How can I save this dented WSM lid?

a galarneau

TVWBB Member
FygnwXk

Somebody whacked the lid good, it won't fit neatly atop the midsection any more.

I guess I could just hammer it back, but then don't I risk making it even more out of round?

google google ... looks like they don't sell replacement lids.

All suggestions appreciated.

I cant see your pic but my old labs took out my 18" lid while roughhousing. It was slightly egg shaped. I took a ratchet strap and a small block of 1x4 and slowly brought it back into round.
Place the block on the worst part of the out of round.

Tim

That pic is helpful Bob!
If you have a large enough Quick-grip or bar clamp reverse the jaws and use it as a spreader.

Tim

Looking at the pic, it looks to me that just a small area has been flattened as though it was dropped on that spot. If that is the case, the lid might not be out of round but just that small section is flattened. How old is the WSM? If it is new enough, maybe call Weber and see if they will replace it. Just a thought.

Handyman jack would work, might be overkill though. If you do use a hammer, place a piece of 2x4 on the other side to spread the blow

I would try cutting a 2x4 to the proper circumference, like this: ).
And then place the dented portion of the lid on a sandbag.
With the wood block against the dented section of the lid, I would hammer the wood block: >)).
Might work.
Or cut a 3/4" piece of plywood into a circle of the proper diameter & try hammering it into the lid.

Last edited:
Take a small piece of 2X4 and a hammer and beat it out. Put the 2X4 against the inside of the lid and hit the wood with the hammer. Start out with lighter blows and increase until it starts to move. If the porcelain finish is damaged, don't worry. The grease build up will keep it from rusting, or get some high temp spray paint from Lowes or Home Depot and paint it.

I would start by tracing the outline of the lid on a large piece of cardboard, then rotating the lid so the flat spot is sitting on the trace of the undamaged part. That will show you the location and extent of the damage. Cut a piece of wood to the correct inside diameter of the lid, and another slightly larger than the correct outside diameter - you will have to pull the dent slightly beyond the final diameter because, due to the elasticity of the metal, it will spring back when you release the tension. Position the two wood pieces on the inside and outside of the dent, and use a clamp to squeeze them together. Use the traced outline as a template to judge your progress. You may still have to do some hammering to fine-tune the result.

All good suggestions, I like the expanding ratchet one quite a bit. It's a little slower than the rubber mallet but, those would be my first steps.

Back