How about some good music links?

Ever once in a while, to change up my musical listening, I will turn into Texas Rebel Radio KFAN 107.9 radio. A different local type music station with an eclectic genre combining known songs as well as other lesser recognized artists that will capture my attention. Today tuning in, I heard a sassy song with a voice that caught my attention: Emily West- This lady has some pipes!
The song on the radio that started this musical journey was "Annie Gonna Get A New Gun." While more honky-tonkish, it provoked me wanting to learn more, I think it was the lyrics more than the actual singing. But put lyrics aside, the cover songs that I found were the ones that impressed me just the same.

Something about this vocalist reminds me of Patsy Cline only with a little more range; tell me if you agree.
Folks, I present to you sections from Emily West... look beyond the first one below to hear the true depth of the talent.

Annie Gonna Get A New Gun:

Robert Plant with his band "The Honeydrippers" did a cover back in the day of Phil Phillips' song: Sea of Love." Emily kills this cover with her version.
Sea Of Love:
For reference and additional music listening pleasure,
This is the original Phil Phillips song: Sea Of Love
This is the Robert Plant cover from the early 80's: Sea Of Love

Dolly Parton wrote a song that Whitney Houston made just as famous. Anyone who can cover this classic and do justice to both versions should be listened. Treat yourself to this improvised version-
(...at least skip to about the 3:15 mark)
I Will Always Love You:

I am on another hobby website that also has a music sub-forum. One of my last postings there over the weekend was a few selections from Leon Russell, I share them here with you too:

Leon Russell- One of the most underrated musician that you have probably heard but did not know who he was. Too many accolades to try and list among the many song writing credits and artists with whom he collaborated and performed.

A Song For You

Stranger in a Strange Land

Back in the Island

Leon is a Tulsa, OK icon. Hard for people around here to have not known him. He had a studio and record producing company in Tulsa. Shelter Records was the name and they recorded Tom Petty's first demo.

The studio was an old church Leon bought in the 70s, called it Church Studio. Its under renovation now and will be a historical site in Tulsa.

https://thechurchstudio.com/

Circa 1970 to 1972, there was a Saturday late night locally produced TV show on a Tulsa station, called " Mazeppa Pompazoidy's Uncanny Film Festival " . Came on after the late news and Mazeppa was a guy named Gaylord Sartain , who went on to have a career in comedy and movies, was a regular on Hee Haw. Leon was a frequent guest, along with another Tulsa native, Gary Busey . Who had a character called " Teddy Jack Eddy " . All three had successful careers.

Where I lived , we had to go outside and turn the TV antenna toward Tulsa to get the show. We would all gather at a buddy's house on Saturday night and it was a special show when Leon was on.

And at that time, I had an 8-Track tape of Leon's " Mad Dogs and Englishman " tour with Joe Cocker. That one is still worth digging into. There's even a DVD now.

Believe it or not, today is Bob Seger's 76th birthday. Instead of a clip from his SBB days, here's one from his early years:

We all know that everyone in the band can sing and Robbie Robertson did say at one point he wrote song specifically for one person in mind to sing. I like the band a lot and like all the different singers but Levon Helm does it the most for me.

He was just 18, proud and brave, but a Yankee laid him in his grave

Last edited:
We all know that everyone in the band can sing and Robbie Robertson did say at one point he wrote song specifically for one person in mind to sing. I like the band a lot and like all the different singers but Levon Helm does it the most for me.

He was just 18, proud and brave, but a Yankee laid him in his grave

Yea, I was 10yrs old when they released Music from Big Pink. I didn't really appreciate it till 72 when we played it on the jukebox at high school.
Interesting thing I learned on Levon. He quit the band after they toured with Bob Dylan in 66-67. He was tired of getting booed off the stage when Bob went electric guitar.
He was working on oil rigs when the band talked him back for big pink.
There is a documentary on Robbie Robertson and the band on Netflix, must watch IMO.

Edit: Sorry it was on Amazon
I have prime so it was free at that time

Last edited:
Yea, I was 10yrs old when they released Music from Big Pink. I didn't really appreciate it till 72 when we played it on the jukebox at high school.
Interesting thing I learned on Levon. He quit the band after they toured with Bob Dylan in 66-67. He was tired of getting booed off the stage when Bob went electric guitar.
He was working on oil rigs when the band talked him back for big pink.
There is a documentary on Robbie Robertson and the band on Netflix, must watch IMO.

Edit: Sorry it was on Amazon
I have prime so it was free at that time
Yeah, seen the documentary a few times, it is pretty awesome.

Thanks for this post, it’s actually amazing, the tuning and everything about this aside from the woman singing sounds just like Eric and the boys.

I just wish they were releasing this on dvd and the two cd's .

This is not first time Derek Trucks has played this EC tune, here with the Allman Bros and Eric at the 2013 Crossroads Guitar Fest.

And Derek is playing Duane Allman's gold top Les Paul .

Last edited:

Back