How rare and what would that be worth? Older Genesis 1000 with side burner?

Yep I bought an old Summit 400 built in a number of years ago. The idiots though had decided to try to disassemble it to scrap it before I could get to Madison to pick it up. But I got a good Blue top, a set of grates (sitting in my dad's grill), some extra burners and side burner parts, a manifold and a couple other misc items. Sadly those jerks had ruined the fire box by the time I had gotten there. Too bad too because that panel (other than being bent) was pristine and rust free

So got it for $20. The frame is worse than i thought and yes one of the grease tray sliders is missing. The grates were shot but the stainless steel flavorizer bars are solid and all are there. Burners look solid to. Except the cross burner. Not sure what to do with the grill yet. I mainly got it for the hood. Would it be a sacrilege to replace the old firebox with a newer less deep version?

Those are definitely in the ball park of RCP grates as far as size and weight. I would grab that grill, maybe offer $40 and you have a steel. If nothing else, pull the grates, put in some shiny new $40 amazon SS rod grates, clean it up and sell it for $250 and you still have a very nice set of SS grates for your own grill. Only problem I can see in that grill is the drip pan is sitting on the bottom shelf...might mean the aluminum slide rails are shot or the drip pan is shot.

I am on the wagon for buying more grills right now, but that one might make me steal a sip.

Bruce,
Isn’t that a little like the recovering guy at AA encouraging his friend to go visit the bar;)?!!

I admit I am tempted both by the grill itself (my favorite model and color) and the grates (they do look really good and have me curious). If it was an hour from here I would be on it for sure in spite of all my determination to the contrary. Fortunately or unfortunately, it would be over a half day round trip. Maybe I could go after work and just get home late...

Joh,
I wouldn't drive more than an hour or so for the grill. Maybe two hours one way if I just wanted to take a drive, but unless you want the grill for some specific reason, I wouldn't drive too far for it. Unless maybe you could talk him down quite a bit. Offer $25, if he bites, then tell the wife not to wait up....just don't do that today. Wait until tomorrow or you might find your belongings on the curb.

Oh, and a word of advice, keep your searches local. Temptation is a bad thing and if you don't know a grill is out there and available, you won't be tempted by it.

Yes, working on resistance:(. There are so many “opportunities” out there but nowhere near enough time to turn them all around. I can’t honestly say I have a half day plus to spend on getting yet another project with so many not even started.

I have made some progress which I will post about more when I get closer to being done. My Weber “graveyard” shed is even starting to become passable. I hope to reorganize it completely when I move out a little more inventory.

Same here. I want to finish the two I have right now and then test the waters how well they sell and if it is worth refurbishing any more. Currently I have my doubts. I have seen lots of Silver B's from around 2005 and later Spirits being offered for as low as $25. Mostly dirty but working. There are even newer Spirit E-310 for $50-$100 including cover on CL like this one:
https://austin.craigslist.org/hsh/d/weber-spirit-e310-gas-grill/6587868498.html
But older Weber Genesis priced $100+ seem to be sitting for days or weeks.

Trouble is the same with me. I take great pains to rebuild AND warranty the mixers I sell but I always get the jerk wads that don't see the value of my 5 to 6 hours of labor, doing all the cleaning, measuring, refinishing, consumables and so on I put in the machines and will always either pass for some broken down clunker or low ball me because they see a clunker for $50.
Yet my machines in many ways are BETTER than they were out of the factory because of all the hand work, better materials and careful adjustments I do to ensure I won't have to eat a repair on it within my warranty period or beyond.
It actually is a little disheartening at times or you have the con artists on FLeaBay selling gray market machines with no warranty (or they're stolen a'la' Tony Soprano style "fell off the truck")
I haven't even had time to get after that Summit I need to refurb and sell. I'n hooping all cleaned up and shiny it gets me $250 to $300

Same here. I want to finish the two I have right now and then test the waters how well they sell and if it is worth refurbishing any more. Currently I have my doubts. I have seen lots of Silver B's from around 2005 and later Spirits being offered for as low as $25. Mostly dirty but working. There are even newer Spirit E-310 for $50-$100 including cover on CL like this one:
https://austin.craigslist.org/hsh/d/weber-spirit-e310-gas-grill/6587868498.html
But older Weber Genesis priced $100+ seem to be sitting for days or weeks.

Stefan,
I know what you are saying. I don’t think any of us expect to make any big $ rehabbing old Weber’s. On the other hand, if you can’t make any return then it is a hobby to reserve for doing grills for yourself, for charity or for special gifts. That is where all of mine have gone to date, so I am pretty anxious as I try to get some of these long waiting projects listed and looking for buyers. I have also seen some discouraging ads, but what I haven’t seen almost ever is a classic Weber that has been properly restored. That is the big unknown to me. Will someone pay enough to make a good quality rehab worthwhile? That doesn’t mean the full rcplanebuyer treatment or buying every conceivable new Weber replacement part, but it does mean thorough cleaning, painting and judicious replacement using decent quality parts hopefully found at a great price. If, having done that, i can’t make at least a few bucks, then I will curtail this activity that my wife resents and only do one every so often for charity or friends. I certainly have more grills myself than I really need:rolleyes:!

I am with you Jon. I think you will do fine with your grills after you restore them. The key is getting them clean and shiny. You are not going to get rich or even feed the family by flipping these grills. But if you look at it as more of a hobby that you can earn a few buck at, then you are good to go. Try going hunting or fishing. You always come home with less money in your pocket then when you started and the fish in the bucket never make up the difference.

Not bashing fishing and hunting, as I love to do them, but rehabbing Webers is one of those hobbies that is "sustainable" monetarily wise.....I guess you can understand that concept Jon. ;)

Bruce,

Yep, that is a perfect comparison. I will let me regular job and tax returns pay the real bills. If my flip grills cover themselves and pay for a few of my indulgences in having and extra old grill or two, then it is all good:eek:!

p.s. I have had some of the worries that Stefan mentions, but again, virtually none of these non-selling, low price grills looked at all properly restored. I hope that will make all the difference!

Last edited:
yeppers. All of my outdoor cooking indulgence purchases have come from money generated by flipping grills. That includes a third Ranch kettle that I'm picking up on Thursday :)

No bites on my $200 Silver B there was an unrestored Silver B right next to my ad for $95 and it's gone so no competition right now.

https://prescott.craigslist.org/for/d/refurbished-weber-silver/6587933615.html

I will have the same one ready in a few days. Except mine has a black hood. I will not loose any money no matter how much it sells for since and it was for free in the first place. I now need to get the inside of the hood cleaned out. What are you guys using for baked on grease and sud? Easy off?

That would sell in my area for $200. Change the listing to say it is a "Special Edition" with the green hood. Very rare. That kind of thing. Maybe a photo or two of the inside of the cook box with out the grates or flavor bars if you got it good and clean inside. People like to see that they won't find a gunked up mess when they stop out to look at it.

Oh, and yah, cleaning up the inside of the hood is a big plus. Take a photo showing your reflection inside there. The inside is black ceramic just like the outside. I use simple green and SS steel wool (household kind) on the inside. I have yet to scratch one. But I only use #000 or #0000 steel wool on the outside.

I do have a possible trick for cleaning up the inside of the lid, but I have to wait to confirm it on my next rehab. I don't know if it was the trick I used on my last hood or if it was just that the backed on carbon was not as bad as usual. It takes a lot of time and scrubbing with Simple Green and SS wool alone but it works.

Last edited:
I will have the same one ready in a few days. Except mine has a black hood. I will not loose any money no matter how much it sells for since and it was for free in the first place. I now need to get the inside of the hood cleaned out. What are you guys using for baked on grease and sud? Easy off?

A razor scraper can be of help. The Weber Kettle Club shows using one of those on the inside of a kettle which is the same porcelain and similar cleanup. It is actually easier on a gas grill hood since most is simple and flat. Remember that porcelain is really a lot like glass so using a razor scraper makes more sense than it may sound at first.

http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-grill-restoration-interior-and-exterior-kettle-cleaning/

Last edited:
Joh, that is exactly the solution I was alluding to in my earlier post. I used a scraper razor blade on my last grill and had the inside of the E310 hood done in a half hour. Probably 1/4 the time or normal.

Back