How to fit foiled ribs?

Jason L. T.

Could use a little advice please. We like to do the 3-2-1 ribs, but when cooking full racks of spareribs on the 18.5” wsm and foiling them with apple juice, we find they’re normally too long to lay flat for the lid to close. I curl them during the first 3 hours with toothpicks, but how do you guys make the flat foiled racks fit on the 18.5”? Thanks

I to cut them in half before I put them on the smoker. This seems to be the easiest solution especially doing more than one rack. Or it's a good excuse to get the 22 inch smoker!!

How many are you trying to put on a rack? I do two racks of St Louis or baby backs all the time with no problem. I do usually trim off the smaller bones that just get dried out.

I do three in a rack all the time.

Sometimes you go to squeeze after you foil them, but it doesn't really matter if the foil ends touch the dome... Probably keep those ends from over cooking.

If you're going to put a bunch of goo in there with them so that that isn't as good for being on their side cuz it will all run to the bottom.

We do 2-3 racks at a time, but I admit I don’t trim any from the ends. We’re definitely squeezing them right now, but I hope cutting in half will be easier.

Back