How much lit charcoal for a Bbq Temperature Controller. (Pitmaster IQ 110)

Nicholas Cole

I’ve been lurking on here for quite awhile now. I have a 22 WSM and have added some cool accessories. From the firedial (did amazing with chicken!) and Lavalock’s Rib Hanger. Great products from Lavalock! Now, I’m having trouble shooting with my Pitmaster IQ 110. It’s working fine, but I’m thinking I’m adding too much lit charcoal. If I’m doing a minion method or Soo’s donut, how much lump or KBB should I be lighting up in the chimney so I don’t have high temperatures? When I do this, the water pan is filled with water. I want this setup especially during triple degrees of dry California heat!

All and all… My bbq was well received for my father in law’s Father’s Day as well as announcing our pregnancy of our first child. I didn’t get the chance to try the firedial and rib hanger that day due to being nervous of feeding 6 adults and two picky eaters, and most of all the biggest news of our lives! Anyways I’m ranting! This has been a great community and I have been learning a lot. From everyone here!

When using the Tin-Can/Soo's Donut method I add +/-15% of lit briqs to the total volume of the charcoal ring.
The 14.5 charcoal ring can hold +/-100 briqs. Fill the charcoal ring around the tin-can and remove 15 briqs for ignition. This method has stood me in good stead for years.

Initially you would have to count how many briqs fill your 22 charcoal, and then do the calculation accordingly.
Let's say the 22 charcoal ring holds 200 briqs. (15x200)/100 = 30.

My 0.02p. YMMV.

Someone else chime in regarding lump, as I don't use it in the WSM.

Well the problem with your pitmaster IQ 110 is likely that it does not have any kind of damper to shut off air. If you add too many coals and it drafts air thru it, it won't shut it off.

This is why we invented the dampers that are on our blowers in the heater meter forum.... We can actually restrict the air nearly completely to bring temperature down and control that. Some types of blowers on some controllers have a small flapper to attempt to do that as well.

I take 1/2- 2/3 of a chimney of lit coals and spread them out on top and let my ATC do its thing. There ain't no minion method or such BS needed with an ATC. It controls the rate of burn by controlling the amount of air available..... When you have a damper that can shut the air off.... Completely...Usually want it to burn and heat up the coals and the wood for 30 to 45 minutes before I put food on, and I don't mind if it's hot during that time like 300 or so... Because when I put that block of 40° meat in there the temperature does not come back up to where it was immediately. So it starts off a lot closer to where you want it if it's hot to start with. When I go to cook chicken at 350 f... It's a full overflowing chimney that I light and put in there.

Here's a screenshot of a brisket I cooked last weekend at 270 f. When I first started the coal's at the far left.... The temperature was about 325F, I brought that down to about 295F and held it there until I added the brisket, then the controller cooked it at 270. At the end of the chart it was 240 because it was ramping down to hold the meat at 160 once it reached the target temp, in case I oversleep. Which I did, but just a little bit. As soon as that set point starts ramping down the meat temperature quits going up it stops in its tracks.

After about six or eight hours the ash on the cold starts making them a little bit unsteady on temp control. To make it really lying out and not fluctuate by a few degrees need to knock the ash off of them. But I don't do that I just leave it alone. A 5° f fluctuation ain't no big deal.

Attachments

• PXL_20220626_150522610.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220626_150522610.MP.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
When I had WSMs I would only put 6-10 briquettes on during the summer and let the heat build up gradually. I had one of the first Aubers and it would raise the temp in a controlled manner. You don't need new equipment, just fewer lit coals.

I have a 22 and I run a 110 in mind for those long cooks I start off with a full chimney and burn Half a chimney and bring it up to temp and then I turn on my IQ everything is closed except for the top damper leave that open a little bit I don’t use a water pan

Attachments

• D17F81E2-4F2F-4709-8166-68FA8305EAC8.png
    D17F81E2-4F2F-4709-8166-68FA8305EAC8.png
    723 KB · Views: 7

Back