How much time for 2 8lb Pork Butts?

RobM-WI

How much time should I build in for cooking 2 7-8 lb pork butts on a WSM 14 including rest? Having some people over on Sunday at 2 pm and want it to be ready by then.

I always figure about 10-14hours for a butt. I’ve not cooked on a WSM though.

And then 2 hours to rest.

2 PM??? You better get up at 2 AM. I agree with TimA above. I just did a 3 lb butt yesterday and it took 10 hours (it was a boneless pork shoulder blade roast). It came out amazing, absolutely tender and juicy, not a hint of dryness, tons of bark. No wrap. Done on my drum with a water pan. Low temp to start, high temp to finish. Apple & cherry wood. Good luck and don't forget to have fun. :)

It depends on the temperature you cook it at.

You can hold it as long as you want, even shred it ahead of time, mix some liquid with it, etc.

If it was me I'd probably start about 10:00 p.m. the night before. Probably won't need to wrap it till you wake up in the morning if you wrap it. It'll be done 10 am - noon. At 250 its 11-14 hrs or so usually, a bit faster at 275. You can always kick it up if it's not leaving the stall

If you go low (250) I’d set the thing up and get them on before bed maybe 23:00 night before. If you get up at 06:00 they should be getting good, by 10:00 I’d bet they will be ready to wrap in two layers of foil towels and drop them in a cooler until “Pulling time”.
Thats MY preferred method but, others will have differing opinions.

I have been cutting my butts into pieces lately...following some sound advice.
Pro's and con's to this this of course with the pro's being an shortened cook time.
Nothing crazy, usually a 7 pounder into 3 pieces.

You can cut the cook time substantially by doing a smoke & braise cook. The best braise (imho) is Apple Juice, brown sugar & Spiced Rum. Simply smoke the butt until it hits the stall (approx 165 IT) then put it in your braise (I have my braise under my butt catching the drippings) seal up with foil and let it ride to 200. Doing this will knock off a minimum of two hours, and believe it or not, it's an excellent method. Great flavor

Hmmm. Have to try that.
Start early and let it rest?
Or, have it all prepped and ready to slide into the  oven smoker around 4 - 6.
275 to 300. Wrap if needed. Let rest until 2

Update, put them on at 11PM running 250. Hit 170 internal on the top one at 4:30AM and the bottom one was at 165 so decided to just wrap it as well. Top one finished at 7AM and bottom at 8am for a 8-9hr total cook time. The combined weight of the two was 15.78lbs bone in from Costco.

Update, put them on at 11PM running 250. Hit 170 internal on the top one at 4:30AM and the bottom one was at 165 so decided to just wrap it as well. Top one finished at 7AM and bottom at 8am for a 8-9hr total cook time. The combined weight of the two was 15.78lbs bone in from Costco.
Wrapping definitely will save you time to get thru the stall. So your time makes sense to me.

Back