How long is safe?

Darren Wilson

TVWBB Member
I placed some chicken in to brine (covered all the pieces) and placed in the fridge in a tupperware type air tight container on Sunday evening.

I forgot about them last night as had other things distracting me, and just checked the fridge to see that the brine has turned red (I would assume from residual blood in the thighs).

These have been kept at 40F or below in the bottom of the fridge.

Would these still be safe to prepare & cook for tonight or would it be best to chuck them and do something else instead?

The food danger zone is between 40F - 140F. I've never experienced a brine turning red. If it were me and there was ANY doubt in my mind, I would not prepare the chicken.

The food danger zone is between 40F - 140F. I've never experienced a brine turning red. If it were me and there was ANY doubt in my mind, I would not prepare the chicken.

That is what is concerning me. It could be from the bones where I have trimmed the thighs down, but I would rather be safe than sorry!

I'm with james, totally not worth it. Im not a germaphobe but I dont know how anyone would willingly eat things they even had doubts of being questionable. If you have ever had food poisioning, once is enough.

Just confirmed what my original thoughts were in that best to throw away.

Hopefully I won't forget about it next time!!!

Good decision Darren.
Did you intend an overnight brine?

For chicken or pork cuts I only brine for two or three hours prior to cooking.
Chris has a chart for brine times here:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brining.html#howlong

I intended to cook the chicken Sunday night, but on taking it out of the fridge, it was still partially frozen, so decided to brine it overnight as the final part of the defrosting process to cook Monday afternoon instead. With phone ringing and having to run about yesterday I forgot all about them until this morning! I have just emptied the brine container and the chicken smelt funny (could be the small bits of fat that had come off the skin that was in the brine as well), so it is now in the bin ready for the collection tomorrow.

The homemade burgers I took out of the freezer at lunchtime today are still frozen, so they will be tomorrows dinner instead as had to buy fresh ones for tonight (cannot go 3 nights in a row on brisket!).

If the chicken had been in the refrigerator for those two days at the same temperature, in the packaging it came in, would you be concerned about its safety? I don't think the mere fact it was in your brine solution (at the same temperature as everything else in the fridge) would make it unsafe to eat. I'd cook it, if it were me.

I disposed of it anyway as it didn't smell good at all & the meat felt slimy event though it had been kept at <40F in the fridge in the brine.

Probably just soaked long enough to draw out the blood that is by the thigh bones at times. My buddy par boils his chicken to get rid of this before making fried chicken. He learned it from an old lady who he said made the best fried chicken he has ever had.

Back