How to Clean Out Charcoal Ash after WSM BBQ session?

It just so happens that Weber makes (or used to make) a little shovel for just this purpose. - Jeff

Ash Shovel by Jeff Hasselberger, on Flickr
Well, just remind me that I passed on the last closeout on those I saw! Geeze!
I use the Beherens galvanized bucket with lid and use the old useable coals, when there are any, in the performer with fresh for those projects. I’m “frugal” not cheap. Frugal means use the best completely and minimize waste! Cheap is...well cheap.
Fireplace ash shovels work pretty well for what it’s worth(<$10.00)

Well, just remind me that I passed on the last closeout on those I saw! Geeze!
I use the Beherens galvanized bucket with lid and use the old useable coals, when there are any, in the performer with fresh for those projects. I’m “frugal” not cheap. Frugal means use the best completely and minimize waste! Cheap is...well cheap.
Fireplace ash shovels work pretty well for what it’s worth(<$10.00)

The upside is that the curve in the weird little shovel matches the WSM bowl, so it cleans it out pretty well. If they're history, I guess I'll take better care of mine. :)

I just pull the ring and charcoal grate, then pick up the WSM bottom and dump straight into my berhens bucket. After I dump, I just hit the whole area with my blower to clear out the remaining ash. Then it's ready to go.

I keep my blower plugged in and in my grilling area to use frequently to keep everything clean and clear.

I cannot endorse anything except a metal can with a tight fitting lid. Even ash that has been out for several days can still flare up when placed into a combustible container. Like others I use a Berhens galvanized bucket with lid. I just dump the ash directly into the bucket.

One thing I did npt see mentioned is you need to make sure the ash bucket is stored away from combustible materials If you put hot coals into it the can will get hot enough to start a fire.

Best method is to add water to the can and set it away from combustibles for several days. Then dispose of the ashes.

We had a garbage truck catch fire here 10 or so years ago. They were able to detrermine that somewhere along the route they had picked up BBQ ashes.

I also use the Behrens bucket and I dump the live coals in and cover it. I leave the bucket on dirt because it will burn whatever I place it on. Also, I will sift the charcoal for reusable pieces. Been doing that for years.

Before I started using the bucket, the smoker was too hot to cover with the plastic tarp, so it would end up being out overnight and it rained without fail. The moisture gets in the grill and gets gross eventually. So now I have a shed and can move the grill safely after emptying the ashes - no more problems. Loving that little pail.

Another vote for the Behrens bucket. I dump the ashes usually next day, and can feel that they’re still warm. And it has a cover so it doesn’t get rained on, although I have used water like CaseT.

Back