WSM up to 325-350

Rick Smith

HI. Doing a recipe on here for pork butt(bob gibson I think?) Doing the high heat method. States to get WSM up to 325-350 for first 3 hour of cook. Best I can do is around 280? I followed instructions using the minion method but no luck. I am using Kingsford Professional. Any tips?

The minion method was developed for low & slow, seems like your defeating the purpose by using this method. In addition to opening all the vents, you probably need to pour a full chimney full of hot briquettes over the unlit charcoal.

The minion method was developed for low & slow, seems like your defeating the purpose by using this method. In addition to opening all the vents, you probably need to pour a full chimney full of hot briquettes over the unlit charcoal.
the original cook was for low an slow using the minion so with the added fast cook method i still used minion. My mistake. thanks

Also...
The number of lit coals partially determines the temperature range.
The number of unlit coals partially determines for how long you can cook at that temperature range.

The number of lit coals partially determines the temperature range.
The number of unlit coals partially determines for how long you can cook at that temperature range.

+1.

More lit = more heat.

More air = more heat. So crack the lid or the door a bit.

As usual, Chris explains it all.

I learned the skewer trick from Dwain. More lit charcoal does help. You can still do minion somewhat. I would do maybe a full chimney lit for high heat to however much unlit you can put in there. You might even let some of that unlit get going and put the WSM together.

Turn the door upside down and put a wedge in to keep it cracked. The drafting effect will draw more air in to bump the temp up (you don't lose heat with it cracked).

More lit charcoal, could try lump too, it burns a bit hotter. Kingsford competition burns hotter too.
Door cracked, Cajun Bandit door allows this, stock door, not so much.
Use a Big Green Egg ash tool, hung between the lid and the body, similar to what was suggested in using a metal skewer. Keeps the lid slightly cracked and lets more O2 in.
I will also use an ATC on the front vent, with the other three opened, to get up to 400 if needed.

Charlie

Back