How much pork should I smoke

Bruce R

TVWBB Member
I am hosting a party of 25 people. 11 are men and 14 are women. I am planning on smoking at least two butts and some racks of ribs. I am not sure how many butts I should smoke. Two for sure. We will have other fixins too. Any thoughts on how much a 15 lb butt will feed? Thank you!

From this article: Pork Butt Selection & Prep - Pork Butt Yield

When you take into account trimming the fat before cooking, the shrinkage that occurs during cooking, and some waste when pulling the meat, you'll end up with a 40-60% yield of edible meat from a pork butt. For example, an 8-pound untrimmed pork butt will yield 3-5 pounds of edible meat after trimming and cooking.

If you're cooking pork butt for a group, figure 4-6 ounces of meat per sandwich. Assuming a 50% yield, an 8-pound untrimmed pork butt will yield 16 4-ounce sandwiches or almost 11 6-ounce sandwiches.

Chris's portion of 4-6 oz per sandwich has worked well for me. For ribs I've pre-cut the ribs in 2-rib portions. Easy one-hand size.

I've done the cutting before and after the cook. I portioned the racks before the feast because I had didn't have anywhere to cut them at the dining location. Worked very well. Strung the 2-rib portions on edge on skewers with just a gap between to allow the smoke to pass through. When almost done, pulled the ribs off the skewers, sauced and foiled and finished over the heat. Left the ribs in the foil packs (cooler to transport) and unpacked on location.

I agree with Chris. 50% yield from weight on the case or cryovac should be pretty close. Caterers in these parts generally go with 6 oz each if any will be eating pork with a fork, though. 15 lb butt? Sure it's not TWO butts in a cryovacpac?

I agree with Chris. 50% yield from weight on the case or cryovac should be pretty close. Caterers in these parts generally go with 6 oz each if any will be eating pork with a fork, though. 15 lb butt? Sure it's not TWO butts in a cryovacpac?

Always two with mine. Depending on side's, 6oz. is the min. per person that i would do. Always better to have plenty of left over that can be frozen so easily.................d

Bruce,

Instead of a regular size bun... Try these... I use them a lot and are great for kids as well as adults... Kinda helps with portion control when I have over the whole fam damily when I have limited space or multiple types of meat to smoke...
Pepperidge farms slider buns
6E18F356-C73C-421F-B288-0C33E1534ACE-3916-0000041B1CB30A32_zps73f612a9.jpg

Exellent tip on the slider buns. To me worst case scenario would be 8oz per person. Should be plenty with preprations for 'doggie bags' requets for your guests. I'd rather guests take leftovers so I can cook more often.

Great suggestions everyone. Love the idea of the slider buns especially since there will be more women at this party. I'm thinking four 8 lb butts should do it with plenty of leftovers. Question? How much more cooking time should I anticipate when adding two additional butts?

You'll have plenty of leftover pork. I'd allow another hour. That's simply to allow for a longer period of time for the cooker to come up to your target cooking temp, and the fact that you've got twice the meat, on two different racks to check and pull.

Back