How Monty got his brisket groove back

Monty House

TVWBB Pro
The last brisket I cooked was a Costco Prime using the BP method and it was a big flop. So, after cooking many a brisket, I had--for the first time--a little self-doubt. I volunteered to cook one for a friend who is laid up, so I bought another Costco Prime (16 lb. untrimmed, $2.99/lb.) and decided to go Old School and do a L&S overnighter.

Hope your windows are shut at midnight, nice neighbors.... Houston, we have ignition on about 25-30 briquets for Jim Minion's brilliant invention

Trimmed with Montreal applied

Propped up in my 18.5" with a box cheese grater thoroughly sprayed with Pam

Had one good sized hunk of pecan left that barely allowed the door to close given the amount of KBB I stuffed in there for my overnighter

Closed the windward vent and left the leeward ones open 25%. Filled water pan and went to bed with temp barely at 200. Got up and checked 7 hours later to find the bulletproof WSM sailing along right around 235. Meat was mid-160's and in the thick of its stall.

Started spritzing with my concoction of Shiner Bock and apple cider vinegar (about 4 or 5-to-1). At 14 hours, internal temps were 195-200 and she probed tender. Went into several sheets of foil, then a beach towel before fitting into a faux cambro with lots of newsprint filling dead air pockets. Rested for 4 hours and was still nice & hot.

No "after photos," as the completed packer was taken to that friend. All-in-all? One of the best I've ever cooked. Sticky bark.... passed the over-the-finger + tug test.... fat was silky and cooked.... juicy.... point was decadent and rich. Phew. A confidence (re)builder.

Nice, Monty! Way to get back on the horse. How come nobody makes me brisket when I'm laid up?!? ��

R

I'm in!
I like the box grater for helping making the rascal fit! Now, I'd really like to do one for Easter but, a ham is already in the fridge! Maybe for "Low Sunday" next week....

That's showin em who's boss. Love the grater thing, I'm doing my first full packer on smoke day on my 18.5 so I'll have to prop mine up also. Hope mine come out as good as yours.

Well done - looks great. I travel to Texas for work and love Shiner Bock. Inspired choice for spritzing.

One of the best I've ever cooked. Sticky bark.... passed the over-the-finger + tug test.... fat was silky and cooked.... juicy.... point was decadent and rich.
Good for you Monty! Very Happy It Was Successful! AND Happy to see you back in here posting!

Looks good. Thumbs Up!

Shiner Bock...about 10 years ago I was at a sports bar in Lawton, OK. SB was on the "import" side of the menu (in other words, $1. more). I asked the management why and they had no reply. I said "the last time I checked Texas in IN the U.S. and just south of us".

Shiner Bock...about 10 years ago I was at a sports bar in Lawton, OK. SB was on the "import" side of the menu (in other words, $1. more). I asked the management why and they had no reply. I said "the last time I checked Texas in IN the U.S. and just south of us".

An OK bar carried a TX beer?!?!

Back